Autopilot questions

Morgan3820

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
El Conquistador
Just received my Arrow from the shop with an Aspen and a Trutrak. I knew that there would be some tweaking adjustments needed.
First issue: when on GPSS and i guess track mode the AP over shoots a little bit when turning to a new course. It is not a big deal but How would this be adjusted. Gain up or down?
Second issue: This is a bigger concern. Flying an RNAV approach, all is fine until the GS is coupled. The AP has a hard time staying on the glide slope, It porpoises up and down, going through the glides slope. Once I set the second notch of flaps things smoothed out. This was not what I was expecting. I see on YT videos where the AP does a god job of staying on the GS so I am thinking that there is an adjustment needed.
And before everyone throws the installer under the bus. I think that he is fine. He was on schedule and on budget. He did an orientation flight with me. He came in on a Saturday to accommodate my schedule. He acknowledged that the GS coupling was an issue. And maybe he should have had it fixed but I figure that this is an adjustment thing that I could do.

I have a friend with an arrow that added the same equipment ,he also needed some minor adjustments, auto pilot working fine after adjustment.

For the porpoising, did your installer check cable tensions? Do the yokes move fore and aft freely? Make very sure of those before messing with settings. If both of those are fine, then the vertical gain might need adjustment.

Back