Autopilot problems and upgrades?

William Pete Hodges

Line Up and Wait
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Petehdgs
I own a 1964 Mooney Super21 that has an OEM ARC/Cessna Nav-O-Matic 300 autopilot. It has been working but I noticed it did not work in cold temperatures. When I started having the same problems with my AI and DG I concluded the grease or oil in the instruments was getting old, so I pulled both instruments and the AP Gyro and sent them out for repair. After repairs My Autopilot does not stabalize the aircraft and tends to roll. This is possibly a bad pickup inside the Gyro. I intend to send it back to Mid-continent Avionics and ask them to re-examine it, but because of the age it may not be possible to get parts or expertise to resolve it.

Has anyone here had and OEM ARC/Cessna Nav-O-Matic replaced with a more modern unit? Were you happy with the results? What kind of $$ was involved?

I am basically looking for options here. I don't use the AP all that much, but if possible I would still like it to be available if possible.

Thank you all in advance.

I’m sure some will have ideas, $$ involved along with options. I’m not one to put $$ into an old A/P, or spend bookoo amounts to replace it. The 1st question is how much single pilot IFR you plan? If it’s ‘soft’ IFR, can get by without.

Just comes down to priorities with me, that $15k is needed somewhere else.

Pete, I just spoke with Mid-Continent today and was informed that, after a tremendous wait time, the Aero Cruze 100, which was approved for some Mooney models last year, will begin to ship during the first week of October.

No telling if there will be another delay... Apparently they have been waiting only on the servos.

Before this autopilot was bought out by Bendix King, it was owned by Tru Trak and we were a dealer for them. We have found it to be a good product.

Let me know if you are interested. Maybe we can help.

Cheers.

Back