Automatic volume attenuator for HDMI

RJM62

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Geek on the Hill
Anyone have a schematic for an automatic volume attenuator / regulator for HDMI? I'm tired of getting my eardrums blasted out every time the volume on a movie goes from whispering to explosions (or whatever).

Thanks,

-Rich

The HDMI signals are all digital, you'll need to run it through a microprocessor of some kind.

Fortunately that's been done for you. Google 'hdmi volume levelers'. I've never used one so I can't recommend a particular model.

Every HDMI source and almost every HDMI sink I've ever used has included provisions for limiting the dynamic range of the audio as you're trying to do. Read the manual for your DVD player / cable box / TV and look at the audio adjustments. Usually the feature you're looking for will have "dynamic range" in the name or description, but sometimes not. Sometimes it's called "night mode". The description will almost always talk about limiting the volume of the loudest sounds.

I'd be shocked if your devices don't already do what you want them to do.

Every HDMI source and almost every HDMI sink I've ever used has included provisions for limiting the dynamic range of the audio as you're trying to do. Read the manual for your DVD player / cable box / TV and look at the audio adjustments. Usually the feature you're looking for will have "dynamic range" in the name or description, but sometimes not. Sometimes it's called "night mode". The description will almost always talk about limiting the volume of the loudest sounds.

Okay, thanks. I'll check. I never thought of that, quite honestly.

-Rich

Yep. I was going to say the same thing.

The question is, why would you want to? I say keep all the dynamic range the producer had intended in their creative design work.

Sounds like you may need to tune the dialogue levels. I have test discs (somewhere) that helps to calibrate sound levels from all 5 speakers and also a color palette for the viewing source. I forgot where I got it, but IIRC you can get test discs for less than $30 bucks. SPL meters and colorimeters are another thing pricewise, but usually your eyes and ears can get you in the ballpark.

The question is, why would you want to? I say keep all the dynamic range the producer had intended in their creative design work.

I'm not sure the guys producing late night informercials had a lot of creative design in mind when setting the volume to be as loud as possible.

But I agree with the concern, even with movies. It's one thing if you have a home theater in a detached house -- but if you're in an apartment you don't necessarily want the explosions and gunfire to be as loud as the producer intended. I'd like to be able to hear quiet dialogue without disturbing my neighbors ever time something loud happens.

Sounds like you may need to tune the dialogue levels. I have test discs (somewhere) that helps to calibrate sound levels from all 5 speakers and also a color palette for the viewing source. I forgot where I got it, but IIRC you can get test discs for less than $30 bucks. SPL meters and colorimeters are another thing pricewise, but usually your eyes and ears can get you in the ballpark.

I have found to my frustration that most movies absolutely blast the volume during all the little production credit stuff... especially the DTS or dolby digital things. Then TV series pump the sound up for their titles pretty often.

The result is my wife is covering her ears initially demanding the volume go down, then we're having to turn it up again after the show starts in order to understand what anyone is saying.

In audio speak you are looking for a "compressor". Allows you to set the upper threshold then "compresses" any level that exceeds that while maintaining the audio integrity . We use them daily in Pro Audio...now sure how they are or can be integrated into Home Theater with HDMI...that is a whole different world.

I've always wished that car radios included optional compression, because I listen to classical music quite a lot.

Because there seem to be a lot of sadists in the ranks of creative producers. The variation is just too much. I alternately go from having to strain to hear (and turning the volume up) to being half-deafened by volume so loud that it actually hurts. It's just too much -- creativity notwithstanding.

I suppose that digital has given multimedia artists a much wider dynamic range to work with, and they want to utilize it to its maximum effect. I part-timed for a while at a TV station years ago, back in the analog days, and I doubt that the old analog equipment could have come close to the range that's commonplace today without clipping the wave.

I haven't had a chance to check for a setting in the box yet, by the way. I'll get to it, though.

-Rich

Last edited:
I've always wished that car radios included optional compression, because I listen to classical music quite a lot.

Most car stereos with microphones for Bluetooth also have a road noise compensating mode these days. If you have one or those poke in he menus a bit. My '04 Yukon had it from the factory. It's not as smart as the one in the Kenwood in the other truck, but it does a pretty good job until I'm on the washboards.

The mic in the '04 was for OnStar on the old AMPS network which is long dead and no one (including me) had any desire to upgrade the module to CDMA. I suspect anything with BlondeStar installed will do it.

Well, the Blu-Ray / streaming box in question does in fact have a setting to reign in the volume. Who'da thunk that Samsung would bury it in a batch of settings labeled "Audio Preferences?" :mad2:

Unfortunately, I was unable to test the setting because my Internet connection became unstable for a few hours last night, and I didn't feel like re-watching a DVD I'd already watched. I'll probably test it with a Netflix movie this evening. Thanks.

-Rich

Back