Automatic Go-Around Alert

Dihedral

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Dihedral
Yesterday, KLGA tower was issuing the following advisory to arriving aircraft:

"Be advised, we have a snowbank on radar that may trigger an automatic go-around alert so be prepared for that."

Is anyone familiar with the operational details of the automatic go-around alerting system?

AMASS (Airport Movement Area Safety System) in a computer that uses AI to determine from the ASDE-3 (Airport Surface Detection Equipment) radar data when there's likely to be a runway incursion. Apparently, it wasn't programmed to handle drifting snow. It was determined early on in the program that if it gave the alert only to controllers the lag between the controller getting it and relaying an instruction to the pilot would NOT be sufficient to avoid collisions, so it broadcasts them to aircraft and the tower.

Hmmmm.... I would think that removing the offending snowbank would be in order, but what do I know? I used to fly a Cessna Conquest that on short final would alert me to trains. (terrain)

Huh Learn something new everyday. Never knew that they had something automatic. "Cool"

Hmmmm.... I would think that removing the offending snowbank would be in order, but what do I know? I used to fly a Cessna Conquest that on short final would alert me to trains. (terrain)

Back in the 90s, flying the TACAN approach to Ellsworth AFB SD the radar altimeter would give a low alt warning as you crossed the bluff on the south side of a valley, the runway was on a lower bluff on the north side of the small valley.

Back