Automatic call screener

ebetancourt

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Ernie
We are "fortunate" enough to be on a bunch of solicitation and sales lists apparently. With caller ID if we don't recognize the number as one we want to talk to, we just let it ring. Sometimes that's annoying.

Recently I've taken to answering some of these with my best automation voice:
"You have reached the call screening device for this telephone line. Your number is not recognized. Leave a message to register your number." A short deep whistle and presto, they hang up. (except for one that was a legitimate call).

Someone invent something that does that with a list of acceptable numbers that let the phone ring and go to regular voice mail or get answered.

I'll buy one!

Ernie

Use your favorite search engine to search for "call screening device with whitelisting."

Or build yerself a little Linux box and build a system you like around Asterisk.

Rich

Employ Tom Mabe.

or Roy D. Mercer.

First thing: sign up for the the government do not call list: DoNotCall.gov. Of course, some people violate that and the corrupt slimeballs in Congress enacted exemptions for themselves (political calls) and alleged charities and surveys.

Second: block unidentified calls. This is usually a trivial or no cost option from TPC. I have one called call intercept which allows them to record a message. I can tell you that there are a few people who hit the call intercept trap (and they never leave a message).

Third: If you are eligible....sign up for NOMOROBO.COM. This has worked very well for me. It requires you to be able to do simultaneous ring with another number. How it works is you set up your phone to also ring NOMOROBO. They check the Caller ID against their database of known phone spammers and pick up the call for you and play them a message. You know you've had a NOMOROBO intercept because the phone rings only once.

Lastly, don't answer any call you don't recognize. I've got VM that lets me eavesdrop on messages and I can tell you that usually phone spammers don't leave messages.

None of this entails any real cost or equipment installation.

If I do all that, I won't be able to have fun telling the extended warranty spammers that I just totaled my car a couple days ago.

No need to re-invent the wheel. Google Voice already does that. Recognized numbers can get through and unknown numbers will get some default message "state your name and purpose of call" or so, allowing you to screen the calls. Also, calls with blocked ID or "unknown" can be sent directly to the sh*thead pile where they get some default message "your call has been blocked, f***er". :)

Consumers Union has started a petition:

https://consumersunion.org/end-robocalls/

Personally, I love the non-native-english speakers telling me I have a problem with my computer and they're oh-so-happy to help me fix it. I play incredibly dumb and let them go on and on but at some point I mention that the buttons and instructions they are giving me just don't work and I don't know why...Just drives them up the wall.

Oh gee, could it be because I'm on unix?

My new script:

You're calling from India on a VOIP line thru Dallas. This is to inform you that this call is being recorded for submission to both the US State Dept and the FBI. Because you are using profanity on US networks on the VOIP line, you are subject to US Telecommunication law and what you are doing is a felony. The US State Dept will be very happy to contact its Indian counterpart, as will the FBI.

By the time I get to the FBI comment, they're long gone. But only after they spout some very unimaginative profanity. Originally the script was "you're calling from either Pakistan or India"....and one of them stupidly admitted it was India.

Last edited:
I speak softly and keep them talking for a couple of minutes. Speak softly so they will listen close. Then I yell as loud as I can. Wish I had one of those nice police whistles! if I can make their ears ring, it will save at least one other person from being bothered, until they can hear well again.

Imagine if thousands of us started blowing police whistles into the ears of these idiots. Maybe some would get real jobs, like cleaning out barns. Well, India worships cows and doesn't have barns, so maybe they would shovel the holy droppings out of the roads?

The ones that call saying I have a problem with my computer, I ask them what kind I have. What OS, what bit, and then after they answer, ask them how they know all that, because I don't actually own a computer. Stunned silence is usually the response.

I love the political calls, I can usually get them to agree with the platform of the opponent, and then ask why they are calling on behalf of their candidate when they really shave views with the other one.

What are y'all talking about? Got rid of my land line in 2003 and can count on one hand the number of telemarketing and robo calls I've gotten since.

What are y'all talking about? Got rid of my land line in 2003 and can count on one hand the number of telemarketing and robo calls I've gotten since.

I get MORE on my cell phone than I did on my now defunct landline.

I will look into the product suggestions. Should have known they are out there. Charities, political solicitations and "affiliates" of who you do business with make the do not call list only marginally helpful.

One of the latest problems is that the calls are now being routed through local numbers frequently.

Ernie

Back