Autoland For GA Airplanes?

Stephen Poole

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Professor31
https://www.tum.de/nc/en/about-tum/news/press-releases/details/35556/

Uses GPS combined with visual recognition. Wonder how well it would handle a gusty crosswind?

From a NewAtlas.com article discussing the Munich press release ...

auto-landing-system-small-airports-2.jpg

I’d like the feature as an emergency feature, but I fear the morons that will over rely on it more than I fear not having it.

So if you screw up the landing, can you legally be absolved of liability since you didn’t screw it all up? After all, it was Autoland 20000 not you flying, right?

Makes sense, take the funest part of aviation, and automize it.

Might as well just sit home and play on your computer.

Wonder how well it'd handle a taildragger.

I was already bored landing a trike after becoming a TW guy, Let alone this... no way no how!

That’s a kin to have a computer practice baby making for ya so you don’t have to!

For a VFR pilot, auto land is pointless. Auto land is for landing in low visibility, less than Cat I minimums. I don’t see people using this under normal VFR conditions.

For a VFR pilot, auto land is pointless. Auto land is for landing in low visibility, less than Cat I minimums. I don’t see people using this under normal VFR conditions.

It is true that even airline pilots aren't supposed to autoland in CAT I or better, but some do entirely too frequently.

It is true that even airline pilots aren't supposed to autoland in CAT I or better, but some do entirely too frequently.
Why aren’t they supposed to? And I wonder why someone would do it more frequently than necessary for currency.

Meh....they've had autoland for years...

CAPS-handle.jpg

Cessna developed the land-o-matic over 60 years ago. :)

51MR1lMGazL.jpg

I think they came as close as ya can get without that new computer dealie...

I think I upset some guys on the 172 fb page when one posted this and comments were made about how bad/irresponsible advertising it was- but what I tried explaining to them, (got taken down first time-lol) Cessna was advertising to pilots flying the 120/140,170, luscombs, Stintsons, tcrafts, etc for the most part. Compared to conventional gear a docile Skyhawk does feel pretty close to landomatic...

I think they came as close as ya can get without that new computer dealie...

I think I upset some guys on the 172 fb page when one posted this and comments were made about how bad/irresponsible advertising it was- but what I tried explaining to them, (got taken down first time-lol) Cessna was advertising to pilots flying the 120/140,170, luscombs, Stintsons, tcrafts, etc for the most part. Compared to conventional gear a docile Skyhawk does feel pretty close to landomatic...

Some people just wear really thin skin, and then there's other people who are just complete ... well, like me :D

Some people just wear really thin skin, and then there's other people who are just complete ... well, like me :D

Yup, I chuckled... after being a POA guy those little fb scraps don’t scare me!

I just didn’t realize C172 drivers were as fragile our Cirrus friends ;)

I actually had a student that would come in to land and just before touch down she'd shut her eyes and just hold it. Oddly enough, it worked pretty well for her, but unfortunately unacceptable.

Holy cow.!!

How did you ever break that habit.??

After out-running some thunderstorms, really having to pee, nearly at my reserve fuel after fighting headwinds, the sun pops out right at the end of the runway in my eyes—I'd push "Autoland". That being said, my car has "Autopark", and I've never pushed that button.

Back