Auto traffic

saracelica

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
saracelica
So at a left turn lane, little green arrow luminates. First vehicle just sits there. How long do you guys give people to take foot of brakes and on to gas? Do you honk or do you just sit in your car and think "Hey idiot that means go!"

I never hesitate to honk the horn in my car!

Thoughts?

So at a left turn lane, little green arrow luminates. First vehicle just sits there. How long do you guys give people to take foot of brakes and on to gas? Do you honk or do you just sit in your car and think "Hey idiot that means go!"

I never hesitate to honk the horn in my car!

Thoughts?

I will give them a couple of seconds , then a lite tap on the horn. If they still don't move then I align the bumpers and push them through the intersection..:hairraise:;)

Last edited:
Depends. Sometimes I can see they are done fiddling and I'll do nothing, sometimes it is obvious they are oblivious to being in the driver's seat of a car with eight more behind them and they get a tap on the horn. I'll rarely blare full-on horn, especially at a light that *just* changed, from the standpoint of dignity. I have been honked at full-on by folks who don't see the people/person crossing right in front of me (which compels my reverse lights to turn on:wink2:) and I see that as an arrogant thing to do.

Depends. Sometimes I can see they are done fiddling and I'll do nothing, sometimes it is obvious they are oblivious to being in the driver's seat of a car with eight more behind them and they get a tap on the horn. I'll rarely blare full-on horn, especially at a light that *just* changed, from the standpoint of dignity. I have been honked at full-on by folks who don't see the people/person crossing right in front of me (which compels my reverse lights to turn on:wink2:) and I see that as an arrogant thing to do.

Or cant see the other vehicles that have not cleared the intersection or that keep running their red light .

I live four hours from NY City, but having driven in the city a number of times, I know that there, you get about 0.4 seconds after the light changes, and if you're not moving, you get full-on horn blasts from every vehicle in line behind you.

Here in the boonies, I try to be a little more tolerant. I give them at least a full second before I hit the horn.

I'll give a friendly tap of the horn or high beams after a couple seconds. No need to have the horn blaring for anything other than an emergency situation.

I will give them a couple of seconds , then a lite tap on the horn. If they still don't move then I align the bumpers and push then through the intersection..:hairraise:;)

I do what N80 does, but I rarely push them through the intersection.

In the US, the horn generally means "Hey you a**wipe you really f***ed up and imma pummel your head and impregnate your dog!" Whereas in most other countries the horn means "Hey buddy I'm right here be careful."

Or cant see the other vehicles that have not cleared the intersection or that keep running their red light .

A few yeas ago in the motorhome I had a guy get PO'd at me for not going immediately when the light changed. And I continued to sit there obviously for no other reason than to really PO him off to no end. So he drove around me really fast with his finger up and yelling something nasty. I didn't know two cars were made out of that many pieces...

The cop was hilarious during the cleanup. He said some seriously funny stuff about how it's not smart to go around a vehicle that is acting like a big road block. He even had a broom in the trunk of his car for such situations.

A public safety announcement from the large road vehicle community: If the light is green and we're not moving, you might want count to ten then calmly ask yourself why we are still sitting there before you do something about it on your own. If you don't, you are likely to get what you deserve.

I look left and right before I go. So I give them enough time to do the same.

What about the car that doesn't pull far enough forward to trip the pavement sensor? Horn doesn 't seem to help most of the time.

I very rarely tap my horn at people because my horn rarely works... :rofl: If I am driving around in Little Rock then I give people less leeway on stupidity. Now if I'm at college then I give up because its a small town. I have found that the stress of driving is lower when you resign to the fact that it will take you 20 mins to go 3 miles. :confused:

The people I get mad at are the ones who drive WAY under the speed limit. Mostly in southern AR because in LR the speed limit is +10. Also ones who wait for no car in sight for a mile to turn onto a road. That one is really bad in my college town. I sware these people can't turn onto a road that has cars on it. :mad2:

A final note. Please give way to logging trucks if there trying to turn at the intersection in the middle of town. It takes less time to stop short and let them turn then it is for them to back up traffic for mile waiting for idiots to stop. :nono: My college town has a two-lane state highway that runs through the middle of "downtown". The logging trucks have to stop and wait until no one is around the intersection because they take up both lanes to turn. People will cut them off and not give way just to save a few seconds. :mad2: :nonod: I guess I am weird for letting these guys go first and not wanting a log in my window.

I wait a few seconds and then a quick tap on the horn. If that doesn't do it, I'll look around for something I might have missed, and then they get a second tap. After that I assume they are dead and push them through the kill zone.

3-4 seconds, then a short horn tap. That almost always works, and usually warrants a friendly (full hand, not one finger) wave from the person in front.

What really galls me is the one car in the turn line that putters through the turn arrow about 5 mph slower than the cars in front of him, stranding 1-2 cars behind who then must wait until the next light to go.

What it amuses me more than angers me is when I watch the left turn drivers - light goes green, first car carefully around the turn, second car waits until the first car has cleared the intersection before moving.. Third car does the same and by then the light has gone red and there the rest of us sit... 9 or 10 cars would have cleared the intersection had they all moved ahead as a group when the turn light went green...
This seems to be a small city phenomenon up here in rapidly emptying Michigan... When I drive the big cities, Detroit, Cleveland, to Tampa, when the turn light goes green there is a stampede and you had better move with them...
As far as blowing the horn - in NYC the time from when the light goes green to the homicidal horn is the shortest interval known to science...

Anyway, a friend in FLorida says when he gets old he is going to move up North, get a big Buick, put his seat way down until he is looking under the steering wheel, and drive slooow during rush hour...

What it amuses me more than angers me is when I watch the left turn drivers - light goes green, first car carefully around the turn, second car waits until the first car has cleared the intersection before moving..

In some places I've been, if you don't do exactly that, you will likely be taken out by the light runners or people who decide the light is just a voluntary stop sign.
I just wish people would start doing that when they have the red left turn arrow and I have the green light to go straight through. I'm seriously burned out with the whole avoiding left turn drivers who want to ram the engine on my motorcycle nonsense.

Anyway, a friend in FLorida says when he gets old he is going to move up North, get a big Buick, put his seat way down until he is looking under the steering wheel, and drive slooow during rush hour...

:lol:
Did you tell your friend that he will be constantly rear ending the cars in front of him because he will be driving in a long narrow parking lot that is called a highway for some bizarre reason?

This seems to be a small city phenomenon up here in rapidly emptying Michigan... When I drive the big cities, Detroit, Cleveland, to Tampa, when the turn light goes green there is a stampede and you had better move with them...
Dunno, here in the Detroit suburbs there are a lot of people that just sit there, apparently waiting for the oncoming traffic to clear even when it's a green ARROW. They do get a tap on the horn from me, and if that doesn't do the trick, I won't hesitate to honk. At a lot of intersections the left turn lane is never flashing yellow, and it doesn't stay green for longer than 10 seconds at the most.

I usually use the high beams for that, since the Yukon is high enough it'll light up the whole interior of the car ahead. Day or night it'll get most people's attention. :)

Yes, my low beams are aimed correctly with cutoffs that mean you're not blinded by me at intersections... I hate pickup truck and SUV drivers who don't know how to aim headlights.

Mine require a special tool. $4 at Harbor Freight... But my highs have no such protection. You'll see 'em.

I've also been meaning to do the "6-high" diode trick to mine where my lows stay on when the highs come on and my fogs also come on.

But if I were a horn fan, these are tempting...

A bit of a pain to install though. Have to add a compressor and weld an air tank under the truck frame. ;)

If they're on the phone, I LAY on the horn and follow them around town until they park or hang up.

A lot depends upon the intersection- there are some around here which have *very* short green times, and if the drivers up front are not expeditious (not fast, just aware, mind you), it really it's back on the number of vehicles which can go through the intersection. By selfish when it's crowded.

When I am at the front, I will always do a last-chance check for oncoming traffic, even after it is green; I have in my driving years donated two cars at intersections where I had the right of way by green light, but the other guy was too clueless to comply. Make that three cars, come to think of it- a 1961 Impala (man I miss that car), a '69 Renault 10 (yes, really), and an Audi 100S. The first two, I could have saved had I not simply assumed "green means go," a lesson I had to learn for myself (I was 16 and 17).

The last was about ten years ago, and the only thing that could have saved me was dry pavement. Oh well.

I was one car back from the front of the left side straight-through lane yesterday, and watched some distracted guy in front of me take off when the left-turn lanes started rolling.

Thought we were gonna see a great head on there for a sec.

Karen the nurse was saying, "My gloves are in my car..." which was probably an indication that she wasn't looking forward to playing around with other people's blood last evening.

The fact that it was a very big intersection meant both that the guy had room to stop and also that he had lots of room to accelerate if he'd not have noticed. It would'a been at least 35 MPH combined between him and whoever he took out of the two oncoming double left turn lanes.

There's the guy who waits until the left turn only light turns yellow, wakes up, and dashes through stranding those behind him.
There's really no reason to beep your horn. Unless the guy has died, he will eventually move. It's not like the extra 3 minutes at that light will cause the sun to go out or that open heart surgery you were heading off to won't wait a few minutes. If you are running that late, plan better.
PS: My NEW HORN. This WILL wake them up.

If they're on the phone, I LAY on the horn and follow them around town until they park or hang up.

In my neighborhood, they use the other free hand to go for their gun when you do that.

In my neighborhood, they use the other free hand to go for their gun when you do that.

I like Kimber these days, but I keep a Ruger Blackhawk .44 mag revolver in the truck. I'm pretty good with it for 25 yards or less. Single action too, just to give the idiots trying to dig a .9mm Glock out of their pants and then shoot it sideways a chance. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

There's the guy who waits until the left turn only light turns yellow, wakes up, and dashes through stranding those behind him.
There's really no reason to beep your horn. Unless the guy has died, he will eventually move. It's not like the extra 3 minutes at that light will cause the sun to go out or that open heart surgery you were heading off to won't wait a few minutes. If you are running that late, plan better.
PS: My NEW HORN. This WILL wake them up.

Gotta say, that whole "extra 3 minutes" thing is a non-starter for me. We have so much freeway construction here, we here in Dallas are compelled to use surface streets over long distances crosstown, and a few of those leggy-Lou's can cost you a really substantial amount of time. I know it takes however long it takes, but there's no call for selfishly wasting everyone's time, either.

Here in Jersey most people wait about 3 nanoseconds before laying on the horn...

What about the car that doesn't pull far enough forward to trip the pavement sensor? Horn doesn 't seem to help most of the time.
I had to get out of the car and walk up to the one in front of me once. The driver was sitting about 30 ft back of the linen and 10 ft behind the one and only sensor for the left turn onto the road I live on. The guy sat there through two complete cycles of the light and AFaIK wasn't going to move until the light turned green even if it took all night.

I had to get out of the car and walk up to the one in front of me once. The driver was sitting about 30 ft back of the linen and 10 ft behind the one and only sensor for the left turn onto the road I live on. The guy sat there through two complete cycles of the light and AFaIK wasn't going to move until the light turned green even if it took all night.

One in front of me finally understood what my arm out the window waving forward meant. We have a couple of intersections where lanes go from 2-3 and if your not paying attention (cell phone or whatever) it feels like you should stop way back from the stop line. Had to go around in the straight lane more than once.

Back