Auto reply merge

What to do with the auto reply merge feature?

• Deep six it! I Hate it.

Votes: 12 63.2%
  • Who gives a (insert expletive here)

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • I love it! Keep it!

Votes: 2 10.5%

• Total voters
I see the potential benefits, but this crowd is not the "cram in a bunch of five-word post" sort. Hence, the automerge destroys linearity in a discussion.

"Ditch it," is what I say.

Last edited:
AdamZ said:
Ummm forgive the ingnorance but what the heck is it?
If you make multiple replies within the same thread they get merged automatically into a single post. I find it more confusing than valuable...

RotaryWingBob said:
I have a mild dislike of this feature. How about you?

I like the principle, but it needs to be refined. There are some annoying quirks to it. (See the thread in Site Feedback & Support.)

I used to auto-merge stuff myself now and then when I was doing a bunch of replies in the same thread. (Hit "quote" with the command key down to open up new tabs with each message I want to quote, and copy the quoted stuff into the first tab. :D)

Part of the reason I like the principle is that often I'm only on an Internet connection long enough to command-click the links to each thread so I can read them later, offline. Then I get to a thread that has two or more pages, and I miss out on that part. :(

Of course, being able to read and post via e-mail would solve that problem! :yes:

Back