Auto pilots and bumps

AuntPeggy

Final Approach
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Namaste
Today I picked up the C-172 from Sky Acres where its annual was completed. I played with it a little bit, then settled in to fly home. I turned on the autopilot, but the wind was choppy and we started bumping along so I turned off the autopilot and flew by hand.

We had the autopilot motor burn out a couple of years ago and I have been convinced that it was turbulence that caused it to fail. So, now I'm asking you all. Do you turn off the autopilot in mild turbulence?

I tend to leave the autopilot on. The manual claims smoother flight with the autopilot and I tend to agree with the manual so far. Sure, it'll be more wear-n-tear but so far I just accept it. Heck, I had all that work done on the autopilot to use it, not just look at the switches and dials and say that it's a neat thing that I can't afford to use.

I tend to leave the autopilot on. The manual claims smoother flight with the autopilot and I tend to agree with the manual so far. Sure, it'll be more wear-n-tear but so far I just accept it. Heck, I had all that work done on the autopilot to use it, not just look at the switches and dials and say that it's a neat thing that I can't afford to use.
I agree. I leave my single axis on in mild to moderate turbulence.

I leave it on in turbulence but then I'm a renter. If I owned the airplane I think I'd still use the AP in turbulence. I would think the drive servos are designed to handle loads imposed by at least a moderate level of turbulence.

Depends on the autopilot and what it is certified to do. Consult the autopilot manual and check it's limitations and recommended use.

I leave it on in turbulence but then I'm a renter. If I owned the airplane I think I'd still use the AP in turbulence. I would think the drive servos are designed to handle loads imposed by at least a moderate level of turbulence.

It depends upon the autopilot. My 337 has a Cessna 400A autopilot and the servos have shear pins that will shear if overloaded. Some other makes of autopilots use clutches on the servos.

With an attitude based autopilot, I generally leave it on in the mild bumps. Rate based autopilots generally don't react as well, particularly in pitch, so they go off.

In the G1000/GFC700, it's "what turbulence?" Well, not really, but close. That system is practically as good in turbulence as my hand flying.

Always on. I'm also used to having a yaw damper, so that of course stays on, too.

In some airplanes that are rather slow and slippery, like the DA-40, I'd turn the AP off in turbulence. Otherwise, it's very easy to overspeed....

-Felix

It depends upon the autopilot. My 337 has a Cessna 400A autopilot and the servos have shear pins that will shear if overloaded. Some other makes of autopilots use clutches on the servos.

And have the shear pins in your 400A ever failed as a result of turbulence?

With an attitude based autopilot, I generally leave it on in the mild bumps. Rate based autopilots generally don't react as well, particularly in pitch, so they go off.

I agree with your comment on rate based autopilots with a caveat, I will turn off the altitude hold but leave on the roll axis.

When I flew a plane with autopilot (AP) for IFR training in turbulance I would turn the AP on for a few minutes then turn it off to practice responding to the instruments. The AP would do a better job of trimming the airplane in bumpy conditions than I could for level flight.

AFaIK, the autopilots with shear pins in the servos are designed to limit control forces electrically to something less than that necessary to shear a pin and only an electrical failure should result in a broken pin. This may not always be true though, I'd refer to the POH supplement for the particular autopilot for guidance. Aside from that, in some conditions I find I can deliver a smoother ride if I take over from the autopilot but I wouldn't be concerned about hurting the servos beyond the slightly higher wear rate in turbulent conditions.

Back