Auto Oil For Aircraft Engines

Just changed my motorcycle oil yesterday. Spent an extra $20 and got motorcycle specific Valvaline full synthetic. I've trusted Valvaline for ever.

Buy aircraft oil from an oil distributor as opposed to the fbo. Loads cheaper...

For motorcycles, many people (including me) use Rotella... a diesel oil. Works very well. And much cheaper than motorcycle specific branded oil.
Rotella is also the oil of choice in certain marine gasoline engines (like the old chris craft inlines).

Buy aircraft oil from an oil distributor as opposed to the fbo. Loads cheaper...
If you can get to it and pick it up, it's a great deal. Saves shipping. Unfortunately, the local distributor is no longer convenient for me. It used to be between my house and the airport I was based at.

...Yes, lead is a big difference between aircraft engines and auto engines. Rotax uses motorcycle engine oil and burns 100ll. Hmmm, what does that mean?
It means you change your oil every 50 hours if you run 100LL more than 30% of the time instead of every 100 hours if you only run unleaded gas.

I allways ran Pennzoil grade 100 in my motorcycle. Never a problem.

Rotella is also the oil of choice in certain marine gasoline engines (like the old chris craft inlines).

That's what I use in my Mercruiser 260 (Chevy 350) as well.

Now I'm thinking I need a bigger boat.

Dispersant allows the wear products to be suspended until they can be filtered out

As wear products collect in the filter media, would one expect to see a measurable rise in oil pressure over the course of an oil change interval?

I observed oil pressure at the top of the green immediately before an oil change, and in the middle of the green immediately after, but I'm reluctant to draw conclusions from one data point.

I think, if I was curious about this, I might obtain a copy of the specifications for each type oil and compare them to see what if any differences exist. It might be possible to draw some reasonable conclusion based on the most the most significant differences between each type.

Buddy decided to try Rotella T6 in his motorcycle last oil change, he says the engine has less internal noise. He's happy.

I used Rotella T6 in my Gold Wing for years, no problems. It was fine for 5,000 mile intervals; shifting always stayed smooth, no signs of anything wrong.

I wish it came in 20W50 so I could use it in the Harley.

Back