Auto Fuel STC update

Tom-D

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
Tom-D
I wanted new stickers for my 170 which already had the auto gas STC applied. When I requested new stickers this is the response I received.
Tom,

Thank you for your STC inquiry!

Before I process your request I wanted to make you aware of the cost for
the placards. In 2004 the FAA changed the spec. that is listed on the
placard, and correspondingly parts of the autogas STC paperwork changed
as well.

In order for me to send you new placards you will have to purchase the
full STC update which is $40. That will get you the 2 new placards you
requested and an entirely new and up to date STC packet. Please fill
out the online application (using the link below).

Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns and if it is ok
to go ahead and process your request. You can simply reply to this
email or reach me in Aircraft Operations at 920-426-6599.

https://secure.eaa.org/STC/stcapp_secure.html

Thank you again,

Olivia Rasmus, EAA #1130925
Air Tours Program Coordinator
EAA-The Spirit of Aviation

Phone: 920.426.6599
Fax: 920.426.4881

Gotta love aviation,change a few words ,get the customer again.

Find a sticker printer near you. Should be about $10 for new stickers. Clean, peel, apply.

It's hardly the EAA's fault that the FAA has changed the rules. He's lucky that they are letting him update the thing for $40. That's probably pretty close (or below) the EAA's cost on this. They could do what others do and demand he buy the whole STC over again.

Tom, you're lucky it's not a Petersen STC...the charge is 1/2 the original cost to replace anything. Much more than $40 unless you have a very small engine.

At least that's how it was when I had to replace the clamp on my 182 back in 2004. New STC = $1/hp. Replacement paperwork of any kind = $0.50/hp. It cost me $115 to get a new clamp for my engine oil filler neck (the old one was lost during overhaul).

40.00 seems like a very reasonable price. At that price point it really does not make sense to have two sets of packets/docs.

40.00 seems like a very reasonable price. At that price point it really does not make sense to have two sets of packets/docs.

Not only doesn't it make sense, they're unlikely to legally be able to produce the old ones. Believe me, I've been on the manufacturer side of some of this stuff (the Navion Society has a few STCs, one set of PMA fuel valves, and a bunch of other stuff produced under the umbrella of "owner-produced" parts, ... the FAA bureaucracy borders on whimsey it it's consistency but has uniformly gotten tighter as time goes on).

So did you send in your money and get your stickers? The suspense is killing me?

If you have the STC paperwork, why not just have a sticker shop make up a new one?

I wonder if the new stc invalidates the old one? Now that he knows about the new one can he be held liable for not updating it?

The FAA needs to work at making safety cost effective for us.

I think he should write up a NASA form about the total loss of aircraft control because the mogas stickers were faded. :yikes:;)

In all fairness to EAA, I am guessing the $40 is about "cost" for somebody to reply to his emails, process the payment, enter the order, and mail the stickers out. There is a minimum cost just to handle transactions in any business, this might be one of those transactions.

This can't possibly be why people think its too expensive to fly their own airplane, can it?

:mad2::mad2::mad2:

What rule says the placard has to be supplied by them? I can go to the craft store and buy sheets of stick on letters in various sizes and colors for a couple of bucks. I can go to the engraver kiosk in the mall and they'll make me a placard already lettered for a few dollars extra.

Already said get them locally. "Owner produced part". I am far from the expert but 'like materials, form, function, blah blah blah?'

:dunno: I "assume" Tom is a FAA certified A&P /IA.... Seems to me he needs any and all updated STC paperwork to make his aircraft legal and airworthy..:idea:.....

Yes! $40 for new sticker is ridiculous. :yes:

Geez Larry..... It comes with... " entirely new and up to date STC packet "..............

and "is required" for the STC to be current......

One of the BIG problems with certified aircraft...:redface:

Geez Larry..... It comes with... " entirely new and up to date STC packet "..............

and "is required" for the STC to be current......

One of the BIG problems with certified aircraft...:redface:

I agree completely.

Know what it cost me to switch my planes to mogas? :rolleyes: :rofl:

It was less that it cost me to post this response. :lol:

Yes! $40 for new sticker is ridiculous. :yes:

It's not for a sticker. It's for the updated version of the STC. The EAA doesn't have the stickers for the old STC. $40 for a new set of STC paperwork + the stickers is probably one of the better deals out there. I suspect Petersen would tell you that you need to start over.

It's not for a sticker. It's for the updated version of the STC. The EAA doesn't have the stickers for the old STC. $40 for a new set of STC paperwork + the stickers is probably one of the better deals out there. I suspect Petersen would tell you that you need to start over.

:mad2:

:dunno: I "assume" Tom is a FAA certified A&P /IA.... Seems to me he needs any and all updated STC paperwork to make his aircraft legal and airworthy..:idea:.....

Really?? why?
Is the old STC any good after the up grade by EAA?

If it is no good, why would I want to put new stickers on my 170 just to burn 100LL?

You must have assumed I want to burn auto. wrong again.

I was going to make the installation of the STC legal by getting new stickers, but seeing it is no good any more, why would I want to do that ?

I put this thread up so you folks that are burning auto on the old STC would know you need to get the new paper work.

I put this thread up so you folks that are burning auto on the old STC would know you need to get the new paper work.

Has the FAA rescinded the old STC?

If not, then why would someone need to "get new paperwork"? Is there an AD stating the new paperwork is now required?

I can't remember the last time, let's see...anything for my plane cost me $40 or less.

I wouldn't even blink. At least it wasn't $100 for spark plugs, or $400 for a yoke-mount thumb switch, or $15,000 for an IFR-rated GPS, or....

If not, then why would someone need to "get new paperwork"? Is there an AD stating the new paperwork is now required?

nope and nope again. but it was the FAA that required the change. so what to do now? simply leave the tickers off, don't carry the STC in the aircraft and not use auto.

pretty simple fix, the feds can't hammer you for using auto without a up to date STC because you aren't.

No, but I'll bet the EAA has some thing in writing from the FAA saying to do this.

No, but I'll bet the EAA has some thing in writing from the FAA saying to do this.

They can't issue the old STC anymore, but it is still valid. EAA just doesn't have any of the old stickers, can't provide them, or would rather sell you the new STC. I don't see where you can't reproduce the the notice as defined in the currently held STC though.

Back