Austin to Oshkosh

Lowflynjack

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Jack Fleetwood
So I know quite a few of you go from the Austin, TX area to Oshkosh. Are there airports you really love along the way? Places to eat, just a nice FBO, etc? Places you avoid?

Depending on weather, my goal is to leave around 4AM Friday and stop every 2.8 or so hours (roughly 275-320 miles), maybe grab lunch somewhere along the way, and end up in Watertown, WI in the afternoon to spend the night before flying to OSH Saturday morning.

As of now:
43447421331_4d19c87c75_z.jpg

If things go according to plan, I'm flying into Austin Exec (EDC) and meeting a friend for a day or two, then off to OSH, with a fuel stop at Berryville, AR (4M1) and then Baraboo Dells, WI (DLL).

Baraboo is a fantastic little airport, great for topping off for a 1/2-hr flight to Osh. Last time they had copies of the Osh NOTAM, and printouts of the HBC, etc. signs. I need to call to make sure the runway is open...NOTAM says it will reopen this Thursday, and I plan on being there Saturday. I haven't been to the other airports, but they seem to have good reviews on Airnav.

PIREPs on Austin Exec?

Edit: Just called DLL and the runway will be open on Friday. Brand new asphalt, and widened to 100 ft! Check NOTAM just to be sure.

Last edited:
If things go according to plan, I'm flying into Austin Exec (EDC) and meeting a friend for a day or two, then off to OSH, with a fuel stop at Berryville, AR (4M1) and then Baraboo Dells, WI (DLL).

Baraboo is a fantastic little airport, great for topping off for a 1/2-hr flight to Osh. Last time they had copies of the Osh NOTAM, and printouts of the HBC, etc. signs. I need to call to make sure the runway is open...NOTAM says it will reopen this Thursday, and I plan on being there Saturday. I haven't been to the other airports, but they seem to have good reviews on Airnav.

PIREPs on Austin Exec?

Edit: Just called DLL and the runway will be open on Friday. Brand new asphalt, and widened to 100 ft! Check NOTAM just to be sure.

Austin Exec is a very nice airport. They really cater to jets, King Airs, etc, but they welcome us as well. Just check the Notams before going in there. It is a towered airport even though it's not on the sectional as of yet. It's a relaxed tower though, pretty easy going.

Mobley, MO had a food truck thing last year that wasn’t bad. I stopped on the way back, so I’m not sure exactly what their schedule was leading up to Oshkosh.

On our return to TX in 2016 the FBO at ALO, Waterloo, IA, asked if we were in our way home from OSH and when we said yes, gave us a fuel discount. Don't remember how much.

On our return to TX in 2016 the FBO at ALO, Waterloo, IA, asked if we were in our way home from OSH and when we said yes, gave us a fuel discount. Don't remember how much.
I stopped there for weather last year on the way to OSH. Great people. They let me sleep in the crew room after a particularly long night dodging storms. Then let me use the shower and gave me a crew car to get to the hotel they booked for me that night when the weather didn’t let up all day. When I got home to Texas, I had a hand written thank you card from them for buying gas.

Back