Augmented Reality for GA

I remember putting a deposit on those to be a beta tester at least 18 months ago - finally got my deposit back. Seems cool but think I'll hold off for now :)

I've always wondered if those of us who are old enough to need reading glasses could use these devices...started wondering when Google Glass was announced. I assume we're screwed.

But, with that said...

...I really don't see the allure of this product.

I've got the Epson headset sitting on my credenza. I've had it for several months now but I haven't yet hooked it up.

The software to do what's in the video, not so much...

If the engine quits on takeoff, will the tunnel thingy point downwards?

Very cool! The future will be easier for pilots. I remember in training, having a single VOR/ILS, no GPS. When learning about airspace, they'd say "there are no signs in the sky". Well, now there are!

If the engine quits on takeoff, will the tunnel thingy point downwards?
That would be a great 2.0 feature or whatever. It calculates best glide, and picks the "best field" for you, or lights up the best options for fields.

Of course it would be even better if it said "best field to the right behind you, 100 degrees, airport, KXXX".

At least a best glide tunnel, maybe with a splay that shows how far you can turn at some predetermined bank angle before you get to the ground.

That video is several years old. I think it's a cool concept, but currently pure vapor.

Eventually Moore's Law will overcome!

Since I'm doing work with virtual and augmented reality I'll say "It ain't Moore's law that's the problem." It's the tracking and orientation sensors. We have the horsepower now. Even in small, power efficient packages. But we can't tell where you're looking precisely enough. In fact a HUD is much easier to build the AR.

John

Back