Audiobooks

steve_ford_author

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Steve Ford
The question has come up regarding “Audiobooks” ...... do I or don’t I ?

I keep being asked if I plan on creating Audiobooks for “20 West” and “Flight Envelopes” ...... which makes sense as they are both available in Paperback, Hardback and Ebook formats.

The $64 question is do you use Audiobooks? What Aviation Audiobooks do you have and is it something you are gravitating too?

There appears to be a variety of platforms out there dominated by Amazon Audible but slowly being challenged by Spotify. What do you use?

I confess to knowing very little about the Audiobook world, so lots of questions!

Three Hour Recording Studio Session in Essex | Red Letter Days
SSMNG_2.jpg

I have an audible subscription and Margy and I listen to books on longer drive or flights. She also tends to listen to them puttering around the house or yard.

I don't drive anywhere anymore without listening to audiobooks. Also wifey and I listen to them on most flights. I'm literally never without one.

My hands don't work so great anymore and holding a book or tablet isn't happening because it becomes painful. Also, I can borrow audiobooks free from a host of libraries so there is an endless supply.

I will say that my ability to listen to an audiobook is directly related to the performer. I will frequently borrow a book just because it is read by George Guidall, or a few others.

And for some reason, I just can't stand listening to a woman read a novel. I think this may be because many seem to try and inject some emotion into the read instead of letting the listener interpret the story for themselves.

If your considering doing this, make sure you pick a performer that people like to listen to.

An important point, especially if this is costly for you to do, is that there are few aviation books available in audiobook format (at least thru libraries). Perhaps others are available for purchase and some people are buying them. For me, I can rarely find an aviation book on Audiobook format so I don't even look for them anymore.

Maybe as time goes on more aviation related books will be added.

Last edited:
I don't drive anywhere anymore without listening to audiobooks. Also wifey and I listen to them on most flights. I'm literally never without one.

My hands don't work so great anymore and holding a book or tablet isn't happening because it becomes painful. Also, I can borrow audiobooks free from a host of libraries so there is an endless supply.

I will say that my ability to listen to an audiobook is directly related to the performer. I will frequently borrow a book just because it is read by George Guidall, or a few others.

And for some reason, I just can't stand listening to a woman read a novel. I think this may be because many seem to try and inject some emotion into the read instead of letting the listener interpret the story for themselves.

If your considering doing this, make sure you pick a performer that people like to listen to.

An important point, especially if this is costly for you to do, is that there are few aviation books available in audiobook format (at least thru libraries). Perhaps others are available for purchase and some people are buying them. For me, I can rarely find an aviation book on Audiobook format so I don't even look for them anymore.

Maybe as time goes on more aviation related books will be added.
Thanks for what is a very informative post and I appreciate your time in responding.

It is complex as is the publishing industry and I will certainly be doing a lot of research before I jump in. I do agree with you however that it is going to grow more as a format and I definitely need to make sure it is on my radar for this year.

I started listening to audiobooks recently. Mostly in the car during my commute. I like it to switch out listening to podcasts and listening to a whole book.

Back