Display name:
islandboy
Looking for suggestions on the following for a C182:

1. Audio panel
2. Comm 2 radio

Looking for suggestions on the following for a C182:

1. Audio panel
2. Comm 2 radio
What's in there now? Why are you looking? What's your budget? What features are you looking for?

But for now, I'll just throw this out there (2 birds, 1 stone):

What's in there now? Why are you looking? What's your budget? What features are you looking for?

But for now, I'll just throw this out there (2 birds, 1 stone):
GTN 750 serves as Comm 1.

Panel and current Comm 2 in pictures.

Attachments

• comm 2.jpg
    comm 2.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 31
  • panel.jpg
    panel.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 31
Why are you looking? What's your budget? What features do you want?

High end features would be PS Engineering PMA450B and Trig TY96A but would require re-wiring.

Slide-in upgrade would be PMA7000M-BT (Bluetooth) and Icom A220.

Why are you looking? What's your budget? What features do you want?

High end features would be PS Engineering PMA450B and Trig TY96A but would require re-wiring.

Slide-in upgrade would be PMA7000M-BT (Bluetooth) and Icom A220.
Major reason for looking is that the display on the radio is failing. I'm considering replacing panel as a more modern companion to the new radio.

I obviously only need a 4-place system. I'm not actually concerned about the bluetooth feature, as I'm allergic to music in the cockpit, and it's exquisitely rare that I'd have other than a co-pilot in the aircraft with me. Also, if I desperately need to make a phone call, I can already bluetooth to the headset (but it's also unusual for me to be able to pick up a cell signal enroute).

I was debating the PMA600B.

A radio with greater output power would be potentially advantageous.

Com radios are one trick animals, and they all do that trick well. I'd say get a slide in replacement and call it a day. If you are looking for a Nav/Com or a GPS/Com there are many other factors.

We all know the 3 most expensive words in airplane ownership are "might as well", or it's partner "while we're there". Nowhere is that more true than an audio panel. You have to touch just about every wire behind the panel, and I've never been able to avoid cleaning up "while we're there". I've never regretted it, but the install price can get spendy.

The PMA600B is decent, but old. Given the ratio of part to install, I'd go with the 7000 or a Garmin. You may not need BT or stereo, but the next guy might. It came out in 2009, it won't be supported forever.

I am installing a PMA-6000B in our Cherokee that is primarily used to teach high school students to fly and get their PPL. They don't need bluetooth.
No need for anything crazy. Along with that I am installing a GTN650 since there is no GPS in the plane.

Attachments

• IMG_8405.jpeg
    IMG_8405.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 12
I've got a similar setup in my (new to me) Duke - crappy old audio panel and a barely working Ky196 comm. I'm on my avionics shop's schedule and going to do a remote-mount Garmin audio panel, controlled by the 750, and a GTR225 comm for Comm 2 (my nav 2 is a working King KN53 I think). I'm a big fan of the PS Engineering panels, but with the 750 already in place, the Garmin remote comm makes sense. I have one in my Twin Comanche and I've learned to like it. Wire up flip/flop buttons for Comm 1/Comm 2 on the audio panel and for active/standby on the 750 if not already done.

$200 difference between the PMA7000M-BT and the PMA6000B? That's like half a tank of gas in a 182 :)

If it helps, the PS-Engineering guys are usually really easy to reach and friendly/helpful to talk to. You might want to give them a call and talk out your thoughts.

$200 difference between the PMA7000M-BT and the PMA6000B? That's like half a tank of gas in a 182 :)

If it helps, the PS-Engineering guys are usually really easy to reach and friendly/helpful to talk to. You might want to give them a call and talk out your thoughts.

Mark S. at PS Engineering is great. Call or email him and he'll talk you through everything you want to know. And I agree, don't skimp on the audio panel to save a couple hundred. Get the best one they sell, the price differential, in the grand scheme of things, is peanuts. I put a PMA6000BT in my prior airplane, and it was fine, but I did regret skipping the PMA450B to save a little money.

Major reason for looking is that the display on the radio is failing. I'm considering replacing panel as a more modern companion to the new radio.

I obviously only need a 4-place system. I'm not actually concerned about the bluetooth feature, as I'm allergic to music in the cockpit, and it's exquisitely rare that I'd have other than a co-pilot in the aircraft with me. Also, if I desperately need to make a phone call, I can already bluetooth to the headset (but it's also unusual for me to be able to pick up a cell signal enroute).

A radio with greater output power would be potentially advantageous.
PMA

Thanks everyone for the kind words. I love talking audio panels and airplanes. My goal is to match one of our audio panels that matches your mission and budget. Please feel free to call us anytime.
800-427-2376
Mark Scheuer
PS Engineering

Back