Audio issues

Supereri

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Supereri
I have a Cessna 182f with a PS engineering PMA6000b audio panel. I use Bose A20 and my passenger uses Lightspeed Sierra headsets. When my headset and mic are plugged into the pilot side my mic sounds great. When I'm plugged into the pilot side and my passenger plugs into the right seat my mic sounds poor. when the passenger unplugs the mic jack it returns to normal.

Any thoughts on what might be happening?

Sounds like a wiring harness problem. If you unplug from the pilot side and plug only into the copilot side, how does it sound? I'm wondering if there may be a single wire tying the pilot and copilot mic jacks together. They should be independent.

I'll try that, but I've never heard any other jack sound poor. I also want to see if the rear jacks are the same.

Sounds like a wiring harness problem. If you unplug from the pilot side and plug only into the copilot side, how does it sound? I'm wondering if there may be a single wire tying the pilot and copilot mic jacks together. They should be independent.

Good point! If somehow the connection is causing the two mics to wire into series then the signal would drop ...

The interesting this is even when both are plugged in only the left side mic sounds poor. I don't recall any change from the right. I'm going to try and record it I think

Ok, more oddness. Bose A20 plugged into left side front alone, fine. Bose A20 plugged into the front left and Lightspeed Sierra plugged into the front right, problem. Bose A20 plugged into the front left and Lightspeed Zulu 3 plugged into the front right, fine. Bose A20 front left and Lightspeed Sierra in the back, fine.

Something about the Sierra plugged into the front right that cause the issue. I have 2 pairs of Sierras and they both do it.

Back