Audio Book for long drive

Kevin87

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Kevin87
Hi guys,

I will have 10 hours driving in a car this weekend and thought I could put it to good use listening to some flying material.

Anyone have any advise on a good audio book I can pick up related to flight training or aviation?

Machado's books.

Oh thanks! This is going to be a life saver.

I just bought The Best of Rod Machado Live. That should cover me for the whole trip.

A Higher Call: An Incredible True Story of Combat and Chivalry in the War-Torn Skies of World War II

A GREAT story, well read by Robertson Dean 13 hrs 21 minutes....I should warn you, it's one you will not want to put down. You might want to park in a rest stop and just listen. Will make you understand the air war in WWII in a totally different light.

Fighter Pilot: The Memoirs of Legendary Ace Robin Olds also read by Robertson Dean....17 hours of bliss!

Not an audiobook per se but if you're into history and war stories, this is awesome.
http://www.dancarlin.com//disp.php/hharchive

It's basically a military history enthusiast telling the story of major wars in an entertaining and informative format... really gets into the kind of details you don't normally hear in school or in a documentary.

Thanks guys this is all great! I will be able to dork out on aviation for the whole trip.

Did you know there was a radio version of the old Sky King TV show?

Available here:
http://www.otrcat.com/sky-king-p-1835.html

That web page has links to other old time aviation related radio series. I have no idea of the quality. They might sound quaint, bad, or surprisingly good compared to contemporary standards. I've listened to some old radio series that ran the gamut. For example, I found the radio show "Tales of the Texas Rangers" to be pretty good - like CSI set in 1950s era Texas.

Or just search the web using the keywords "old time radio" with or without "aviation".

Last edited:
Not an audiobook per se but if you're into history and war stories, this is awesome.
http://www.dancarlin.com//disp.php/hharchive

It's basically a military history enthusiast telling the story of major wars in an entertaining and informative format... really gets into the kind of details you don't normally hear in school or in a documentary.

2nd for Dan Carlin. In addition to an outstanding history podcast (Hardcore History), he does a very level-headed political podcast (Common Sense). Can't recommend highly enough.

"It doesn't take a hero". An autobiography by General Norman Schwartzkopf of Gulf War I fame. Not strictly aviation related, but fascinating in every way. I listened to the book while commuting and spent more time than I would like to admit sitting in the parking lot waiting for a good spot to turn it off. Highly Recommended even if it isn't purely aviation related.

-Skip

2nd for Dan Carlin. In addition to an outstanding history podcast (Hardcore History), he does a very level-headed political podcast (Common Sense). Can't recommend highly enough.

3rd for Dan Carlin-I am now listening to Chapter 3 about World War I. Can't get to my aviation podcasts because I'm so wrapped up in this story.

Not such a fan of his political podcast however.

Not aviation, but I'm currently listening to the Atlantis Gene. So far it's been a very good read/listen.

Aviation related: Uncontrolled Airspace

Back