Auctioning airspace

I'm so over privatization...

NJ tried to sell its Turnpike. Chicago DID sell its parking meters.

Airspace rights in big cities are sold for skywalks Bridges and buildings.

I'm sure, once the airspace is auctioned off, I'll have to pay some consortium for the privilege of breathing... And exhalation will be a VAT...

Stop this insanity.

It is not good news for us but it certainly would be for taxpayers ...

So.... you’re not a taxpayer?

Yeah,I am ...but face it ... a lot of various county airports only exists because majority of taxpayers have no idea they are paying for an airport that has something like 40 takeoffs and landings a day with 99% of them being just fo recreational purpose.

Yeah,I am ...but face it ... a lot of various county airports only exists because majority of taxpayers have no idea they are paying for an airport that has something like 40 takeoffs and landings a day with 99% of them being just fo recreational purpose.

The other day I told this exact same thing to a buddy of mine and he is still pizzed at me

A municipal airport is as essential as main street if a community wants to have a chance for commerce and growth.

You assume that isn't revenue positive for the locality, which is a poor assumption

Exactly the same as parks, trails, swimming pools, splash pads, museums, etc. and the list goes on and on. If Joe Public knew how much their government spends on things, they'd be amazed and saddened. That's not even including "economic development" which a lot of times means "how to give public money to my friends".

When public goods are given to private interests they generally become unavailable to the public.

We just commissioned the local college, using undergraduate research students supervised by faculty, to study and publish the results of the economic impact of the local airport, the only public use airport in the county. The impact turns out to be substantial. In addition, good financial management keeps the taxpayer investment low or negligible. Win-win, including recreational flying.

Back