Auburn & Birmingham, Alabama

CJones

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
uHaveNoIdea
My bro-in-law got us tickets for the Auburn - Florida football game Oct. 14th. I'll be *weather permitting* flying the RV down from central Iowa on Friday before the game with a stop in Birmingham to pick my b.i.l. up from the airport since he is coming directly from meetings in Las Vegas that week. From there, we'll fly on over to Auburn, where he has friends that will be there tailgating all weekend.

My questions: What should I expect with BHM? Easy in-out for small VFR guys? What FBO should I use there (I'll need some way to get from the GA parking to the terminal to pick him up - preferably courtesy van, etc.). I'm *assuming* KAUO is the airport closest/easiest to get to the 'action' at Auburn that weekend. Any pointers on what to/not to do with regards to that airport?

Way the by: I am comfortable with the 'large' airport feel that BHM might have -- in-and-out of MDW 3 times, etc. -- so I'm just curious about any local oddities to be ready for.

Thanks for any pointers...

-Chris

I did a touch and go at Auburn after Gastons. It's real close to the stadium. You might need a slot reservation.

BHM TRACON is very VFR friendly. The FBO I've used was Millionaire and now is Mercury. If they are like their other locations around the south expect it a lukewarm welcome. I haven't been to BHM since JetSouth opened but their Airnav comments are positive both there and at other JetSouth locations.

Pell City to the east has a nice restaurant on the field. Bessemer and Alabaster are further out to the south/southeast, but all are handled by BHM approach.

If you can make it to Auburn, the fuel is cheaper than BHM. Fees and temporary tower in effect for the FL game.

http://www.auoairport.com/gameday.html

Last edited:
N2212R said:
I did a touch and go at Auburn after Gastons. It's real close to the stadium. You might need a slot reservation.

Call the FBO on that and make sure they will have parking, also watch the stadium NOTAM to make sure your arrival will not conflict with it.

Looks like plans have changed:

I will be picking my bro-in-law up in BHM Friday night then flying both of us to Montgomery where his buddies got us hotel rooms. They will pick us up there and we will commence the weekend activities from that point.

Any tips/ideas about Montgomery Regional (KMGM)? I gotta make sure I don't end up at Maxwell AFB by accident. ha!

-Chris

Ken Ibold said:
Make sure to wear your Gator colors. Auburn is going DOWN!

Actually, I'll be wearing my Crimson Tide colors... and since neither Florida nor Auburn students know their colors anyway, I should be in good shape! :D

Actually, it will be one heckuva game! Just heard that ESPN GameDay will be based there. Can't wait for my bro-in-law Iowa fan to see what REAL football is all about! :D

-Chris

I took my checkride at Auburn. It is easy to fly in. There will be a temporary control tower operating. It should be easy getting in and out.

As mentioned above. Pell City (PLR) is worth the stop if you are there at meal time. Sammie's Touch and Go is a favorite of ours!

Back