Au revoir VUO

Pilawt

Final Approach
Santa Rosita State Park, under the big 'W'
Display Name

Display name:
Pilawt
Last week I took off from home field VUO in Vancouver WA, on a two-day, three-stop, 900 nm trip to reposition the 172 to its new home at Goodyear, Arizona. We don't move until January, but I figured it best not to wait until the northwest weather gets any worse to make this long trip. As it was, I took off on what was forecasted to be the only decent VFR departure opportunity for at least a week. The trip was slow, with 20-knot + headwinds most of the way, but at least it was smooth and uneventful (other than dealing with a yellowjacket in the cabin at 11,500'). The airplane is now in its hangar at GYR, I took care of some pre-move business in AZ, then flew commercial back to PDX, while we wrap things up here.

As I taxied through the goose guano on my way out to runway 8, it occurred to me that, barring some future return visit, this was likely my last takeoff from VUO. A lot has happened since my first landing there in 1993 (below photo, in this same airplane, which then belonged to my dad), when we first considered leaving our Southern California roots to move to Vancouver WA.

AV4_00871_zpsct5fvbut.jpg

We've had a great time at VUO and treasure the wonderful friends the airport has brought us.

Now it's on to a new adventure. I've met some of the hangar neighbors at GYR, and they seem a congenial group. There was time last week for a few brief flights from the new home base (including an early-morning ride with my son and grandson). I think it'll work out well there.

Last glimpse of VUO after takeoff:

SAM_1659_HDR_zpsqotudjtz.jpeg

Preparing for first-light departure after an overnight stop at the halfway point, Elko, Nevada:

SAM_1684_HDR_zpshbobfkc9.jpeg

Crossing the Ruby Mountains at dawn:

SAM_1692_HDR_zpssgjbvuxm.jpeg

Grand Canyon, near 1Z1:

SAM_1705_HDR_zps5wpuqur3.jpeg

SAM_1706_HDR_zps6wuf8iae.jpeg

Tucked in its new home:

IMG_2606_HDR_zpsvgetpgp2.jpeg

Out for the first sortie in my new sandbox (literally):

SAM_1804_HDR_zpskvgf4ids.jpeg

Looks like a great trip! Thanks for sharing!

Wow, so nice and picturesque place you have been. The images are cool.

Nice photos,hope you enjoy your move.

Back