Attn: Teller1900

Lawreston

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Harley Reich
That nice, often final waypoint(Photo #1) going into Knox County KRKD?
Just inbound of it the restaurant at the end of the pier -- used to be the Black Pearl -- has been renovated and reopened a week ago under new ownership and new name, The Pearl on the Pier. Very nice!
http://www.thepearlrockland.com. It should do very well; hopefully, the idiot who torched the previous facility is still in prison.

HR

Attachments

• Rockland Breakwater Lighthouse 060710.jpg
    Rockland Breakwater Lighthouse 060710.jpg
    545.6 KB · Views: 14
  • PoA The Pearl.jpg
    PoA The Pearl.jpg
    405 KB · Views: 15
  • PoA The Pearl_2.jpg
    PoA The Pearl_2.jpg
    485.4 KB · Views: 15
Good tip. We're headed to the Samoset for a week or so in August, and will be flying in to Knox County. Seems like I found our first restaurant.

Good tip. We're headed to the Samoset for a week or so in August, and will be flying in to Knox County. Seems like I found our first restaurant.

I'd like to hear your thoughts - we own at Samoset and always trade/sell our slot; haven't been by in a very long time.

Cheers,

-Andrew

The clam chowder and shrimp scampi were both very good. The chef had been at Rockland's upscale Primo Restaurant for three years. At lunch time the menu featured the Raw Bar, Appetizers, and sandwiches -- no entrees, "At lunch," said the server. I suspect that having only been open a week or so -- and the summer traffic yet to hit the area by June 07 -- they may be in a dry run scenario. Its interior is better lighted(natural) than the old Black Pearl was. And there was a ladder leading to above, I suspect some finishing touches(electrical?) being done by a contractor.

Last edited:

These two shots of The Pearl I took from across the harbor, near The Boathouse(and marina), another restaurant and lounge. Another destination dining plus is Amalfi, walking distance from the other two.

HR

EDIT: The last photo was taken from "The Boathouse." Your most visible waypoint is in the center. When you fly into KRKD one of the runways runs(if landing from the sea) just a short distance out of the right side of my image.

Attachments

• PoA The Pearl_3.jpg
    PoA The Pearl_3.jpg
    637.5 KB · Views: 3
  • PoA The Pearl_4.jpg
    PoA The Pearl_4.jpg
    720.9 KB · Views: 3
  • PoA The Pearl_5.jpg
    PoA The Pearl_5.jpg
    800.4 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
As usual, Harley, fantastic photos! I had forgotten they were doing that. It's a little sad to see that old rock breakwater go away (or did they just build the pier over it?), but I'm glad they did such a fantastic job of building something that fits in with the surrounding scenery without looking to gauche/touristy. I really hope I'll be able to get back up there and do some BOS-BHB flying again, maybe get to see the old sights around there! Junelle and I are hoping to take a vacation at some point and drive up to Maine again...that will definitely have to be on the itenerary! Of course I'll be letting you know if/when that happens. Thanks for keeping me updated!

The historic Breakwater(and lighthouse) remain as has been since "alpha." The pier is also over 60 years old. The newly-opened Pearl on the Pier physical location was known as The Woodshed back in the 50s and 60s. After that a new ownership operated "Black Pearl" restaurant and bar. That ran for many years but eventually closed. 10 or so(??) years ago some idiot set the inoperative facility on fire. Eventually, a new developer tried to restore the fire-damaged facility but every time he got so far along the city threw more codes issue hoops at him to navigate and he finally ran out of money. The arsonist was finally charged and convicted. And now the new owner, Jimmy Fanning, has finished the project and opened "The Pearl on the Pier."

The Breakwater hasn't "gone away." It remains in full view of any "Pearl" diner who happens to have a window seat or walks anywhere on the pier.

I produce a box of six photo greeting cards -- various views of the Breakwater Lighthouse(and Breakwater). There is a very good chance the box of cards will become
available at the cash-out desk at the new restaurant. On Thursday I'll meet with the treasurer of "Friends of Rockland Breakwater/Lighthouse," possibly resulting in the box of cards getting into the Lighthouse Gift Shop(and [maybe] the Samoset Hotel gift Shop{no appointment yet}).
-- See the left portion of the "trio" photo --
The Samoset Resort can be seen 7/8 mile back from the lighthouse in the top photo.

HR

EDITED qualification: The three boxes in the photo have nothing but six envelopes in each because I had yet to finish the cards. Hence, the illustrated header wasn't sitting flat on the partial contents. That caused the distortion "bend." The finished design has the "header" on the bottom of the boxes, the transparent cover showing the full view(4" x 6" photo) on a card.

Basically like this, at the topside(last photo), though not the Rockland edition of a single card.

Attachments

• Boxed Cards Trio.jpg
    Boxed Cards Trio.jpg
    810 KB · Views: 2
  • Seguin Box #2.jpg
    Seguin Box #2.jpg
    556.8 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
I'd like to hear your thoughts - we own at Samoset and always trade/sell our slot; haven't been by in a very long time.

Cheers,

-Andrew

I didn't even know they had timeshares. We were there way, way back in 1995, not long after it re-opened. Nice, peaceful, and a great golf course. It'll be interesting to see what has changed (and hopefully for the better).

I didn't even know they had timeshares. We were there way, way back in 1995, not long after it re-opened. Nice, peaceful, and a great golf course. It'll be interesting to see what has changed (and hopefully for the better).

Given our assessment bill... I hope so as well!

Our aunt/uncle bought this many years ago (I don't know when). We bought their week (direct from them) when they bought a bed and breakfast. I do know that Samoset sells weeks from time to time.

Cheers,

-Andrew

Back