Attn: NE Texas pilots

spiderweb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ben
What would be the preferred routing for TKI-ASL and back? SIDs and STARs necessary? (NA C172 /G)

Ben, I'd file it direct and see what I got. Being that far north (TKI), and staying as low as you are likely to fly (compared to the jet traffic inbound / outbound DFW), you might well get it.

As it is, the whole thing could be flown (both ways) as a partial DP / STAR (sorry, too lazy to go out to car to get charts, but will if you like).

Would it be presumptuous to file direct and notate "No DPs/STARs?" Every time I fly out of and into TKI, they want me to fly a procedure, and it just adds to the stress. Ironic that there are so many there, and so few for BWI. I do understnad why there are there, though--DFW, DAL, and ADS might have something to do with it!

I could understand a STAR or DP if you were flying far away or to another busy airport. McKinney to Marshall doesn't seem like that kind of situation.

In the D/FW area, arrivals come over four VORs--the one to the Northeast is Bonham (probably the Fingr three arrival). However, looking at STARs in the U.S. Terminal procedures, I don't see one listed arriving from the NE coming to McKinney. They seem to be more concerned bringing you from one of the other directions and working you in through D/FW arrival traffic.

Departure procedures go cardnal directions. Looks like Garland Two or DallasEight go east. Hubbard Five is a possiblity. Look at each one and note the transition closest to your intended direction. Remember, these are just in case you lose commo. You should get radar vectors to the airway.

If you're real concerned, put each one where you copy your clearance with the first transition that looks likely. When they read it, you can just circle the correct one.

I recently left Hobby at night and didn't know what they'd give me. Look for the ones going in the general direction you will head to join the airway. Normally, even as busy as it is here, there are only one or two choices in your direction.

Clearances will get easier as you copy more of them. I have a check list that I fill in before calling.

A recent clearance I received was like this:

Cleared to: C47
Initial Heading: Runway heading
Vectors? Vectors to DP
Routing: As filed or direct. If an airway; write the route in before calling
Initial Altitude:
Final Altitude:
Squawk:
Transponder:

Have the charts open to your route and the DP marked or open to the page you think you'll get.

I've called from a hand held in the cockpit when concerned about a clearance after doing everything to depart except cranking the engine. On one occassion, it really helped me clear up an issue I didn't understand. On another, I didn't start the engine; departure delays were lengthy!

Dave

I think I might try, for the first time in my life, filing direct. Just put a nice D in the route section of that flight plan. I have no trouble copying complex clearances, but I sure would enjoy simply turning direct after a couple of minutes!

Whoa--I'm looking at it now. There are a LOT of DPs and STARs!

Last edited:
I'm going to file direct. I know that they've wanted me to come in from BYP before, but I'm filing direct, anyway.

wangmyers said:
I think I might try, for the first time in my life, filing direct. Just put a nice D in the route section of that flight plan. I have no trouble copying complex clearances, but I sure would enjoy simply turning direct after a couple of minutes!

Whoa--I'm looking at it now. There are a LOT of DPs and STARs!

Ben,
I've filed via VORs and then put DIRECT WHEN ABLE in the remarks. Sometimes they can, sometimes they just laugh.

Please post back what you end up getting.

Fly well, fly safe.

Back