Attn Mooney Owners...Advice Needed

Good info. After doing some serious finance budgeting, I'm trying to convince a buddy to go in on a Mooney with me...otherwise it looks like I'll be renting rather than owning for a bit unfortunately.

The C cowl was a piece of cake. Two side panels could be popped off in a minute or less giving access to most of the engine. The top could be removed in another 2-3 minutes. Much easier than the split cowls on later Mooneys.

The cowling on a C model (and all Pre J models that haven't been converted) is a four piece affair. A top, bottom and two sides. Like LD says here, the top cowl and the cheek panels come off pretty quick. This gives you access to probably 80% of the engine and it's accessories.

However, the lower cowl is a *****. It's a PITA to get off and on. You need to drop the lower cowl to change the alternator/generator, the starter, the fuel servo, the induction boot and maybe the muffler. The last one is the only one I haven't had to, or wanted to take off yet.

The later J style cowl is a two piece clam shell and I'm told it's actually pretty easy to get it all off. Although for day to day inspections and for most routine repairs, the vintage cowl is very nice.

And apparently on some newer ones too. The '77 M20J I just started flying doesn''t have them.

My '87J 205 doesn't have right side brakes either.

Biggest con is the back seat- it's not roomy. That's not a big concern to me since I'm not in the back seat :).

Biggest con to me... getting in and out! I love my plane and it's not a big issue, but getting in and out is a PITA. The OWTs are there and you'll get them as a Mooney pilot, but it's tough to look graceful getting in and out. It's even tougher for your passengers- it's not an easy thing to do without practice. However... if your passengers aren't comfortable getting in they can stay on the ground- not your problem!

Good luck with your search. If you can find an E model with a J cowl go for it!!!

Biggest con to me... getting in and out! I love my plane and it's not a big issue, but getting in and out is a PITA. The OWTs are there and you'll get them as a Mooney pilot, but it's tough to look graceful getting in and out. It's even tougher for your passengers- it's not an easy thing to do without practice.

Not any worse than any other low wing, is it? Actually, I feel like it's maybe a bit better than a Cherokee - I think the door comes up over the top of the fuselage a bit more.

Regardless, like most planes, there's a trick. Heck, getting my 6'4" 300# frame into many airplanes is a trick, but I can get into a J-3 Cub now that I know how.

The trick with the Mooney is to put your left leg in on the floor, then your right knee in on the copilot's seat, then your butt into the pilot's seat and rotate your legs over where they're supposed to be. Getting out is just the opposite - Swing your leg over to the right seat, kneel on your right knee, and swing your left leg out onto the wingwalk. That last part is the hardest of all, I think... But it leaves you in position to just stand up on your left leg, lifting your right one out simultaneously. I use my right arm on the door frame to give me a bit more leverage - My knees ain't what they used to be.

Not any worse than any other low wing, is it? Actually, I feel like it's maybe a bit better than a Cherokee - I think the door comes up over the top of the fuselage a bit more.

Regardless, like most planes, there's a trick. Heck, getting my 6'4" 300# frame into many airplanes is a trick, but I can get into a J-3 Cub now that I know how.

The trick with the Mooney is to put your left leg in on the floor, then your right knee in on the copilot's seat, then your butt into the pilot's seat and rotate your legs over where they're supposed to be. Getting out is just the opposite - Swing your leg over to the right seat, kneel on your right knee, and swing your left leg out onto the wingwalk. That last part is the hardest of all, I think... But it leaves you in position to just stand up on your left leg, lifting your right one out simultaneously. I use my right arm on the door frame to give me a bit more leverage - My knees ain't what they used to be.

I can't say- I don't have much experience with other low wing planes. The DA40 and Cirrus were both easier than the Mooney. I had a ride in a V-tail bonanza, but that was 2+ years ago and I didn't have my ticket at that point- I don't remember any issues getting in. I've never been in a Piper.

I generally step in the plane and then sit down on the copilot seat and then scoot across- it works for me.

I can't say- I don't have much experience with other low wing planes. The DA40 and Cirrus were both easier than the Mooney. I had a ride in a V-tail bonanza, but that was 2+ years ago and I didn't have my ticket at that point- I don't remember any issues getting in.

Heh... The DA40 is pretty much cheating. Open the canopy, stand straight up, step out. Certainly one of the easiest planes to get in and out of.

I just bought my 1965 Mooney M20E last month, and I love it. Lycoming IO360 fuel injected with 200 HP - 20 more horsepower over C model. E model is probably your best speed for your buck.

I'm 6'7", but pretty lanky - not wide. The legroom is amazing. It's a very comfortable 2 seater. I've had 3 people including me and it's tolerable for maybe an hour or so. The only way you'll do 4 is if people in the back are small kids. But for the two people up front, can't beat the legroom.

I file 148 knots and figure 10.5 gph on mine, but I'm still getting used to it.

Johnson bar takes a little getting used to, but it is a fool-proof system.

As for leaky tanks, yes, Mooneys have issue with them. You can do several things: do a complete reseal, install bladders or do a patch job. Depending on severity, it may not be necessary to do a full reseal, but be sure that a reputable shop does the work. I'm having Don Maxwell address my fuel tank issues.

For 45k, you're looking at short-body models C and E. You may find an F model in that price range which is a stretched E model (200HP fuel injected) with 10" added to fuselage of which your back seat gets 5" which now you're looking at a true 4 seater. Lower end J's usually start in 60's.

Also, if you go the Mooney route, have a Mooney Service Center do your prebuy inspection. They know exactly what to look for. It will save you lots of money in the long run.

Bottom line, you want speed and economy, can't go wrong with a Mooney.

Here is some reading for you:

http://www.mooneypilots.com/mapalog/M20C Evaluation/M20C_Evaluation_Report.html

http://www.mooneypilots.com/mapalog/m20e.html

Last edited:
Back