ATTN: IT People

I consider satellite to be the last resort option. If you can't get cable, dsl, or fast wireless access you are left with satellite. It's better than dial up but does have some flaws.

The average person does not have a real good understanding of what 'speed' is. They think of speed as being one thing and the more of that one thing the faster websites will load. The most common thing companies advertise is their throughput measured in bits per second. This is the only number the average Joe has to work off of. The throughput or bits per second of satellite is generally pretty decent.

In the world of 'speed' there is an often overlooked factor. This factory is latency. Let me try to explain latency. Imagine a pipe. The pipe has a certain diameter and also has a pressure. The capacity and pressure of the pipe determine how much actual water goes through it.

Let's say that you have a very large pipe. 1 foot in diameter. You could obviously pump a lot of water through this. Now let's say that this pipe is 1,000 miles long. You are sitting on one end of this pipe and on the other end you have a lake. You decide you want some water so you open a valve. It would take quite some time for that water to travel 1,000 miles to you. You could make the pipe smaller, or larger, either way it's not going to matter much. It'll take time for that water to get to you. This time is latency. Once that water does reach your end of the pipe, the larger the pipe, the more water will come out of it if the pressure is the same.

Megabit/Kilobit/bits per second is throughput. Think of this as the size of the pipe (always 10 psi). The larger the pipe--the more water you get. But the throughput of this pipe really has little to do with how long it takes that water to get to you initially.

Satellite often has good throughput but terrible latency. It doesn't matter what *ANYONE* tells you that latency is always going to be terrible. Let's run some math.

The satellite is 22,000 miles from the Earth. The speed of light is 186 miles per millisecond. This equals 118 ms AT best for a signal to reach the satellite from Earth. When you send a packet to the internet it must:
  1. Go from your computer to the Satellite 118 ms
  2. Satellitle to Server on Earth 118 ms
  3. Server on Earth to Satellite 118 ms
  4. Satellite to your computer on Earth 118 ms
This is a total of 472 ms at *best* in a perfect world to send a packet to another server on the internet. In the real world you have delays in the equipment. You have packet loss from the atmosphere and quite often you are sitting more around 2000 ms (2 seconds!) Your average cable/dsl connection does this in about 60 ms. You are probably thinking well those are just miliseconds--not even a second! That doesn't matter!. Well it does matter because your requests to load a website will often involve thousands and thousands of packets.

Now let's think about this. We can generally get pretty good throughput through the satellite (think about that pipe again) but terrible latency. This means that website surfing from site to site isn't *NEAR* as snappy as cable or DSL. Actually it's pretty similar and often worse than dial up. When you start to download a file though things improve. Once those requests are made that satellite can beam a constant stream of data to you and download at a pretty fast speed in bits per second. The problem is the more people that are using that satellite the more this will slow down.

In conclusion what I am trying to tell you is this:
  1. WildBlue offers up to 1.5 megabit of service. The daily web surfing will *NOT* feel as fast as 1.5 megabit of cable or dsl. Not even close. The latency is *VERY* noticeable.
  2. Satellite internet is your last resort option.
  3. If you can't get cable/dsl/decent wireless go with Satellite--it's better than dial up.

Jesse did a good job explaining it.

472 milliseconds is nearly 1/2 second. If everything is working perfectly and the server responds promptly, it is 1/2 second from the click to the screen response. That is very noticable. When transferring files, this isn't bad, but it make general web browsing less pleasant. Some software chokes over this latency as well, but this is less of a problem than it has been.

I have heard good and so-so about WildBlue (by comparison to its other satellite competitor, HughesNet). I am not sure the satellite experience is quite as bad as jesse describes it, but he's right- any other broadband option is better.

All that said, I am likely to be scheduling my WildBlue install, at our country cabin, soon. Only choice!

I am not sure the satellite experience is quite as bad as jesse describes it

Well. Unless they figured out how to go faster than the speed of light, it's as I described.

Well. Unless they figured out how to go faster than the speed of light, it's as I described.

I am not challenging the actual latency, can't cheat physics- just that, in my experience, the delay is noticeable, but not agonizing. In any event, if it's the only choice...

I have tested satellite internet on remote control apps (GoToMyPC), and it works. Not great, but it works.

In any event, if it's the only choice...

Exactly. If it is the only choice--it's still better than dial up. But make sure it's the only choice before going with it.

I've seen a lot of smaller cell phone companies that offer high speed internet via wireless antennas they put on their towers. Basically you point a directional antenna at your house to their tower and wallah. High speed. This is not the same as the service you receive via you phone. Whole different deal.

Jesse nailed it on both the satellite and fixed terrestrial wireless counts. Before committing to WildBlue, check out the area again and see if there's a wireless broadband provider available... I've noticed that many times they're smaller outfits that may be lower profile, but it'd be worth it. In any case, wireless of course has its downsides but it's more or less on par with DSL or cable, and pretty much anything other than dial-up is better than satellite.

Good luck!

I am not sure the satellite experience is quite as bad as jesse describes it, but he's right- any other broadband option is better.
/quote]

Jesse got it right. We had an instrument in beta that had ~1/2 second latency. It was both noticable and annoying. If there is little human intervention (just pushing bits or moving large files), then satellite works well. If you are playing video games with someone, I think you will be frustrated. I wonder how multiuser flight simulator would work with 1/2 second delay...

You'll want to use Firefox and config it to have a maximum number of simultaneous http links. Using sliding window TCP/IP and setting it up the stream the maximum number of packets without an ack will help, too.

I knew I was asking at the right place. Presently, my house in the Brunswick-"Topsham" area has Comcast(bought out Susquehanna Communications) cable for TV and wide-band Internet(and VOIP). I can get a ton of profit from this 1983 house which I bought in 1985. Even with times being in a buyers' market now the time is ripe because in a couple years the area will begin to feel the "approach" of the 2011 closing of Naval Air Station Brunswick. The house on which I'm negotiating is located in Georgetown(http://www.georgetown.u47.k12.me.us/history.html), the house in a rural spot a mile or less from the ocean(Reid State Park), Robinhood Marina not far through a wooded road from my(assumed) house, and the present and/or past home of numerous world famous people(artists/sculptors) whom I've had as customers in my old camera store.

However, the town is small enough that cable hasn't made it that far, yet; and Verizon is the land telephone provider, but no DSL, yet. The house sits at the top of a hill with a clear cut to the South, and I'm told that a traditional old antenna w/rotor should do well for ABC, NBC, CBS, and Public Television.
That leaves the Internet situation. For lack of Verizon DSL I'd probably go without a land line, keeping my cellular service.
WildBlue might solve the Internet problem.

HR

EDIT: if this works -- http://www.capstonevirtualtours.com/virtualtours/tours/tour.cfm?id=754192

Man, HR, you should definitely look for a local WISP (Wireless Internet Service Provider); if you are up high like that, you might be surprised at how far away a WISP's nearest POP is and still be accessible.

LOL, Spike. "up high like that" may only relate to 65-100msl, ocean not being far way.
Photo #3, during rain storm and I never got out of the truck, is from the main road, looking up the access road.
Photo #2 is from property driveway-end, looking down(obviously).
Photo #1 is from just a little further down the access road.

A homeowner nearby told me that the road "can be a trial on the worst of winter days," to which my thought is if there's beer in the fridge, food on the shelves, sufficient kitty food, and propane gas for the backup heat, I don't have to be anywhere to punch a clock.

HR

Attachments

• Henry Road1.jpg
    Henry Road1.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 10
  • Henry Road2.jpg
    Henry Road2.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 7
  • Henry Road3.jpg
    Henry Road3.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 6
Back