Attitude indicator

Everything requires a bit of research. At first glance things may appear "certified" and they aren't. Just like replacement LED Nav lighting asemblies, the TSO they were certified to does not cover all requirements for installation.

Their flyer does show TSO-C4c, TSO-C133 and a couple DO- specs.

TSO-C4c - Contains minimum performance standards and specifications of materials, parts, processes and appliances uses...of the Civil Air Regulations. (Pitch & Bank Instruments)

TSO-113 - This TSO’s standards apply to equipment intended for use as an electronic display in the flight deck by the flight crew in 14 CFR Part 23, 25, 27, and 29 aircraft.This TSO covers basic display standards, but does not include specific application requirements.

DO-160F - set of minimal standard environmental test conditions (categories) and corresponding test procedures for airborne equipment.​

DO-178 - guidance to determine if the software will perform reliably in an airborne environment​

Even if someone complained it didn't have a field approval it should be very easy to get IMHO.​

Last edited:
Space on the panel..

I see that the VSI, heading indicator and turn coordinator are in each others' positions. Is there a space problem behind that panel?

Dan

One of my super cub friends wants to go to one of these, anyone using one? Rough service of the cub only gets about 200 hours service from a regular vac gyro.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/inpages/rca2600.php
If he can swap it out, he can eliminate the whole vac system. every ounce counts
As long as he isn't planning to fly that plane IFR, I see no problem. Otherwise, he's going to need a vacuum T&B to be IFR legal, and now we're back to that pesky vacuum system. (I'm assuming he's not prepared to install a dual-source dual-bus electrical system like that on a Cirrus.)

As long as he isn't planning to fly that plane IFR, I see no problem. Otherwise, he's going to need a vacuum T&B to be IFR legal, and now we're back to that pesky vacuum system. (I'm assuming he's not prepared to install a dual-source dual-bus electrical system like that on a Cirrus.)
He'll probably go IFR when they have ILSs into the sand bars along the yukon river or at his cabin.

I doubt you would need one. You can fly IFR with one nav...

As long as he isn't planning to fly that plane IFR, I see no problem. Otherwise, he's going to need a vacuum T&B to be IFR legal,

Why..?
Part 91's requirements do not require two system redundancy. 91.205

I would give D10 a serious look, but D2 sounds like a fine idea too. The value of the supposed certification of the RCA unit seems somewhat questionable to me.

Does part 23 apply to said supercub? :rofl:

The N number you see is not the aircraft we are talking about, it simply has the same instrument panel to show it does not have the space to use the square instruments.

I think modding this airplane is pretty loose.

That aircraft has every legal STC or field approval the FAA will allow and still fly, It has approval paper on every mod.

OBTW the subject gyro is an approved TSOed replacement gyro for the gyro that was originally installed.

That aircraft has every legal STC or field approval the FAA will allow and still fly, It has approval paper on every mod.

OBTW the subject gyro is an approved TSOed replacement gyro for the gyro that was originally installed.

I think you misiterpreted what I wrote. I meant a Supercub is easy to mod, ie part 23 doesn't apply, so you should be able to do all kinds of cvool stuff. That solid state attitude indicator looks very adequate for what you propose.

I think you misiterpreted what I wrote. I meant a Supercub is easy to mod, ie part 23 doesn't apply, so you should be able to do all kinds of cvool stuff. That solid state attitude indicator looks very adequate for what you propose.
What I was looking for was some one who has one installed and how well it worked as to life in rough service, But I guess no one here has one installed.

The PA 18, is probably the most modified aircraft in inventory.

Everything requires a bit of research. At first glance things may appear "certified" and they aren't. Just like replacement LED Nav lighting asemblies, the TSO they were certified to does not cover all requirements for installation.

Their flyer does show TSO-C4c, TSO-C133 and a couple DO- specs.

TSO-C4c - Contains minimum performance standards and specifications of materials, parts, processes and appliances uses...of the Civil Air Regulations. (Pitch & Bank Instruments)

TSO-113 - This TSO’s standards apply to equipment intended for use as an electronic display in the flight deck by the flight crew in 14 CFR Part 23, 25, 27, and 29 aircraft.This TSO covers basic display standards, but does not include specific application requirements.

DO-160F - set of minimal standard environmental test conditions (categories) and corresponding test procedures for airborne equipment.​

DO-178 - guidance to determine if the software will perform reliably in an airborne environment​

Even if someone complained it didn't have a field approval it should be very easy to get IMHO.​
Hi,how to get the files you mentioned above? Thanks

Back