Attitude indicator died, going to duct tape an iPod in its place

Kiddo's Driver

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Jim
My AI is kaput. Good vacuum, it flops around every once in a while, but is pretty much dead. I fly VFR only right now & an AI isn't even required. I'm thinking about mounting an iPod over the AI and using my Stratus 2S to drive the AHRS app, Stratus Horizons.

http://ipadpilotnews.com/2013/05/pilot-report-flying-with-stratus-2/

All of this is in hopes of the FAA approving a faster way to get modern electronics in the cockpit that don't cost a fortune.

EDIT: Looks like some of the FAA part is already easier than I thought. Since my Tampico is a part 23 aircraft I can install a new, certified electronic AI as a minor modification instead of requiring a Field Approval.
https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media...cy-makes-upgrading-attitude-indicators-easier
I'm still going to do the iPhone/iPod thing for now in hopes that more/better options are coming in the future for less expensive & more capable glass options.

Last edited:
Long Time No See!!!!!

How are you doing man????

The app will run on my old iPhone 4 that is sitting in a drawer doing nothing. I'll try it on that first. The screen is TINY, but I'll give it a shot.
The iPhone 4 screen is 3.5 inches (3 inches wide by 2 inches tall), but since it is only 2 inches tall it is equivalent to a 2 inch instrument with extra space on the sides for the strip charts. The one in the plane is 3-3/8 inch. Overall the iPhone is 5 inches by 2-3/4 inches, so it should fit into the panel space without covering the Airspeed indicator or the Altimeter.
So it might look something like this:
upload_2017-5-18_7-59-20.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-5-18_7-43-19.png
    upload_2017-5-18_7-43-19.png
    175.5 KB · Views: 31
Note: you need an external ahars, the sensors in the iPhone are very insufficient...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And also an iPod touch is a great option if you wanna leave it in the plane...

I was thinking you were going to mount it vertically.

this thing seems pretty cool, $1k though:
http://www.dynonavionics.com/pocket-panel.php

I don't know if its better or worse than stratus' sensors

I have one. I bought it pre Stratus existence. It panel docs which is nice. Look in the lower left...

fde3c7874ee4ad080924cc25d291c0ee.jpg

I have one. I bought it pre Stratus existence. It panel docs which is nice. Look in the lower left...

fde3c7874ee4ad080924cc25d291c0ee.jpg

I really like that.
I would like it even more if there was a second bracket over the primary AI. If the primary fails, you moved the Dynon to the bracket over the primary & keep flying. THAT would be cool!

Added bonus of dragging out my old iPhone 4, that sucker can hold a LOT of movies! (32 GB) I put SD movies on it at less than 2 GB per movie and then can watch them on the TV in my RV using my Apple TV. (No WiFi at the RV.)
Edit: Recreational Vehicle, the other RV.

Last edited:
Added bonus of dragging out my old iPhone 4, that sucker can hold a LOT of movies! (32 GB) I put SD movies on it at less than 2 GB per movie and then can watch them on the TV in my RV using my Apple TV. (No WiFi at the RV.)
Ima guessing that's an RV-10? o_O:(

I'm not sure what plane you have but I would lean towards a Garmin G5. That looks like a heck of a solution for $2150 for certified aircraft.

I'm not sure what plane you have but I would lean towards a Garmin G5. That looks like a heck of a solution for $2150 for certified aircraft.
"$2150"
Ummm....Nope!
I'll wait for the rule change to come out, then put in some super useful flat screen thing at the "only for experimental" price.
I'm patient. AI is not required for VFR flight.

http://www.santaclaravalley99s.org/hangar/mel.html

The app will run on my old iPhone 4 that is sitting in a drawer doing nothing. I'll try it on that first. The screen is TINY, but I'll give it a shot.
The iPhone 4 screen is 3.5 inches (3 inches wide by 2 inches tall), but since it is only 2 inches tall it is equivalent to a 2 inch instrument with extra space on the sides for the strip charts. The one in the plane is 3-3/8 inch. Overall the iPhone is 5 inches by 2-3/4 inches, so it should fit into the panel space without covering the Airspeed indicator or the Altimeter.
So it might look something like this:
View attachment 53619
Solution does not comply with far 91.213

As long as you remain VFR and have no expectation of haze, distant cloud obscuring the horizon or false horizons from clouds, and can guarantee it - then maybe you don't need an AI.

Just seems like creating a link in an accident chain. Go spend the money and OH or replace it- its not like it requires much in the way of re-certification to install

As long as you remain VFR and have no expectation of haze, distant cloud obscuring the horizon or false horizons from clouds, and can guarantee it - then maybe you don't need an AI.

Just seems like creating a link in an accident chain. Go spend the money and OH or replace it- its not like it requires much in the way of re-certification to install
My current flying is day VFR local flights. I don't fly associated with work, I don't commute from Kansas to Tennessee anymore. I will nurse this panel along to a major change, probably this fall.

My current flying is day VFR local flights. I don't fly associated with work, I don't commute from Kansas to Tennessee anymore. I will nurse this panel along to a major change, probably this fall.

Keep in mind that due to ADS-B many shops are already booked into late summer / early fall. Probably have to get on their schedule now, or you'll be nursing it well into winter. Just a thought.

Just curious...

...has anyone experimented to see what happens to the phone's attitude display in an extended, coordinated turn?
Just curious...

...do you think the stratus ADHRS is any less reliable than any other uncertified ADHRS?

Dude. Just get your AI fixed. Or go for the G5 or a Dynon D10A. It's an airplane, not some POS 73 Bonneville.

I had the same dilemma last month. I put in a G5. No regrets.

Not a clue.
I did a little digging awhile back and it seemed to me that the ADHRS boards are a commodity item. I might be a bit optimistic about quality but the units that were proclaimed to be "aviation grade" were priced low enough that they could be included in the stratus. I think that particular vendor was targeting the drone market so quality seemed to be the big unknown to me.

Back