Attention: BOATERS

Find out how much gasoline that boat uses before you buy it. Lots of boats are for sale because fuel has gotten so high. Boats typically run at very high percentages of power, and so burn many more gallons per hour than the same engine would in an automobile. I once put a Chev 283 in a small boat, straight-shaft setup, and it used a gallon per mile at full throttle (42 mph). The fuel pump couldn't keep up and it would cut out after a minute or two at WOT. At 2/3 throttle it cruised almost as fast and I got twice the mileage:)

Dan

I've since "visited" another vessel, a CELEBRITY 200 Cuddy Cabin, 1986, which had just returned home from a day cruise. 200hp Ford 4 cylinder inboard, fresh water cooling, Mercruiser Alpha 1 outdrive. Fully reupholstered/carpeted last winter, full cover canvas, all hardware stainless steel, stainless steel propeller, teak swim platform, Vhf radio, anchor, galvanized trailer -- $4700 OBO. The owner has a 2002, larger boat sitting further in the driveway. "Don't need two boats," he chuckled. Perhaps I need to learn when he'll next put her in the water and take me for a cruise.

Attachments

• Northbound_1.jpg
    Northbound_1.jpg
    258.9 KB · Views: 14
  • Northbound_2.jpg
    Northbound_2.jpg
    650 KB · Views: 15
  • Northbound_3.jpg
    Northbound_3.jpg
    565.2 KB · Views: 13
  • Northbound_4.jpg
    Northbound_4.jpg
    562.1 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
I don't think for made a 200 HP 4 cylinder, it is most likely a 120-140 HP. If it does have a 4 cylinder, I would take it out with the load you most likely will be carrying and see if it performs to your liking. That is a lot of boat for a 4 cylinder.

I don't think for made a 200 HP 4 cylinder, it is most likely a 120-140 HP. If it does have a 4 cylinder, I would take it out with the load you most likely will be carrying and see if it performs to your liking. That is a lot of boat for a 4 cylinder.

You get the brass ring. It's a MERC Cruiser. What do I know???????? Ford/Mercury -- same thing???(apparently not). My previous experience with a boat engine was a Universal Atomic(OSHKOSH) 11hp diesel in my 28' sloop.

Anyway, I'm going for a cruise in the vessel at 3:00 today. Time will tell.

HR

You get the brass ring. It's a MERC Cruiser. What do I know???????? Ford/Mercury -- same thing???(apparently not). My previous experience with a boat engine was a Universal Atomic(OSHKOSH) 11hp diesel in my 28' sloop.

HR
Funny... I have a Universal Atomic 4 in my Pearson 28.

Sorry to distract from the topic at hand... Just coincidental, especially given that I just replaced the carburetor on it. :)

Pearsons are great boats. I rented one and sailed the Chesapeake on it once. Really liked it and it was fast.

Pearsons are great boats. I rented one and sailed the Chesapeake on it once. Really liked it and it was fast.
Yeah, I'm very happy in just about every way (previous owners' lackadaisical winterizing regime notwithstanding). Stoutly built, too.

HR

My 19' Invader had the Mercruiser in it, with a little black Chevy engine driving it. Seems like it was a 6 cylinder, but I sold the boat in '91 and can't remember for sure. 120 hp and ran like a scalded dog. Heavy boat, too.

Last edited:
You get the brass ring. It's a MERC Cruiser. What do I know???????? Ford/Mercury -- same thing???(apparently not).
Nope, Merc as in Mercury Outboards, not Mercury as in FoMoCo. They use (always? usually? sometimes?) Chevy blocks.
We would like a Pirep.... er, florep please!

-Skip

Nope, Merc as in Mercury Outboards, not Mercury as in FoMoCo. They use (always? usually? sometimes?) Chevy blocks.

We would like a Pirep.... er, florep please!

-Skip

The cruise on Lake Auburn was very pleasant. The 190 hp 4 cylinder Mercruiser w/Alpha 1 outdrive ran smoothly. The boat turns on a dime; we had her up to the 40mph range without being full throttle. If you recall the specs. from the top of the post the asking price is $4700.00. After the demonstration I offered
$4200, pending my finding a place to put her. He'll take the $4200.00.

Robinhood Marine Center is 2sm from my house -- it's my best bet. Winter storage might be about $1100, includes pulling and then Spring launch.
I can foresee their pulling and winterizing; but I have a couple contacts who said either can tow her to my house. I need to measure the old Bay Point Fire Station which is on my property. Open front door. If it's at least 8' wide(maximum width of anything on the highway) the boat and trailer could be backed into the "station." I need to check the depth of the building. The vessel and trailer measure 25' from tongue to aft of swim platform. I think the "station"'s door height is sufficient to back the package part way in, pending height of the Bimini cover(whose framing could probably be removed if necessary). So, if I stored at home, $avings!.
I'll post photos in this post as soon as I download them.

HR

Attachments

• Northbound 073008_1.jpg
    Northbound 073008_1.jpg
    701.6 KB · Views: 15
  • Northbound 073008_3.jpg
    Northbound 073008_3.jpg
    620.2 KB · Views: 12
  • Northbound 073008_4.jpg
    Northbound 073008_4.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 14
  • Northbound Engine 073.jpg