Attempted Atlanta to Los Angeles, but the Yankee only made it to Phoenix

The cowling design determines whether the spinner is part of the cooling arrangement or not. Earlier Cessna 150s did not require the spinner but if it was removed the whole thing had to come off, backplate and all. Later 150s required the spinner to be there to be airworthy. The W&B equipment list is the legal document here. The TCDS won't mention it.

The cowling design determines whether the spinner is part of the cooling arrangement or not. Earlier Cessna 150s did not require the spinner but if it was removed the whole thing had to come off, backplate and all. Later 150s required the spinner to be there to be airworthy. The W&B equipment list is the legal document here. The TCDS won't mention it.

It depends on the aircraft. The tcds for the pa28 lists which models can be operated with the spinner removed.

I would ay the reason it’s not in the 150 tcds is that the first models certified did not have a spinner, just the scull cap.

Checked on your baby today while I was having some maintenance done at BXK. All looks well. Let us know if we can help.

Thanks,

Seeing a picture of her made me smile.

I have ordered the Piper bulkheads, but they are back ordered until the 26th. I'm still working on the spinner.

I am hoping that I can fly her home early next month, but I will have to wait and see.

Your tail number is the same MP unit I was with in the AZ Guard. 855th MP Company.....coincidence?

I can’t say, the tail number came with the plane. But I know that the ‘MP’ was the previous owner’s initials.

now that I've seen the pic, I really could put it in the back, I believe! haha.

I own and fly the plane, and I am still surprised how small it looks when parked next to a 172 or 150.

I had a common problem at my tie down at KHMP, where if pulled up far enough to cover the cross stripe with my wings (looking from the cockpit), then I would have to push it back because my tail tie strap would not reach.

I can’t say, the tail number came with the plane. But I know that the ‘MP’ was the previous owner’s initials.

He reserved N855MP 05-22-2012 and registered the plane with that number on 06-21-2012. It used be N39073. @Rcmutz 's comment about removing the wings to move it has happened to your plane before.

Occurrence Date 2005-04-17 Aircraft Make AMRGEN
Aircraft Model AA1C Damage
Document Last Modified 2012-08-08
Narrative (-23) PILOT STATES THAT HE DEPARTED ROOSTERVILLE AIRPORT (0N0), LIBERTY, MISSOURI, FOR A LOCAL "PLEASURE FLIGHT". WHILE IN CRUISE FLIGHT, AT ABOUT 2100 FEET MSL, THE ENGINE DEVELOPED A PROBLEM WHICH RESULTED IN A CONTINUAL DECREASE IN ENGINE RPM AND POWER. AN EMERGENCY LANDING WAS ACCOMPLISHED IN A PASTURE WITH NO DAMAGE TO THE AIRCRAFT, OR INJURY TO THE PILOT. THE WINGS OF THE AIRCRAFT WERE REMOVED AND THE AIRCRAFT WAS TRANSPORTED BACK TO 0N0. MAINTENANCE FOUND THAT THE #3 CYLINDER EXHAUST VALVE HAD BROKEN, CAUSING IMPACT DAMAGE TO THE PISTON HEAD AND CYLINDER DOME, EVENTUALLY BREAKING OFF A PORTION OF THE INTAKE VALVE HEAD, PRIOR TO DEPARTING THE CYLINDER. INCIDENT ^PRIVACY DATA ^ IS CLOSED WITH THIS REPORT.

He reserved N855MP 05-22-2012 and registered the plane with that number on 06-21-2012. It used be N39073. @Rcmutz 's comment about removing the wings to move it has happened to your plane before.

Occurrence Date 2005-04-17 Aircraft Make AMRGEN
Aircraft Model AA1C Damage
Document Last Modified 2012-08-08
Narrative (-23) PILOT STATES THAT HE DEPARTED ROOSTERVILLE AIRPORT (0N0), LIBERTY, MISSOURI, FOR A LOCAL "PLEASURE FLIGHT". WHILE IN CRUISE FLIGHT, AT ABOUT 2100 FEET MSL, THE ENGINE DEVELOPED A PROBLEM WHICH RESULTED IN A CONTINUAL DECREASE IN ENGINE RPM AND POWER. AN EMERGENCY LANDING WAS ACCOMPLISHED IN A PASTURE WITH NO DAMAGE TO THE AIRCRAFT, OR INJURY TO THE PILOT. THE WINGS OF THE AIRCRAFT WERE REMOVED AND THE AIRCRAFT WAS TRANSPORTED BACK TO 0N0. MAINTENANCE FOUND THAT THE #3 CYLINDER EXHAUST VALVE HAD BROKEN, CAUSING IMPACT DAMAGE TO THE PISTON HEAD AND CYLINDER DOME, EVENTUALLY BREAKING OFF A PORTION OF THE INTAKE VALVE HEAD, PRIOR TO DEPARTING THE CYLINDER. INCIDENT ^PRIVACY DATA ^ IS CLOSED WITH THIS REPORT.

That also lines up with the timing of the O-320 STC.

The STC may (or may not) have a requirement for the spinner, too.

I was told when I purchased the plane that it had been landed in a field due to engine failure right before the O-320 was installed.

My plane is finally fixed. There were some issues getting parts, but it's ready to fly again as soon as I can go pick it up.

Cool. Speaking of cool, leave early and beware of winds more than about 25 knots.

What was the resolution on the parts question? Something you can avoid in the future by going a more "standards part" route? That procurement for something as simple as a
FP propeller spinner sounded like a nightmare. The point of owning something so simple to me would be to precisely avoid these kinds of protracted AOG scenarios.

At any rate, glad to hear you're back in the air. Cheers!

What was the resolution on the parts question? Something you can avoid in the future by going a more "standards part" route? That procurement for something as simple as a
FP propeller spinner sounded like a nightmare. The point of owning something so simple to me would be to precisely avoid these kinds of protracted AOG scenarios.

It was me misunderstanding the STC. I thought I was limited to the Piper produced metal parts, and in a moment of infinite wisdom, I didn't ask. When I finally did ask, Chad (the A&P at BXK) pointed out one made by a different manufacturer (but as an interchangeable part) that I had dismissed as not an option. It really came down to me not understanding the details of certified parts, and not being smart enough to realize that I did not understand.

It was me misunderstanding the STC. I thought I was limited to the Piper produced metal parts, and in a moment of infinite wisdom, I didn't ask. When I finally did ask, Chad (the A&P at BXK) pointed out one made by a different manufacturer (but as an interchangeable part) that I had dismissed as not an option. It really came down to me not understanding the details of certified parts, and not being smart enough to realize that I did not understand.
Hate it when that happens. Good luck recovering your airplane, looks like a lot of fun.

That's the risk of owning an airplane whose manufacturer is long dead, or who isn't making those parts anymore. Parts can be scarce or nonexistent. In this case there was an option that he overlooked, but that isn't always the case, and sometimes it's an agonizing process to get permission to install something that is available. STCs aren't available for everything. And this will only get worse as the fleet ages.
Our Canadian Owner-Maintenance category was designed to alleviate this sort of thing. It would be simple to get a spinner from Univair and install it.

That's the risk of owning an airplane whose manufacturer is long dead, or who isn't making those parts anymore. Parts can be scarce or nonexistent. In this case there was an option that he overlooked, but that isn't always the case, and sometimes it's an agonizing process to get permission to install something that is available. STCs aren't available for everything. And this will only get worse as the fleet ages.
Our Canadian Owner-Maintenance category was designed to alleviate this sort of thing. It would be simple to get a spinner from Univair and install it.

Indeed. From your mouth to god's ear....

Rumor has it, MOSAIC has provisions to alleviate this issue, but for now I am just trying to do what I can to keep it flying.

The biggest mistake I made in airplane shopping was not flying a Yankee I could not buy before I flew my Yankee. I fell in love with it, and that left me at a bit of a disadvantage from a negotiation and objectivity standpoint.

Thanks to the assistance of @Pilawt my plane is in California!

But it did not make it home. Last Saturday, Jeff picked me up at Victorville and gave me a ride to Buckeye, then after a comedy of errors, I flew toward Apple Valley but diverted to Barstow-Daggett airport because of charging system issues.

During the flight, the system would stop charging (as if the alternator breaker had popped, but it had not), each time if I turned off the alternator switch and turned it back on, the power came back. There was some light rain over Apple Valley (but still VFR), so I decided to land out of concern for electrical issues + water @ 9500ft. My plan now is to find a good local A&P and fly the plane to him on a clear day.

As for the comedy of errors (they were all mine). It started when I arrived at Victorville and discovered that they do not offer tie downs (the plan was to fly out of Victorville, fly the plane back to Victorville and move it to Fox field later), I should have called ahead, but I did not consider that they would not be available. Then, after a smooth flight, we land in Buckeye only for me to realize that I forgot my keys. After speaking to Chad (the A&P with Performance Air, recommended if you need someone near Phoenix), he suggested that he did not have a solution because his "extra keys" had been packed since his shop is moving, so I was going to ride with Jeff to Goodyear and rent a car. After I packed my stuff into Jeff's plane, Chad found some keys (and one worked). While all of this happened, a plane landed with engine trouble.

I pulled the Yankee around for fuel and stepped into the FBO for some flight planning. When I did, I met the pilots of the plane with engine trouble. They were mechanics transporting a part for a State of California Firefighting Twin Commander. Since they were stuck, I offered to help. With full fuel I could not bring one of them with me, but I offered to bring the part. So they gave it to my and I started flying, after the first charging system loss and reset, I started to get concerned about the moist air south of the Turtle MOA, since it was the weekend (and Turtle was not activated by NOTAM), I cut across it to try to approach Apple Valley to the north (since there was no moisture on ADSB to the North). I really showed my lack of mountain experience, even at 10,500ft, the turbulence was throwing my little plane around and seriously slowed me down. By the time I crossed, Radar was showing thin returns north of APV, so I landed at DAG.

Then I discovered that Barstow-Daggett is a trap. No Uber/Lift, 3 "taxi companies" that don't answer the phone. I was considering renting a U-haul to drive to my car in Victorville. Fortunately, the mechanic I was trying to help was able to help me. One of his coworkers was able to drive out to me, pick up the part and give me a ride to my car in Victorville.

It was an interesting day, a lot of things went wrong, but I have trouble calling it a bad day when I finally get to fly for the first time in 2 months.

I enjoyed the flight with you, Mark. Glad it worked out.

I did a lot of flying in the high desert area of SoCal in past years, but had never before landed at VCV. It was still George AFB when I lived in SoCal. Runway 17 at VCV is now the longest runway I've ever used, at 15,050' x 150'. Tower cleared me for a long landing, to exit at taxiway D. It felt like I was flying for ten minutes over the runway at 50' AGL with flaps 20° and 65 KIAS. I passed the 8000'-remaining marker then decided to start thinking about putting away my sandwich and getting ready to land. :) Along the way I passed Qantas' stored fleet of A380s parked next to the runway. I probably rode on one of them when my wife and I vacationed in Australia a couple of years ago.

I go to Barstow Dagget all the time for work and I used to take my Grumman there before I sold it. Take a look at the red Grumman under the cover, he has the O-320 and extra fuel tanks.

if you need a lift back let me know, I can drop you off

I go to Barstow Dagget all the time for work and I used to take my Grumman there before I sold it. Take a look at the red Grumman under the cover, he has the O-320 and extra fuel tanks.

if you need a lift back let me know, I can drop you off

Is there a good Grumman A&P at KDAG?

Just landed at KDAG. I can see your plane!

Attachments

• 349F4988-1011-4070-A230-079C56ACB655.jpeg
    349F4988-1011-4070-A230-079C56ACB655.jpeg
    78.1 KB · Views: 32
  • 44B9090F-7178-4B17-81BA-E5AF9251BFF7.jpeg
    44B9090F-7178-4B17-81BA-E5AF9251BFF7.jpeg
    79.7 KB · Views: 31
Back