Attach Video????

M.E.

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Marc
I took a short video this weekend and made my first attempt at creating a 3 minute production with audio and posting it to this board. 2.2MB. When I tried to attach it, the message said nothing can be attached over 700K (or something like that).

Question: Is mine too long, wrong format (tried multiple), or shouldn't I be attaching videos? I've seen others, so am trying to figure out what I am doing wrong.

M.E.

Now HERE is something I'd pay extra for. I'd love to be able to post some of the videos Cathy shoots of my landings here. She took some of me doing short field practice in a Skyhawk that I thought were mildly interesting a couple weeks ago, and Monday she took one of my landing when we got back from Charleston that I thought was a fairly decent crosswind landing. But that last sucker is 13 Meg for 1 minute of video... that could sure add up depending on how many others wanted to do that!

We allow WMA and MOV files that are 1MB or less in size. Not a lot, I know, but on our current hosting plan, we need to regulate how much bandwidth and space is tied up.

Someday in the future we'll be able to allow larger uploads, but not right now.

You can, however, upload the file to your own web page (assuming you have one) and put a link to it here.

If you don't have your own web page, you might also see if someone else can host it for you.

Joe Williams said:
Now HERE is something I'd pay extra for. I'd love to be able to post some of the videos Cathy shoots of my landings here.
When we move to an upgraded hosting option, we'll be allowing much larger uploads. (Although there are technical limits to how large a file uploaded over http can be...)

When that happens, it will be available to everyone - not just contributors.

Right now our file space is limited to 2 GB total, and we've set a hard limit on attachment file space at 1GB. The forum itself eats up about 70 MB right now but we also keep 5 days worth of backups which likewise, eat up about another 400MB.

When we upgrade, our minimum allocation of space will be more on the order of 10GB and that will give us much more room to breathe.

M.E. said:
I took a short video this weekend and made my first attempt at creating a 3 minute production with audio and posting it to this board. 2.2MB. When I tried to attach it, the message said nothing can be attached over 700K (or something like that).

Question: Is mine too long, wrong format (tried multiple), or shouldn't I be attaching videos? I've seen others, so am trying to figure out what I am doing wrong.

M.E.

The management at POA will have to help there you but, if you like Av videos, you might enjoy my instant cockpit streaming videos Av site: MOUNTAINFLYINGVIDEOS.com plus all the still PIX.

Our Super Nerds are upgrading our site now (from its 18 months ago inception) and say the technology has improved alot.

Dave Krall CFII, pres. Orion Air Ground Videos LLC

Joe Williams said:
Now HERE is something I'd pay extra for. I'd love to be able to post some of the videos Cathy shoots of my landings here. She took some of me doing short field practice in a Skyhawk that I thought were mildly interesting a couple weeks ago, and Monday she took one of my landing when we got back from Charleston that I thought was a fairly decent crosswind landing. But that last sucker is 13 Meg for 1 minute of video... that could sure add up depending on how many others wanted to do that!

Chuck: Joe just offered to pay extra for this feature. I bet he would pay 2 or 3 times what he is paying POA now. Woo Hoo now you've got the bucks to upgrade the band width. Seriously youre doing a great job with the board

Greebo said:
That reminds me, Dave - did you ever add your site to our Links Database?

Ideally if you guys want to put a new link listing under online videos or something like that. Otherwise I guess it should go under information ?

Dave Krall CFII said:
Ideally if you guys want to put a new link listing under online videos or something like that. Otherwise I guess it should go under information ?
Information, Miscellaneous, or - if your videos are intended to be educational, it could go under the training category.

I just don't envision there being enough aviation related Audio/Video sites out there to justfy an Audio/Video category in the links db...

I could be wrong of course...

Chuck, What about turning on the allow HTML feature, so users can make an IFrame with their video in it. (off their own server).

Michael said:
Chuck, What about turning on the allow HTML feature, so users can make an IFrame with their video in it. (off their own server).
Unfortunately, the potential for exploiting HTML in forum posting is extremely high. As a result, it is highly unlikely that we will ever enable straight HTML posting in a forum that can be posted to by the general public. (We can only turn it on/off by forum, not by user group, unfortunately.)

Compounding that - IFRAMES are not generally WWW/ANSI recognized - they're an IE (and firefox?) thing. They're also not easy to create properly even for skilled web people. While I can create new bbcode tags to open up more features (bbcodes are the vBulletin wrappers around html after all), I can't justify doing it for tags that aren't universally supported.

Sorry. :(

M.E. said:

M.E.

Marc,

Email the video to me at the e-mail address in my profile. I'll stick it on a server somewhere and send you the link.

Chip

Beleive it or not, I finally found a web site, where I could post this thing. It's on my youth basketball team site. People are going to be wondering what I was thinking when I put this video out.

Now for the disclaimer. The quality on my PC was a lot better than what it looks like on the web.

It's actually pretty boring (3:49), but as my first attempt, it gives me plenty of room for growth. And for anyone that complains about the center line tracking on the touch and go at KENW, let's just say I wasn't PIC. Although I wasn't too steady with the camera either. Anyway, let me know if there are things I can do to improve the quality of the video (besides throwing it away).

http://eteamz.active.com/vhcougarsbball/videos/KPWKtoKENW.wmv

M.E.

Looks like I got all the data in to start the link... under COOL PLACES TO FLY. Had to decide on one category.
Thanks Again.

Greebo said:
That reminds me, Dave - did you ever add your site to our Links Database?

Back