ATT is going to cancel me!

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
Some ID removed but this is the message received this am:
First experience with this. What kind of result could a response to these guys have?
They could read my email? Harvest stuff?

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 89000245
Date: Sun, 04 Oct 2009 01:49:12 -0700
From: Webmaster sbcglobal <sbcglobal@ mail2webmaster.com>
Reply-To: sbcglobal1@ mail2webmaster.com
To: undisclosed-recipients:;

Dear AT&T Account User,

We have noticed an unauthorized attempt to change your sbcglobal.net
account?s password from a foreign IP. This was going to result to your
inability to access your account due to the password change.
We are about to terminate your sbcglobal.net (AT&T) account for
security reason see our privacy policy.
If you know you are the authorized owner of this account, kindly reply
by providing your original
Email address: (*******)
Username: (*******)
Password: (*******)
The provision of the above information will prove that you are the
owner of this account and we will protect your ID and password from
unauthorized access.
Failure to do this will violate AT&T?s email terms & conditions. AT&T
is the soul owner of sbcglobal.net.
>From AT&T web team.
©2009 AT&T Intellectual Property. All rights reserved.
AT&T and the AT&T logo are trademarks of AT&T Intellectual Property
and/or AT&T affiliated companies.
"Warning:
The information contained in this email and any attached files is
confidential to AT&T. If you are not the intended recipient, any use,
disclosure or copying of this email or any attachments is expressly
prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please notify
us immediately. VIRUS: Every care has been taken to ensure this email
and its attachments are virus free, however, any loss or damage
incurred in using this email is not the sender's responsibility. It
is your responsibility to ensure virus checks are completed before
installing any data sent in this email to your computer."

I'd go to an AT&T store and ask about it. Or call AT&T directly. Don't reply to the e-mail since AT&T should already know your e-mail address and user name- the request for this information is ringing alarm bells to me. Looks like a phishing scam to me.

It is a Fishing attack, do not respond at all!

Besides asking for sensitive information online (which legitimate companies never do in this manner), the amateurishly awkward grammar gives it away as phony. And -- "AT&T is the soul owner of sbcglobal.net"??? :sosp:

Dave:

Never ever credit any email which asks that you provide any such information (username, password, etc.); it will always be fake. Legitimate entities will advise you to contact them by other means (where YOU initiate the contact).

Just for fun, you could look for the sender's IP in the "full header" to figure out what country, & maybe city it's really from. I'm betting on China or Russia.

Reported, thanks.
Still have to wonder how they could gain from perusing the email... I guess they set a sensor to harvest credit card numbers etc?

Reported, thanks.
Still have to wonder how they could gain from perusing the email... I guess they set a sensor to harvest credit card numbers etc?
Nearly every website you use will have a "Forgot My Password" feature. All they have to do is look through your e-mail -- perhaps they'll see some emails from an online merchant or bank. Now they just go to their website -- click "Forgot My Password" -- and put your e-mail address in.

Someone having access to your e-mail can basically have access to nearly every website you have an account with. Some websites will have additional "security questions" to prevent this, but most of them will not.

that would explain it, thanks Jesse.

Hey I reported it and they sent this back. How do I get the full header and IP address? isnt that a bunch of numbers and decimals/periods?
Netscape (yeah, I know)
For any abuse report involving e-mail, it is essential that the
report include the full original expanded headers containing the
source IP address and time stamp, along with the complete unedited
subject line and message. A report cannot be investigated without
this information.

Nearly every website you use will have a "Forgot My Password" feature. All they have to do is look through your e-mail -- perhaps they'll see some emails from an online merchant or bank. Now they just go to their website -- click "Forgot My Password" -- and put your e-mail address in.

Someone having access to your e-mail can basically have access to nearly every website you have an account with. Some websites will have additional "security questions" to prevent this, but most of them will not.

Or it will have a link that takes you to a page that looks like the ATT account login page and ask you to login. It will login in no matter what username and password you use. However you can be assured it will remember the username and password so they can log into your account using then information you entered. Usually after allowing you to login to what appears to be your account it will ask you to verify information for your account which will include your Credit/bank account numbers. Of course the whole thing has nothing to do with ATT but is simply an attempt to get Login and credit/bank account information from you.

Like others said don't worry about emails like this until your service is shut off.

Brian

Or it will have a link that takes you to a page that looks like the ATT account login page and ask you to login. It will login in no matter what username and password you use. However you can be assured it will remember the username and password so they can log into your account using then information you entered. Usually after allowing you to login to what appears to be your account it will ask you to verify information for your account which will include your Credit/bank account numbers. Of course the whole thing has nothing to do with ATT but is simply an attempt to get Login and credit/bank account information from you.

Like others said don't worry about emails like this until your service is shut off.

Brian
Yeah. In this case it wasn't asking Dave to click on anything. It was simply asking for him to reply with his username and password. He was curious what sort of damage one could do with access to his e-mail account.

Hey I reported it and they sent this back. How do I get the full header and IP address? isnt that a bunch of numbers and decimals/periods?
Netscape (yeah, I know)
this information.
That depends on your email program. What are you using?

I recently got an email from someone I know saying she was stranded in the UK and could I send her $3500 to get home.

Her email account had been compromised, and this message was sent to everyone in her address book.

I replied that I had recently won a UK lottery, and said she could collect my winnings while she was there and use whatever she needed.

It is a Fishing attack, do not respond at all!

+1

I recently got an email from someone I know saying she was stranded in the UK and could I send her $3500 to get home.

Her email account had been compromised, and this message was sent to everyone in her address book.

I replied that I had recently won a UK lottery, and said she could collect my winnings while she was there and use whatever she needed.

I know someone who was on their way to send a money order when the got a panic call from the victim instructing him to NOT send the money. That is why this stuff perpetuates - some folks fall for it.

Personally, I'd play with them.

Send them some bunk information, but not what they're requesting, and see how they respond. Every minute you're taking away from them is a minute they are failing to get someone else's information.

Personally, I'd play with them.

Send them some bunk information, but not what they're requesting, and see how they respond. Every minute you're taking away from them is a minute they are failing to get someone else's information.

It can be fun to do this but IMO, it is better to just stay off of their radar.

Netscape (yeah, I know)
this information.

Searched Google for Netscape show email headers

First link on the page shows how to do it in various email clients. If you are using Netscape Messenger:

Netscape Messenger To read the email header in Netscape Messenger (the email reader supplied with Netscape communicator) press Ctrl-U. A new window will open with the full message including the complete header. To copy this to a email message press Ctrl-A to highlight the entire message then Ctrl-C to copy it. Open the email message you want to send. Using the mouse, place the cursor in the body of the message, select edit / paste as quoted, from the menu bar.

Back