Atrial Septal Defect?

Ronjon

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
RonJon
In 1988, when I was 7yo I had an atrial septal defect repaired via open heart surgery. I have never had any adverse effects, (aside from pre-hypertension blood pressure levels that are likely hereditary and are currently controlled with a light dose of Lisinopril). Will this keep me from obtaining my 3rd class medical? Will I need an explanation from a cardiologist or possibly my original surgeon from 25 years ago?

Also, if I have been prescribed anti-anxiety meds for multiple brief periods over the course of the last decade, do I need to have the prescribing doctor make an explanation for each event and describe it as situational. Or will 90 medication free days with note from my Primary Dr. suffice.

The last thing I want to do is try to get my PPL, and then not even be able to get my SPL because of a denied medical.

Thanks-

FAA is very hard on anxitey meds and will want a 4 axis eval from a psychiatrist for than one including a detailed fulllife history. I'd get it FIRST and then only act on a medical if favorable. If you really really wnat to protect the LSA option I'd use one of the FAA credentialled forensic psychiatrists.

The price will make your eyes water but lsoing the privlege is just that. Loss. The word of these guys is pretty much gold in teh eys of the agency. They ARE thorough.

All the ASD needs is the op note, a current bubble echo, and a letter from the cardiologist.

Thanks for the quick reply Dr. Bruce, you are an incredibly valuable asset to the general aviation community.

-Incoming Rant-
IMHO It seems crazy how easy it is to get a prescription for SSRi's, yet how incredibly difficult they are to clear in the eyes of the FAA. I wish I had known.

Well my dreams are crushed for now, I guess I'll hold out for the possibility of a 4th class medical?

Thanks again,

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back