ATP Weekend course

Gucci Pilot

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Gucci Pilot
Anyone have any good recommendations on where to go to do the ATP in a weekend? Prefer east coast area. Written is done.

Last edited:
If you're talking about the written, probably not gonna happen anymore. The new regs require 30 hours of ground, which is really difficult in a weekend, even a 3 day weekend.

I did ATP for the written and check ride. Fire hose one day for the written, but I guess that is out now. 4 training flights in two days, one quick flight, then the checkride and it was all over in 4 days. Totally spent and exhausted. This was 11 years ago.

Link If allowed: www.ATPFlightSchool.com

If you're talking about the written, probably not gonna happen anymore. The new regs require 30 hours of ground, which is really difficult in a weekend, even a 3 day weekend.

Written is done.

The new written only applies to the ATP Multi. You should be able to do the Single the same way as before.

Why would anyone want an ATP single?

So, just to collect ratings then?

What operations require an ATP single? Do airlines fly PC-12s or Caravans on 121 flights?

There are several 135s that require an ATP (for insurance purposes maybe?) to fly caravans and PC12s

There are several 135s that require an ATP (for insurance purposes maybe?) to fly caravans and PC12s

So, like adding a multi/single commercial, I'm assuming you could do the ride in a multi, then jump in a single (non-complex, even) and do another approach to have both on your ATP? Has anyone actually done this?

So, like adding a multi/single commercial, I'm assuming you could do the ride in a multi, then jump in a single (non-complex, even) and do another approach to have both on your ATP? Has anyone actually done this?

I believe it is more than one approach, but yes, you could do it in a fixed gear airplane.

So, just to collect ratings then?

What operations require an ATP single? Do airlines fly PC-12s or Caravans on 121 flights?

Yup

I'd say any scheduled PC12 or C208 service would still be a scheduled pt135 op, as the single engine planes are far from transport category.

The single engine ATP is kinda useless, and can't think of ever seeing a single engine ATP requirement on a job posting.

The ATP (full multi ATP) however, is a unofficial requirement for most any fixed wing job that pays well, even non 121 or single engine jobs.

I'm curious. For you plane owners with an ATP(or a commercial) how much do you save on insurance annually, if anything? How much do you save having an instrument rating?

I'm curious. For you plane owners with an ATP(or a commercial) how much do you save on insurance annually, if anything? How much do you save having an instrument rating?

It's been a while since my IFR ticket, but that dropped the rates a little, my ATP didn't change jack though :dunno: that was with AVEMCO

Yup

I'd say any scheduled PC12 or C208 service would still be a scheduled pt135 op, as the single engine planes are far from transport category.

The single engine ATP is kinda useless, and can't think of ever seeing a single engine ATP requirement on a job posting.

Sure its not required, but you can still have it. And I've seen it before.

And the fact of the matter is, all the non-working pilots will only be able to get a ATP-SEL/SES now, unless they spend a boat load of money to get the multi rating.

Yup

The ATP (full multi ATP) however, is a unofficial requirement for most any fixed wing job that pays well, even non 121 or single engine jobs.

I'm thinking we might see this start to change though due to the new requirements. The supply of folks who get the ATP on their own dime is going to drop drastically.

I'm thinking we might see this start to change though due to the new requirements. The supply of folks who get the ATP on their own dime is going to drop drastically.
I agree. Pretty soon it will be like a type rating which most people don't pay for themselves.

Actually an ATP is officially required for:
  • scheduled 135 flights in a multi with 9 or less seats
  • on-demand 135 flights in a multi with 10 or more seats
  • any 135 jet operation
  • part 91K(fractional ownership) operations of multi jets

Actually an ATP is officially required for:
  • scheduled 135 flights in a multi with 9 or less seats
  • on-demand 135 flights in a multi with 10 or more seats
  • any 135 jet operation
  • part 91K(fractional ownership) operations of multi jets

And most jobs that pay over 50k a year.

I don't leagaly need one for my job per the Feds, but no one in my position there is just a CPL.

It's like a degree, doesn't mean your better for the job, but left the choice between two equal applicants, applicant A with a degree and applicant B without the degree, A always gets it.

And most jobs that pay over 50k a year.

I don't leagaly need one for my job per the Feds, but no one in my position there is just a CPL.

It's like a degree, doesn't mean your better for the job, but left the choice between two equal applicants, applicant A with a degree and applicant B without the degree, A always gets it.

Very true

There's a Pilatus 135 operator nearby that gives newhires a single engine ATP as part of their initial training. Not sure if it helps with their insurance, ARG/US rating, or whatever.

Have you tried the multi school in Groton conn?

There's a Pilatus 135 operator nearby that gives newhires a single engine ATP as part of their initial training. Not sure if it helps with their insurance, ARG/US rating, or whatever.

Doubt they'll be doing that anymore.

Turbine Otter on scheduled service.

And being a non-transport category plane why wouldn't that just be sched 135? I don't think the otter had that many seats does it?

I have a feeling that these small operators requiring a ME ATP are going to have to give up that requirement or open their wallets for more training, higher pay, or both.

The is no shortage of ATPs right now

The is no shortage of ATPs right now

Right, not now, but between the new ATP sim training greatly increasing the price and this supposed "pilot shortage" I think we will see a drop in numbers.

The jobs on the low end of the totem pole that are typically the first jobs after pilots get their ATP will start hurting for ATPs eventually.

Doubt they'll be doing that anymore.

And being a non-transport category plane why wouldn't that just be sched 135? I don't think the otter had that many seats does it?

Pretty sure the Otter does 21.

Why, the rules only apply to a multi engine ATP

And even then, I'm not sure if that Pilatus operator does their training in-house, or sends their guys off to a place like FSI. At a big training center, piggybacking an ATP onto an initial is pretty trivial - at least that was the case a few years back.

Back