Atlanta to Tucson next week!

R

RobertGerace

Next week I'll be flying from Atlanta to Tucson, and wanted to post for any suggestions about routes and altitudes. It appears that KTUS is right around the corner from where I want to be...so that's where I'll land unless I learn I shouldn't (as I did with LGA :no: )

Also, at about 200 knots, what is within a couple of hours that's worth seeing?

Also, is there any general advice for somebody who's mountain experience is mostly limited to the east coast?

Thanks!

RobertGerace said:
Next week I'll be flying from Atlanta to Tucson, and wanted to post for any suggestions about routes and altitudes. It appears that KTUS is right around the corner from where I want to be...so that's where I'll land unless I learn I shouldn't (as I did with LGA :no: )

Also, is there any general advice for somebody who's mountain experience is mostly limited to the east coast?

Thanks!

Canyon Bar 10, north side of the Grand Canyon. Study carefully, go in light. You CAN land and get it stopped on the paved portion. No auto required

Monument Valley, on the AZ-UT border. This is where the John Ford production Co. made all the John Wayne Westerns. Wile Coyote was born here. Eat lunch at Goulding's lodge across the road. Don't leave the a/c unattended for long. Aircraft seats are very comfortable in Hogans. No Auto required.

Meteor Crater. About 30 E of Flagstaff. Auto required.

The Cliff dwellings just east of Flagstaff (Walnut Creek CAnyon). Auto required.

L'Auberge de Sedona. The ultimate $50 lunch. Scenic Oak Creek Canyon (car required). It's as close to heaven on earth as there is.

Enjoy!

Bob:

I fly right over Tucson on the way to San Diego from Dallas several times a year. From the Dallas area west, just file direct to El Paso. I usually stay low since there is normally a head wind. Begin at 8,000. As you approach ELP, you'll have to climb at the MEAs get up to 10 and 11. Get on the airway and head west from there. El Paso and Las Crusis are good stops. ELP has full service, cars to take you to eat, etc. (I use Cutter Aviation) or self serv. Las Crusis has cheaper fuel and a restaurant on field.

There are several MEAs and restricted areas west of ELP which make it difficult to go off airway.

Best,

Dave
A-36TN ADS

that far south you will avoid most of the mountainous terrain. There are a handful of really cool aviation things to see in TUS and enroute a cool private air museum at 5T6 on the other side of El Paso, and at Carlsbad NM the very neat Carlsbad caverns (allow a half day at least). don't hit the aerostat balloons!

I flew from northwest Indiana to TUS a week ago Sunday. I had vicious headwinds the entire trip. I found I could make better time, and have a better ride if I requested a block altitude of 12,000 to 13,000 going out, and 13,000 to 14,000 coming back. This let me sort of ride with the waves instead of fighting to maintain a specific altitude. Going over the high ridges was an experience for this flat-lander. At that time I was on a specific altitude, and just on the lee side of the ridge I had max climb power in, with my ground speed down to 89 knots (I usually flight plan 180 knots) and was able to climb about 100 fpm. Just as I cleared the ridge, it was like I was shot out of a cannon and was going up at 1500 fpm, while trying to get the power back and nose down. That's when I requested the block altitude and started going with the flow, so to speak. I had purchased a pulse oximeter from the source referenced on this site, and was very glad I did. I found I could turn the O2 level way down, use much less oxygen, and still maintain a saturated O2 level of 94 to 97. Be prepared for a slam dunk descent into TUS (compared to what you see out here in the flat land). I was at 12,000, cleared to 9000, then before I got to 11,000, they cleard me to 7000, etc. I ended up with the speed brakes out coming down at 1000 to 1500 fpm. Nothing you can't handle, just be prepared. All in all, it was a great trip, even though the return was delayed while mother nature pelted Tulsa with 2" hail, etc.

Jim

RobertGerace said:

Thanks!

Bob,

The most direct route will take you over the north side of Houston, over/between Austin or San Antonio, El Paso, and over the mountains on in to Tucson. Go as high as you can without getting battered by headwinds. You'll want to stay above 12,000, maybe higher, to avoid too much mountain wave. Watch out for standing lenticular!!! The roughest ride I ever had was westbound over New Mexico (ABQ to Winslow) at about 12,000, and that was showing 25-30 knot headwinds. This is the time of year that winds tend to pick up. ADDS can help you plan.

If you have the time and decide to make a fuel stop around San Antonio, would love to meet up with you.

White Sands & Roswell are a bit north of the route, but an interesting attraction. Santa Fe is a nice town to visit, but a bit north of the route, too.

If you spend the night somewhere, Fredericksburg, Texas (T82) has the Hangar Hotel on-field and a decent avionics shop (Pippen-York). You'll be at the tail end of wildflower season, though.

bill

Last edited:
And to Bruce's list, there is also Petrified Forest.

RobertGerace said:
There's the Pima Air Museum and the boneyard at Davis-Monthan AFB which are only a few miles east of TUS.

Oh, and I forgot Canyon DeChelly. Just pay the Navajo guides, it's a ripoff but they have to live too. Make a deal with Guardian Air service, the only operator on the macadam strip. You want your aircraft in one piece when you get back to it...no? Get it in their hangar.

Thanks to everyone who contributed! This is exactly what I was looking for.

By the way, I had business in Tampa on Thursday so I flew down to Vandenburg. Oh...my...God was it busy. Then I needed to stop in Leesburg and it was even worse.

I got back to Atlanta about 10pm and was number 4 at the closed-tower-LZU.

Sheesh...I'll be glad when s&f is over...

Everskyward said:
There's the Pima Air Museum and the boneyard at Davis-Monthan AFB which are only a few miles east of TUS.

Last time I flew into Tucson, I visited both places .. took me all day and then some. Well worth the visit.

Back