Atlanta during a thunderstorm

Cool view of what actually happens,during convection.

I was doing an Operation Raincheck (appropriately named) at ZDC when there was a line of thunderstorms so the controller I was plugged into was handling some reroutes and when he saw a gap he called and wanted to know if anybody wanted to be a pathfinder through the lessening storm. It was kind of neat watching the controllers juggling things.

Now I know what the guy who came up with Lemmings did in a previous life. Later went on to develop Centipede ;)

That is very cool.

I rarely fly commercially, but did have one arrival into Atlanta diverted - to somewhere in SC, IIRC. Greenville, maybe?

I was actually watching the radar return on my iPhone for the eventual leg into ATL - was a little nervous as we skirted some very intense returns by far less than the recommended 20nm - and got more than a couple attention getting bumps in the process!

was a little nervous as we skirted some very intense returns by far less than the recommended 20nm - and got more than a couple attention getting bumps in the process!

:lol: You can follow recommendations all day long, or you can get things done.

Wow...Atlanta must be bigger than I thought...not one of those airplanes LEFT the airport!

Wow...Atlanta must be bigger than I thought...not one of those airplanes LEFT the airport!

You can check in, but you can't check out? :) I can't believe I never noticed that. :confused:

I'm guessing that either departures were suspended for the duration of the storm, or some type of filter was applied (arrivals only?) for this display.

Or maybe the whole thing was faked by someone with too much time on his hands. :yikes:

I think it's filtered to show ATL arrivals only. You don't see any planes going to other airports in the area, departures, or through flights.

:lol: You can follow recommendations all day long, or you can get things done.

Exactly. If you want to stay 20 miles away from every cell, that's great. It works for pleasure flying. When they start popping and you've got to get the plane there, you find a route and get there.

I think it's filtered to show ATL arrivals only. You don't see any planes going to other airports in the area, departures, or through flights.

Correct. A bud of mine was actually working approach on this day.

As someone who just passed a Private checkride and also just started my IFR training, seeing those holds pop up when the weather wouldn't allow the traffic through was pretty cool!

Back