Atlanta Bus Crash [NA]

K

KennyFlys

I'm sure a few of you heard of the bus crash in Atlanta this morning. It made national headlines pretty fast given how it took place.

I monitor the Jawjuh DOT website throughout the day for traffic conditions. With it, you can get accident data and expected cleanups, traffic speeds and images from about a tenth of the available cameras. It's my single most important resource after the GPS moving map on the same laptop in the car.

I captured a few of those photos to share here. They present a bit more raw image though you will see no bodies. There is quite a bit of information from the web sites below. It was a scene that caught every cop and firefighter off guard when they arrived.

There were fifty-five firefighters on the scene. The number of law enforcement is unknown as the traffic snarl flowed through both Fulton and Cobb Counties. It included local, county and state police as well as DOT enforcement officers. I-75 was shut down from the time of the accident at 5.30AM to 11AM. That's quite a flow of traffic from Northwest Georgia that had to be diverted onto surface streets or the I-285 bypass.

At one point, there was talk the bus driver had a heart attack. Later, it was all but determined he had exited in belief he was still in the main HOV lane. In that section of I-75, the HOV lane continues straight while the adjacent lane splits off to the right and loops around to I-85 North. He continued up the ramp at full speed. As he arrived at the top of the ramp meeting Northside Drive, it appeared he tried to swerve right and make the turn very fast but didn't do so. The momentum of the turn rolled it left and over the short retaining wall then down onto the interstate below. That explained why none of the wall was broken. My explanation isn't great but it makes more sense in one of the video's on 11alive.com.

The signs are very clear if one pays attention. Had this driver read the signs rather than just accept "HOV" cart Blanche, I doubt this would have happen. I think the "attention to detail" aspect has some application to flying. The entire thing is a sad loss which could have been avoided.

http://www.11alive.com/video/player.aspx?aid=68074&bw=

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/11151088/detail.html

In the pictures, you see where it's still on its side then uprighted. Later, it's pulled onto a lowered flatbed trailer. After that, the clean up of all the diesel spilled. Fortunately, it was just diesel.

In others, you see the clean up done but engineers inspecting the bridge and then they put up baracade along the edge. There's a couple shots of I-75 with absolutely no traffic but a couple cop cars. It was clear for a full six miles. The last one shows the sudden rush of cars that have been finally let through after about five hours.

By the way, Kudos to Airtran. They stepped up to the plate and provided flights to all family members. The need was so great, they dedicated a plane for chartering all family members to Atlanta and then back to Ohio. Rumor has it they will also assist in flying remains to their home. Since then, Delta had also offered flights to any family member who requested it. The city of Atlanta arranged for accomodations for all surviving players and their families as they arrived.

Attachments

• gdot_cam_24_020717.jpg
    gdot_cam_24_020717.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 25
  • gdot_cam_24_020748.jpg
    gdot_cam_24_020748.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 18
  • gdot_cam_24_020904.jpg
    gdot_cam_24_020904.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 18
  • gdot_cam_24_020955.jpg
    gdot_cam_24_020955.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 17
  • gdot_cam_24_020959.jpg
    gdot_cam_24_020959.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 18
  • gdot_cam_24_021100.jpg
    gdot_cam_24_021100.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 18
  • gdot_cam_25_020956.jpg
    gdot_cam_25_020956.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 19
  • gdot_cam_25_021100.jpg
    gdot_cam_25_021100.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 20
I hope for that driver's sake that he got killed. If he didn't, he'll wish he did by the time the lawsuits are over. :(

That was a horrible accident. And yes the driver was killed along with his wife. I know that ramp and it can be confusing. As far as I know that's the only interchange that has a HOV ramp (maybe one or two more do). It was dark at the time of the accident, he was from out of town, and fatigue could have played a role. My condolences go out to the family and friends of the victims.:(

That was a horrible accident. And yes the driver was killed along with his wife. I know that ramp and it can be confusing. As far as I know that's the only interchange that has a HOV ramp (maybe one or two more do). It was dark at the time of the accident, he was from out of town, and fatigue could have played a role. My condolences go out to the family and friends of the victims.:(
Yes, the driver, his wife and four students were lost. And that ramp is one of many HOV only ramps on the inside or left lane. I don't know of one not clearly marked. The only thing I can think of is if the ramps were marked with green signs and more obvious than just white signs with "HOV" as part of the mantra. Personally, I think the entire HOV lane issue is a sham to appease the greenies. When a woman and infant child qualify to get through traffic faster on that lane but I can't use it when I'm carrying stat hospice meds, something is wrong with the picture.

That was a horrible accident. And yes the driver was killed along with his wife.

May they rest in peace. :(

What I said may sound cold, but it's the kind of thing I have to contemplate every day, and I know I'd rather not spend the rest of my life slaving away to pay off a lawsuit. :no:

Back