Atlanta Area Fllight School/CFI recomendations

Reklats

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Reklats
Long time lurker, first time poster. I'm working towards finishing up my Private at KMSN, but I will be attending a conference down in Atlanta next month. I was thinking about taking the opportunity to try to fly with a different instructor in a different part of the country to gain some additional experiance while I'm down there. So I'm looking for any recomendations, or places to stay away from.

Thanks,

Adam

Glad you decided to participate Reklats. Welcome to POA. I think that Chris Jones is near Atlanta. Hopefully he will chime in.

Can you give more details about where you'll be? The diameter of the "Atlanta area" is growing every day!

Can you give more details about where you'll be? The diameter of the "Atlanta area" is growing every day!

Conference is at the Georgia World Congress Center which looks like it's right in downtown Atlanta. I figure I'll have to catch a bus or take a cab to get out of the city and away from ATL.

Conference is at the Georgia World Congress Center which looks like it's right in downtown Atlanta. I figure I'll have to catch a bus or take a cab to get out of the city and away from ATL.
Urf. If cab or public transportation are your only options, the closest GA airports are: FTY (Fulton County) or PDK (Peachtree-Dekalb).

When NBAA was at the GWCC, they ran shuttle buses out to FTY, and that didn't seem too bad, so a cab ride there might not be out of the question. As for PDK, you can take MARTA to the Chamblee station and that will get you very close. I've heard some FBO's might come pick you up from there. Not sure of the specifics on that, as I've never tried it.

Other metro airports, LZU and RYY are out in the 'burbs and would probably be significant $$$ for a cab ride.

Welcome to PoA!

As for ATL area airports, I've only been here a little over a year and haven't been able to visit all of the outlier airports. There are a few places to rent in the area, but I have zero experience with any of them, so I can't recommend one over the other.

As far as ATC in the area, ZTL is pretty GA friendly, so getting in-and-out of any of the reliever fields shouldn't be a problem.

KRYY is probably the easiest. 25 miles away but prices are as good as you'll find and you rarely wait for clearance. Try AeroAtlanta there, better instructors than other choices on the field.

Being one the "other choices", I take exception to that statement. I teach part time at Superior at RYY (been there 9 years now) and they are real good guys. They have a bunch of 172's ranging from brand new G1000 models to older P models, all of which are well maintained.

Not saying anything bad about AeroAtlanta, because I have never really had any contact with their operation. Never had a single issue while sharing the same airspace with them, so I assume they do a good job as well.

I fly out of PDK for my full time job, but I don't know anything about the flight schools there, other than they all seem busy.

Well, if you used your real name, there is no record of you ever being a customer there, so I don't put much stock in your comment.

Back