ATC Services in Canada

coloradobluesky

En-Route
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
coloradobluesky
I've heard and read that you have to pay quarterly ATC services to fly in Canada (and to fly cross country in Canada you HAVE to file a flight plan, open it, and close it on all flights).

Just how much would it cost to fly a small General Aviation plane like a Cessna 172 to Alaska, say 5 days in Canada in ATC fees?

Anyone know?

7r505j.jpg

I've heard and read that you have to pay quarterly ATC services to fly in Canada (and to fly cross country in Canada you HAVE to file a flight plan, open it, and close it on all flights).

Just how much would it cost to fly a small General Aviation plane like a Cessna 172 to Alaska, say 5 days in Canada in ATC fees?

Anyone know?

~$18 per quarter. If you cross quarters, expect to pay for both.

That sounds a lot better that the per-flight fees that the boneheads keep proposing on this side of the border.

Small GA was more than $18/qtr. I think it was $67.50US per quarter two years ago. Plan your flight within one quarter. If you fly into some of the busier airports or use IFR services for an approach at certain locations, expect an additional charge. We received the bill in the US mail after the quarter closed.

NavCanada FSS are the best. They put lockmar to shame. After the first day, each time I called for a weather brief and file, they remembered the call sign and had the aircraft/pilot data up on the screen and ready with "where are we going today?". They were great to work wit.

Yes flight plans are mandatory and they are activated on your proposed departure time if departing from a non towered airport. If departing or arriving at towered airports they are automatically opened or closed as appropriate.

EDIT: looking at the second link above, that is the document you want. It does appear to be $17CAN per quarter for GA light aircraft. I'll have to go back and look at my records. The $67 may have been my CanPass customs fees.

Last edited:
That sounds a lot better that the per-flight fees that the boneheads keep proposing on this side of the border.

That's in part because Canada has separated ATC from the regulatory/enforcement functions, and doesn't cross-fund one with the other. The user fees in Canada have been reduced at least once, if I recall correctly, and GA interests are actually represented on the board that sets ATC fees.

Flight plans are only mandatory if you are crossing the border. You must file a flight plan or itinerary for a domestic flight. An itinerary can just be having a responsible person aware of your flight and prepared to report you missing if you don't show up.
I text my wife when departing and after landing. She knows who to call if I'm overdue.

Last edited:
Looking forward to working with Canada ATC.

Looking forward to working with Canada ATC.
One thing I found in a couple of weeks of flying is that the phraseology is slightly different than what we are used to. Not enough to be a major problem, but enough to cause misunderstandings. For example, one time I asked the tower to "call my base" because of traffic and got an acknowledgement (don't remember exactly what). The next exchange was when I reported about 5 miles from the airport and asked if I could turn yet. It became obvious that he hadn't understood my request.

I second the comment on Canadian FSS. As I understand it, our guys are forbidden to express opinions or offer advice beyond the printed Word. Talking to a Canadian FSS guy is like talking to a weatherman -- very informative. On one flight I asked if a cold front would pass through overnight and the guy had already been tracking its speed and gave me his (accurate) prediction immediately.

I second the comment on Canadian FSS. As I understand it, our guys are forbidden to express opinions or offer advice beyond the printed Word. Talking to a Canadian FSS guy is like talking to a weatherman -- very informative. On one flight I asked if a cold front would pass through overnight and the guy had already been tracking its speed and gave me his (accurate) prediction immediately.

I had the same experience. I was in Whitehorse headed into Alaska. The weather was 3000 overcast and 20 mile VIS leaving Whitehorse and Northway was still IFR. He assured us that this was normal morning for Northway, the low pressure in the gulf of Alaska was not an issue and by the time we arrived in Northway it would be clear. He was spot on with increasingly better weather to clear blue VFR by the time we reached the border and had great weather all the way to Anchorage.

Coming back was the same. When I left Tok headed to Whitehorse, it was low VFR at Whitehorse with forecast improvement. I could expect 3000 overcast with occasional 800 few but visibility of 20-30 NM or better. The 800 few was on the ridge lines either side of the valley along the Al-Can hiway. The briefers were spot on with their forecasts.

Yes, but how much does it cost for a trip in a 172 from Montana to Northway in Canadian ATC fees? Really cost?

Yes, but how much does it cost for a trip in a 172 from Montana to Northway in Canadian ATC fees? Really cost?

$17 Canadian. Good for a full calendar quarter.

Please read the Nav Canada PDF linked document in post 3.

Back