ATC sent jets into T-storms to train a controller?

mikea

Touchdown! Greaser!
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iWin
A British airliner was among four deliberately diverted into a potentially dangerous thunderstorm area to test the skills of a trainee US air traffic controller, it was claimed.

The Virgin Atlantic Boeing 747 and three others were rerouted at the direction of a supervisor at a control centre in Jacksonville, Florida, the controllers' union said.

Dave Cook of the National Air Traffic Controllers Association said the diversion increased the risk to the passengers and crews.

http://www.channel4.com/news/articles/science_technology/airliners+routed+towards+storms/2535172

I'm smelling another move by NATCA to make points.

> I'm smelling another move by NATCA to make points.

Is the contract expiring soon?

Historically there appears to be a correlation between NATCA publically complaining about stuff and contract negotiations. So, no, my question wasn't a joke.

"The Federal Aviation Authority which is investigating the incident denied thunderstorms were in the area and said the flights were directed only 33 to 50 miles out of their way."

That's easy enough to validate.

"The Federal Aviation Authority which is investigating the incident denied thunderstorms were in the area and said the flights were directed only 33 to 50 miles out of their way."

Hmmm... "The "Federal Aviation Authority". Who dat?

Last edited:
Back