Atc question: pickup clearance in air or call.

Assuming VFR conditions (otherwise it's obviously moot), the answer depends on where you're flying.

In relatively quiet airspace with a good chance of getting what you filed, I'd pick it up in the air.

In busy airspace (ie, Chicago/Socal/Norcal/Orlando/Regional/New York tracons), I'd pick it up on the ground and advise you can depart VFR. They will issue a clearance and squawk, with instructions to maintain VFR, no release time. You depart, call tracon in the air (they know you're coming), they radar ID you and then, when separation allows, either issue a hard IFR altitude, or in New York's case, they'll just spell it out, "consider yourself IFR..."

Thanks,
That make a lot of sense.
I was flying out of West Houston (KIWS) under the class Bravo shelf on a long cross country trip, it was a very busy VFR day.

Afterwards, I was thinking since it was VFR and it was so busy, I should have departed VFR (maybe with picking up Flight Following in the air if available) and initially filed my IFR flight plan using the closest VOR (TNV) or way point (Prari) as my departure point.

They kept me under the Bravo shelf anyway for the whole departure leg of the flight.

Thoughts?

Back