ATC orders go-around as a joke

Yeah. It works out pretty well, but she wants to fly half the legs. Actually since I got my instrument rating (and she does not), she figures she should fly if the weather is nice since I'll get to fly when it's not.

What we are missing is some of the husband-wife checks and balances when we are both (as one of our other friends here put it) taking hits off the 100LL crack pipe. This is why I have one of the sweetest Navions out there and live on a fabulous house on an airpark.

Nice. My dad is a pilot and he and I check and balance well together. My wife is a student pilot whose current goal is only to be able to get the plane down safely but I imagine she will get her ticket after the taste of that first solo.

Listen to the audio that I posted above. The pilot did communicate right away. His communication got stepped on by the controller. Similar to Tenerife without the heterodyne.

Keep in mind that in airline cockpits, the guy flying (and executing the Go Around) is not the same guy talking on the radio.

the guy on the radio is pretty busy too during a GA. In fact, that's the busiest seat. Radio, gear, flaps, sequence the FMS (ensure it sequenced at least), xfer AP mode, etc.

The flying guy just hits TOGA, advances power and sets a pitch...typically.

I'll ask.

What is TOGA?
It's a button on the throttle (at least the ones that I've seen are on the throttle) which brings the flight director bars to the Take Off Go Around position and, in some systems, sequences the FMS to navigate the missed approach procedure.

If autothrottles are being used, it can also instruct them to set the appropriate Go Around thrust. In my experience you'll see the buttons somewhere that can be easily pressed with a thumb while still having your hands on the levers - either on the sides, or on the front just below the handles.

That sucks.. I'd hate to be in that controllers shoes right now, but my take is I actually like how some controllers are being more personable and more like normal people at times. I like when they play nice and say fun things. I guess he just picked a bad time and phrase to be funny. I don't think this guy needs to lose his job over this. I don't want to be talking with robots on the radio. Maybe some sort of fine or something would be more appropriate.

He won't be losing his job over it.

Yeah, but he IS going to take some serious ribbing from his colleagues in the tower!

No doubt. While this was a stupid thing to do, far bigger errors (operational errors) occur without controllers losing their jobs. You get suspended, maybe give some classes, someone plugs in with you for a few hours and then they sign you off to continue controlling aircraft.

Back