kath

Administrator
Management Council Member
PoA Technical Administrator
Display Name

Display name:
Katherine
Hi, all,

I have a very random "what was that movie?" question.

At the Pole, there is almost always some movie or other playing in the movie lounge, so I saw the second-half only of quite a lot of movies. One day I watched the last 20 minutes or so of some movie about air traffic controllers. The last 20 minutes were pretty good, and I'm interested in digging it up on Netflix if possible.

From what I remember of the wardrobe and hair, I would say it was early 80's but I can't be sure. No famous actors or actresses that I recognized. What I remember of the plot... well, I only saw the climactic ending in which a big airliner had some kind of total electrical failure and our brave band of ATC protagonists had to bring the crippled plane in safely. They argue over how to do this... "They can only turn left, we have to bring them over <whatever>" "Dammit, no, that'll take them right over downtown!" ...this kind of thing. I remember one of our heros giving a sort of "Look, I know I'm a screw-up, but you're just going to have to trust me!" speech, and all ends well. (If I'd seen the beginning of the movie, it would probably make more sense; some "troubled soul" backplot I'm sure.)

This was several years ago, PPPL (pre-PPL), so I didn't notice any flight-related details. Except that the pilots were very calm in the midst of their multiple failures.

Sound familiar to anyone?

--Kath

kath said:
Hi, all,

I have a very random "what was that movie?" question.

At the Pole, there is almost always some movie or other playing in the movie lounge, so I saw the second-half only of quite a lot of movies. One day I watched the last 20 minutes or so of some movie about air traffic controllers. The last 20 minutes were pretty good, and I'm interested in digging it up on Netflix if possible.

From what I remember of the wardrobe and hair, I would say it was early 80's but I can't be sure. No famous actors or actresses that I recognized. What I remember of the plot... well, I only saw the climactic ending in which a big airliner had some kind of total electrical failure and our brave band of ATC protagonists had to bring the crippled plane in safely. They argue over how to do this... "They can only turn left, we have to bring them over <whatever>" "Dammit, no, that'll take them right over downtown!" ...this kind of thing. I remember one of our heros giving a sort of "Look, I know I'm a screw-up, but you're just going to have to trust me!" speech, and all ends well. (If I'd seen the beginning of the movie, it would probably make more sense; some "troubled soul" backplot I'm sure.)

This was several years ago, PPPL (pre-PPL), so I didn't notice any flight-related details. Except that the pilots were very calm in the midst of their multiple failures.

Sound familiar to anyone?

--Kath

Was there a bomb threat at that time in the control room, too? If so, it was "Pushing Tin". Otherwise, I don't know. But then again, how could you label Billy Bob Thornton and John Cusack, much less Angelina Jolie as "no famous actors or actresses"? Probably a different flick.

Last edited:
No, not "Pushing Tin". Much earlier.
I think it was on a beta tape. :)

--Kath

tom clark said:
was george peppard in it? "crisis in mid-air"?? tc
Sounds promising. Right era, too. (1979.)
Not listed on Netflix, though. I wonder how I could get my hands on it...

--Kath

Sounds like it's earlier than that movie where the stereotype bimbo stew is flying because the bomb toting hijackers killed the flight crew and makes a missed approach in a 747 and just barely clears the multistory parking garage and hooks a SUV on the mains. Oh yeah, that's a classic. NOT!

Just thought I should mention this MUST NOT movie.:)

Richard said:
Wasn't Geo. Kennedy is all the disaster movies from that era?

oh man, he was great, especially in Airport! i thought "Joe Patroni" was the coolest guy on earth when he throttled that 707 up to full power to get it out of the snow before the plows mangled it getting it off the runway. And that trainee pilot sitting behind him in the jumpseat yelling at him to throttle back before the engines come apart, and Patroni says (with that perpetual cigar stuck in his gritted teeth) something like, "I can't hear you! The damm engines are making too much noise!" Man, great stuff! gotta watch that one too! tc

Is this the one where the female controller has her boyfriend/husband on the plane in trouble?

"A Wing and A Prayer" - 1998

Back