ATC Hiring March 2015

Seanaldinho

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Yerp
I recently attended a seminar on the ATC hiring this year and thought I would post a short summary for any who are interested. Now before I start, take it all with a grain of salt as it is second hand and from a biased source (a university telling its students how to get hired).

This year the hiring has been broken down into two "tracks" an experienced track, someone with 52 months of controller experience, and a general/education track, which requires 36 months of progressive work experience or 36 months of college (a 4 year degree based off a 9 month academic year). The experienced track opened in February and people who applied are already being notified if they have a Temporary Offer Letter (they will be hired if they pass medical, security, and psych). The general track is opening sometime in March, and could be open for 1 day or 30 days, depends on how quickly they get the numbers they want. Ive heard the FAA plans to hire between 2000 and 3000 (!!!) people this go around. Again second hand guesses so it may or may not be true. Also, anyone who aged out from hiring after last year is able to apply again this year.

The application will include a Biographical Assessment again, however some questions will be based on whether or not you attended a CTI school and are weighted to give favor to CTI students/graduates. This year you will be required to "sign" that you will not divulge what is on the Bio, so we will see how much comes out about it. If you pass the Bio, you will have the opportunity to take a new/modified AT-SAT. Essentially an aptitude test. Your score on the AT-SAT is irrelevant as long as you pass with 70% or greater and you may never know your exact score.

If you pass the AT-SAT, you will receive a Temporary Offer Letter (TOL) and be assigned an HR representative. Then working with them you will give them your availability and what not for starting at the academy, then work through your medical exam, security evaluation, and psych eval. Pass all of those and you will get a class date. The guess is that when you receive your TOL you will be assigned enroute or terminal. How that is determined is a mystery but ultimately it will come down to the FAA's needs. At the academy, if 20 people are in your class there will be 20 facilities to choose from at the end, if you graduate with only 15 left in your class only 15 facilities will be on the list. Class ranking will determine who chooses where they go.

So there it is in a nutshell. Hope it works out better this year than last year.

Thanks for the heads up. Any word about the CTC contract to train them? I have applications in right now for a virtual pilot (Raytheon, General Dynamics, etc) but none have replied because they're waiting for the contract to be awarded for training (I believe).

That's good information, and sounds like they are improving the selection process. Thank you for the post.

Thanks for the heads up. Any word about the CTC contract to train them? I have applications in right now for a virtual pilot (Raytheon, General Dynamics, etc) but none have replied because they're waiting for the contract to be awarded for training (I believe).
I was just in DC on Monday and I think it was Raytheon that had adds all over the place for ATC training in every Metro station. Seems strange that they would do that without a contract already in place.

How much do entry level controllers get paid to start? I have a friend interested in this as a career.

I couldn't tell ya. That wasn't mentioned at all.

That's good information, and sounds like they are improving the selection process. Thank you for the post.

It does sound like they have and Im hopeful. Ill be applying even though I won't have a degree yet.

How much do entry level controllers get paid to start? I have a friend interested in this as a career.

At the academy you get paid a per diem, I think i heard it comes out to roughly 40 grand a year but you aren't there for a whole year. Then you go off to your facility and get pay bumps as you get certified. Where you top out depends on the level of the facility and how much overtime/night shifts you work.

I was just in DC on Monday and I think it was Raytheon that had adds all over the place for ATC training in every Metro station. Seems strange that they would do that without a contract already in place.

http://www.resumeware.net/gdns_rw/gdns_web/job_detail.cfm?key=185363&referred_id=158

The RPO operates a combination of Cathode Ray Tube (CRT)/keyboard/Voice Communication System (VCS) to simulate the actions and communication of pilots and remote ATC facilities during medium and high-fidelity training exercises. The candidate will be required to become certified as an RPO and will complete knowledge and skills tests for each area that will be supported.
RPOs receive voice commands from students, input proper entries into the automated system to simulate pilot actions, translate displayed information into appropriate ATC terminology, and respond to the student via the VCS utilizing proper phraseology.

This position will be located within the Oklahoma City, OK metro/district area in support of the FAA Academy.

Award for the FAA CTC is anticipated in 2015

Yeah, I don't know either. I've had applications out for these companies for a couple months now at least. Can't get a hold of anyone, although General Dynamics is one of the few that states there's a contact award anticipated. A couple others said March or April 2015. :dunno:

At the academy you get paid a per diem, I think i heard it comes out to roughly 40 grand a year but you aren't there for a whole year. Then you go off to your facility and get pay bumps as you get certified. Where you top out depends on the level of the facility and how much overtime/night shifts you work.
40K? Not even close. It's a set amount for living expenses, and then the equivalent of roughly 20-25K for everything else.

Pay, including overtime, night, weekends, holidays, etc., can easily make it to 250K/year.

I am debating applying just for the hell of it. I am out of work anyway and it sounds interesting.

Progressive work experience? Maybe being gainfully employed and/or changing jobs to something better paying/more responsibility? :dunno:

Can someone explain what exactly progressive work experience is?

Progressive work experience? Maybe being gainfully employed and/or changing jobs to something better paying/more responsibility? :dunno:

As it was described to us, if you were working a dead end job at mcdonalds as a cashier for 3 years straight don't get your hopes up. If you were working in an industry and being promoted or being successful thats what they wanted.

It seems I was wrong. It's $900 million per month.

The real answer is it changes and depends. At the academy you're making about 9.50 an hour, but around 100 bucks a day in per diem (and the 70 something per day allotted toward housing is mysteriously what the reputable housing providers charge).

All controllers who make it past the academy make $37,700 (this is a couple of years old and can be higher in higher locality areas) The entry pay for a fully certified controller once they've completed all stages in training can range from around 55K a year at a very dead VFR tower to 125K at a busy tower/approach or more likely center.

Adding realistic differentials and holidays the newly certified range runs from just north of 60K to 150K depending on facility not including overtime. Add ten percent more if in NYC, LA, Houston and other high locality areas.

Hey guys,

I have already completed background investigation, and med eval. I have my psych eval on Monday. About how long does it take to receive a class date after all of these are done? My lease ends in a couple months and I hope it is within a month...

The process has changed since I went through, but when I accepted the initial offer the HR folks told me my start date and what facility I was going to.

Hey guys,

I have already completed background investigation, and med eval. I have my psych eval on Monday. About how long does it take to receive a class date after all of these are done? My lease ends in a couple months and I hope it is within a month...

Hey sorry I don't know the answer to your question but did you apply in feb or March?

Back