ATC ClassII renewal

U

Unregistered

I'm currently employed at a private VFR tower. Last year I was selected as an FAA ATC candidate. I passed all of my medical except the MMPI-2(psych test). I later retook the test but my answers came up as 'inconclusive' again and I was denied employment. I was then told I could appeal the FAA decision by hiring my own shrink. I'm currently in the process of doing this.

Do you think this will be an issue in getting a new classII within the coming weeks? My actual medical certificate was never denied, suspended, or revoked. Nor have I ever had any mental issues in my life.

Thanks

They issue MMPI-2's on a class II renewal? Very odd. A MMPI isn't much use on it's own...it just gives the practitioner (or the FAA) somewhere to look next.

They issue MMPI-2's on a class II renewal? Very odd.QUOTE]

No, but the FAA requires it's a new air traffic controllers to take the MMPI as part of their initial medical clearance before getting hired.

I've gotten my classII for a couple of years now w/ no problems. I currently work for a private ATC company, not the FAA, which doesn't require controllers to take the psych test.

Whenever I got selected for employment with the FAA as a controller, I had to take the MMPI. Unfortunately there is no waiver for the test (that I know of), even for prior contract or military controllers.

Very interesting! I was an FAA controller for 30 years and a radar instructor at the FAA Academy. I think if they had given us a psych test there would have been a lot of empty chairs.

Very interesting! I was an FAA controller for 30 years and a radar instructor at the FAA Academy. I think if they had given us a psych test there would have been a lot of empty chairs.

You probably don't remember the psych test as part of the hiring process. They asked about 6 different ways how you hate your mother. Not if you do, that was assumed, but how you hate.

I remember that test, back in 1974 as part of the screening process into the FAA work study program in college that lead to a full time position. ZBOS 1975-1982.

The agency has a number of tools available to it when acting as a private employer as opposed to a certification agent.

If you have not been given a diagnosis (and you would not have been), and as there is no insurance payment for the MMPI, this doesn't get reported anywhere on the 8500-8. Your class II medical for the contract tower should be unaffected.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back