ATC Asking Me to Report Traffic in IMC?

I guess I’m misunderstanding the “joys” you reference from the OPs post. Does it have something to do with the controller in a dark room (maybe hundreds of miles away) not seeing what you see or something else?
I think some people are just nervous about ATC (and maybe "authority" figures in general). It probably depends on where you trained.

I trained at a busy Canadian class C airport (more like US class B), so every VFR flight to the practice area involved ATIS -> clearance -> ground -> tower -> terminal -> (practice area) -> ATIS -> terminal -> tower -> ground. When you do it every flight, it's not a big deal at all, and you think of ATC not as scary government people trying to catch you making a mistake so they can get you in trouble, but partners doing their best to help you and everyone else get where they're going in crowded airspace.

Most of the time they do a great job, sometimes (rarely) they screw up, but generally, I'm happy to have their voices in my headset.

I think some people are just nervous about ATC (and maybe "authority" figures in general). It probably depends on where you trained.

I think the OP was more of a case of someone who's never had a tower tour and who simply doesn't understand what "the other side of the radio" is dealing with.

A tower tour, especially if it's one that also houses a TRACON, is priceless to help understand the big picture.

Last edited:
I guess I’m misunderstanding the “joys” you reference from the OPs post. Does it have something to do with the controller in a dark room (maybe hundreds of miles away) not seeing what you see or something else?

Good thing we don't talk very much here about the stupid things we see pilots do. ;)

Back