Atc ask me if I was adsb

Topper

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Topper
I was talking with Kansas City approach clear of the Bravo heading into downtown (mkc). The controller ask if I had time for a question and ask if I was dabs equipped. I told him I was but did not ask why he inquired. I was about to be handed off to tower.

I am curious about the question. Obviously he could tell something, but must not have been able to tell for sure. What gave him indication that I might be adsb and why was that not enough for him to know. What might prompt him to ask?

It appears that I do not have my tail number entered to broadcast. I am wondering if it should be. I know some will say it is an invitation for trouble should I bust an airspace. If I broadcast my number and monitored 121.5, would they maybe try to reach out to me if I was close to trouble. What are the pros/cons to broadcasting.

FWIW I always use ff for cross countries and expect to file ifr once I get that ticket.

Jim

ADSB or Mode S, you hexidecimal code assigned to your aircraft should have been programmed on install. If you violate airspace squawking 1200, they should be able to figure out which airplane it is.

Curious to know what he was seeing to ask about absb.

ADSB or Mode S, you hexidecimal code assigned to your aircraft should have been programmed on install. If you violate airspace squawking 1200, they should be able to figure out which airplane it is.

Curious to know what he was seeing to ask about absb.

In addition to the Mode S serial number, most Mode S transpodners in GA are set up to broadcast the N number (where airliners send the flight number).

Controllers know all.

I was flying from cll to eyq once and flight following when one controller asked me if I was a student pilot, which I was.

I was tempted to ask how he knew but I figure the ground controller at cll may have relayed the fact that I forgot to take the chocks off before starting and had to shut down and start all over.

Or maybe I was flying in circles.

Have no idea why a controller would ask that question out of the blue. Shouldn't he be able to tell?

...I was tempted to ask how he knew but I figure the ground controller at cll may have relayed the fact that I forgot to take the chocks off before starting and had to shut down and start all over...

Got news for you, you don't have to be a student pilot to do that :rolleyes:

Have no idea why a controller would ask that question out of the blue. Shouldn't he be able to tell?

If the voice on the radio uses one identifier, then if the ADS-B isn't sending the same identifier or one that can ID the same aircraft, ATC has no way except deduction to correlate the audio with the radar transponder return.

Likely ATC was just confirming their suspicion.

If the voice on the radio uses one identifier, then if the ADS-B isn't sending the same identifier or one that can ID the same aircraft, ATC has no way except deduction to correlate the audio with the radar transponder return.

Likely ATC was just confirming their suspicion.

Thanks never thought of that.

I just called approach and asked. He though that they were just checking to verify that the system was working. I didn't an exact explanation of what might have been going on. It sounded like maybe they just turned on some equipment and wanted to make sure it was working.

I additionally ask if I was broadcasting my tail number and got close to airspace I should not be in, would they try to contact me on 121.5. He indicated that they did not have that frequency, but they would request someone to contact me.

I think I will make sure I am broadcasting my N number and try to make monitoring 121.5 a habit. Although anytime I am on a cross country, I am on FF until I get my IFR ticket at which time I plan to always file.

Thanks,

Jim

Back