ATC Ambition

Adamoh

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Adamoh
Hello everyone,

So I really want to become an air traffic controller, however I researched and found that the new hiring process is based mainly on luck and they do not happen very often. Is there anyone that can help me or point me in the right direction aside from the military route, which is my last resort. I am an 18 year old college freshman with a ppl (if that helps).

Hello everyone,

So I really want to become an air traffic controller, however I researched and found that the new hiring process is based mainly on luck and they do not happen very often. Is there anyone that can help me or point me in the right direction aside from the military route, which is my last resort. I am an 18 year old college freshman with a ppl (if that helps).

Apply anyway!! Don't not apply because you don't think you'll get the job, you never know.

Hello everyone,

I know you excluded the military, but I just wanted to tell you a little about it. My son is an AC (atc) in the Navy. He went to school in Pensacola Florida and is stationed in New Orleans. I don't know if deployment is your concern or just the military in general, he will likely never be assignees to a boat and is gathering his qualifications at a pretty good rate. By the time his five years are up he will be in good shape to get an FAA job and will be 23 years old. I also see you are in school, the Navy would be paying for that. I know the military isn't for everyone, but is a great option for some careers and I think ATC is one of them.

You are young, join the military. You will meet the best friends you'll ever have, go to awesome places, and get paid to learn valuable skills. It will be the best years of your life.

Don't exclude ATC as a career. Just plan for a professional backup if things don't pan out. I.E. don't do an air traffic degree.

The same advice applies to aspiring commercial pilots- have a career back-up plan and don't enroll in an aviation degree.

Talk to MarkZ here, he is a controller and will have the inside scoop.

'Gimp

You could start as a dispatcher , IIRC Jepp has an 8 week, full-time course, as do others. Then work while you're waiting for an ATC training slot.

Going the military route can also be iffy. Just because you're promised ATC doesn't mean you'll get it. Everything is "for the good of the service"

You could start as a dispatcher , IIRC Jepp has an 8 week, full-time course, as do others. Then work while you're waiting for an ATC training slot.

Going the military route can also be iffy. Just because you're promised ATC doesn't mean you'll get it. Everything is "for the good of the service"

This is 100% true. However, you ARE guaranteed the opportunity to fail. If they contract you for ATC, you will get it unless you fail out of school or later if you cannot get your quals.

Rumor has it the FAA is changing hiring. Again. CTI schools do remain a decent path toward an ATC career. However, that shouldn't preclude you from using the off the street (OTS) bid when it comes out.

Military is an option, however like others have mentioned there is no guarantee you will get a job as an ATC via that route.

Either way, the FAA will not look at you without either a four year degree or four years full time work experience (military works here).

My advice? If becoming an ATCS is your goal, start looking at CTI schools. UND has a good program, so does CCBC (Community College of Beaver County outside Pittsburgh). UND is a four year program and CCBC runs two years. Either way, plan on spending money and taking out loans for any school.

Once you're in the FAA, you aren't guaranteed squat. You have to survive training at the Academy, which is no easy task. Then after graduation plan on at least three years training at your facility before becoming a journeyman controller.

That's all I can write on this break. It's the best job in the world, but it definitely isn't for everyone. Good luck to you. PM me if you need any help or more information.

At your age the best advice and chance for a civilian ATC job is to be a military controller.

Im at UND (University of North Dakota) as an ATC student. The hiring process is actively being looked at by UND and NATCA (the controllers union). Word is there will be changes this year, how true that is I can't say but...

Either way apply this spring (everyone here will be) and look at CTI schools. I looked at ERAU, Beaver, and UND. Beaver didn't appeal because its a two year school. ERAU is to damn expensive and the program didn't seem all that strong honestly. UND has the best program I saw and here I am.

Hopefully, by the time I graduate the hiring process will be fixed. Otherwise, Im looking at other possible careers. Airline dispatch likes to pick up CTI grads (you would still have to go through a dispatch school), train dispatchers have picked up CTI grads. Military is an option.

TL;DR dont paint yourself into a corner.

Last edited:
Apologies for the novel I'm about to write and I just want to say that nobody knows how FAA hiring policies will change except that they will change every year or two. Also, lest I insult someone, I'm assuming your end employment goal is with the FAA based on what you wrote and in no way am I intentionally ignoring a career military or contract tower controller career path

If you really want ATC you probably want to maximize your chances for being hired. Your three options are off the street (OTS), FAA approved college degree (CTI) or the military.

OTS is open to anyone with 3 years of combined full time work/college or a combination of both with allowances to convert part time work to full time ie, 1 year of working 20 hour weeks = 6 months of full time work. OTS openings come and go sometimes with several years between OTS openings. If I'm serious about being a controller I'm not going to depend on OTS. I'll apply on every bid I qualify for, but I'm not going to sit on my hands and make this my one shot at getting the job.

Military. Obviously an excellent route, but not your preferred option and there is nothing wrong with that. Many have said you may have a hard time getting a guaranteed ATC slot. If you enlist open general with a wink saying you'l get ATC, yeah you can get conned. If you know that service's ATC career code and say (Air Force example) "1C1X1 and only 1C1X1 please." and aren't afraid to walk away if the recruiter does anything but what you ask, you'll have an easier time.

One thing to be aware of is in the hiring eyes of the FAA all services are the same, but not all of what a service's controllers might do will be considered "real" atc by the FAA. Army tactical ATC from stage fields and Navy carrier ATC qualifications do not count with FAA HR. Another is, and another poster alluded to it with their son, unless you get all of the ratings in an FAA recognized environment, you don't qualify to apply under a military bid. So if you get flight data, clearance and ground at a tower and get shipped off elsewhere before getting local (tower), what you did there in the eyes of FAA HR means nothing.

The CTI route seems to be the one you want. If I were in your shoes I'd apply today to any and all 2 year CTI programs. Most of your credits will transfer and you'll have a CTI degree in a year or two. You can then transfer those credits back to where you are now and resume your current degree.

As Mark said, no path is a guarantee and I'd strongly advise becoming hire-able ASAP and then continue your life as if ATC doesn't exist. The wait to get hired can be very long and especially frustrating if you just sit out a menial job waiting for the phone to ring day after day.

Did ATC in the Marines for 8 yrs. Brother is a current FAA controller. Advice above on going CTI is good but like Mark said don't discount the OTS route. All they can say is no.

As far as the military side, you absolutely CAN get guaranteed ATC in your contract. It's just a matter of getting a high enough GT score on the ASVAB and the particular service having a need. Don't trust the recruiters! They have a quota to fill and some will try and get you to sign open contract. If it happens, stand your ground and go somewhere else. I got jerked around by both the AF and Navy until I met with the Marines and he told me up front I didn't have the GT to go ATC. I retook the ASVAB, got high scores and signed a contract for ATC. Back then it was a dual MOS of ATC / C-130 Navigator but nowadays with the J model they dropped the enlisted navigator MOS about 10 yrs ago.

If you can't get into ATC through the OTS application process and aren't willing to relocate to a CTI then the military is a good option. My advice would be to go AF, Navy, Marines, Army. In that order. AF has probably the best living conditions and most bases work steady traffic. Navy has good bases as well but there is a chance on going on the "boat." Only about 1/4 of the controllers are assigned to a ship though. There's also a chance of being assigned a FACSFAC position controlling the off shore warning areas. Marines, well obviously boot camp will suck but after that you'll be in the air wing and quality of life isn't much different than the other services. There is a chance of getting assigned the tactical side as well. I'd stay clear of the Army unless you enjoy working helos all day. In the Army you run the risk of being assigned some BS duty that has nothing to do with your MOS as well. For example, we had Army ATC guys running a command & control (C2) console in the back of our aircraft on deployment. They also do a lot of tactical ATC; essentially living in the woods on a field excersise and working slow traffic from a portable tower. They also get assigned a lot of flight following jobs that just maintain comms with aircraft while they're flying on the range. That's not real ATC.

So, like I said, the military is an option and you can always go FAA, DOD or contract tower when you finish. You will get the same 7220-1 (pink card) and if qualified, a control tower operators (CTO) certificate just like FAA controllers are issued. They have the same type of tower and radar simulators that the FAA has at OK City. You'll work not only cool military aircraft but if you become approach rated (RAPCON, ARAC or RATCF) you'll work civilian aircraft as well. Another cool thing is you'll get to do GCAs. PAR is almost non existent in the FAA but you'll do a bunch in the service.

I have many friends who have gone from the Marines and today are working at some of the busiest facilities in the country. I'm sure all of them would recommend a path in the service. Just get rated and out before I believe the 31 yr old cutoff and you're good. If FAA won't hire you or you become too old, go DOD or contract. Good luck to ya.

EDIT: Oh yeah, don't go OCS. You'll find yourself as a facility manager and controlling a desk.

Last edited:
At your age I would go the military route. Get experience,and be paid for it.

Back