"At the tone, the time will be...."

303-499-7111 ... NIST won't be pulling the plug on theirs any time soon. ;)

I'll be gravely disappointed when they kill DUATS though.

I forget which one DUAT or DUATS is run by the old GTE, but I got to see it once... basement of a GTE building in Chantilly, VA... back then it was a mainframe.

Kinda neat to meet the folks who worked on the helpdesk... there weren't that many of them, actually. (I was in the building doing something else for a GTE/FAA contract, telecom related, and the GTE engineer said, "Want to see DUAT?")

I forget which one DUAT or DUATS is run by the old GTE, but I got to see it once... basement of a GTE building in Chantilly, VA... back then it was a mainframe.

Kinda neat to meet the folks who worked on the helpdesk... there weren't that many of them, actually. (I was in the building doing something else for a GTE/FAA contract, telecom related, and the GTE engineer said, "Want to see DUAT?")
Yes, but did he show you the WOPR? :D

I agree that there's no reason for this service anymore. Where I sit right now, I have 6 different places where I can get the time. Three of them sync themselves to an accurate time automatically. The other three I sync myself. That's just fine.

The whole system right up to what FSS and ATC has, is still on a mainframe, DUAT is just access to it by Telnet. The DUAT and DUATS vendors have front ends that make the user interface into web pages and other apps, but they connect to the fed Big Iron by Telnet.

Last edited:
The whole system right up to what FSS and ATC has, is still on a mainframe, DUAT is just access to it by Telnet. The DUAT and DUATS vendors have front ends that make the user interface into web pages and other apps, but they connect to the fed Big Iron by Telnet.
It could always be worse... like one of SNA protocols. Telnet is almost sane.

Yeah. Its 2011. Anyone still using that number for anything other than novelty purposes has a mental issue, not unlike the people that used to call Comcast every morning to find out what time Walker, Texas Ranger was on.

I actually saw one of the announcement machines in a Illinois Bell Central Office in Chicago. A cylinder with layers of lotsa spinning silver disks and clanking going constantly.

The console for the #4(?) ESS was a trip, too. Looks like NASA mission control.

CSC, I believe, got DUATS from GTE. I signed up back when it was still GTE, when I thought it was special. The first ID card is still around somewhere.

Back