At the risk of being flamed....missed approach hold

pstan

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Stan
This is right out of "Terminal Checklist" from Oct 08 Professional Pilot. Angel Fire, New Mexico, KAXX. Rnav gps rwy 17. Question 10.

"Regardless of approach catergory or speed, all aircraft using the missed approach holding pattern must remain within 4 nm of FTI to ensure that the aircraft stays within the airspace that has been assessed for obstacles. True or False?"

Answer: " This statement is true as shown by the missed approach inset"

The inset shows the holding pattern as "012{deg} 4 NM" on the outbound, "192{deg}" on the inbound.

I hate showing my ignorance, but isn't it the holding pattern inbound and outbound legs that are 4 nm, not the remain within distance. It's not a proc turn, it's a hold!!

You are correct. You should begin the inbound turn when you see 4nm distance to FTI on the outbound leg. This will result in going a bit more than 4nm from FTI while in the inbound turn.

Hmmm, not sure about that Ron.

This being an RNAV approach, the missed app procedure is in the database. In which case, if it were flown on the gps, wouldn't the outbound leg be 4 nm long, same as the inbound?

So, if one also had a dme reading, wouldn't it be greater than 4 when the turn inbound was started?

Stan I haven't see the plate but the question you asked is one of the reasons this board exisits. Keep asking.

Flying the automagic G1000/GFC700 I can confirm that holds with published leg lengths are drawn and flown with the turn arcs starting smoothly at the 4NM point (or whatever the leg length is). Depending on speed your actual distance from the fix can be significantly (i.e. more than 10%) more than 4NM out on the farthest point of the arc.

Back