At least they are abiding by the NFL TFR

Of all the professional sports leagues, the NFL is the biggest on enforcing the TFR and trying to make people pay to play.

So Rice is convicted in the court of public opinion and loses his job as a result. If his then Gf didn't care to file charges, and he was never convicted, what business is it of football or anyone else.
Not that I think he should skate but there were no charges. I would say he has a good shot at a civil suit.

So Rice is convicted in the court of public opinion and loses his job as a result. If his then Gf didn't care to file charges, and he was never convicted, what business is it of football or anyone else.
Not that I think he should skate but there were no charges. I would say he has a good shot at a civil suit.

The football players are entertainers, their employers have every right to expect a level of conduct that does not reflect poorly on the sport.

The idea of banner tow pilots suing the government over first amendment issues is a fun one, though unworkable for a number of reasons. The current court strongly favors security over freedom issues, they have in a number of instances. And banner tow pilots haven't enough money to hire lawyers anyway.

Yeah, but it sounds like a cause that the ACLU could have a lot of fun with.

Hmm, anyone want to make a case about how the TFR is an infringement of freedom of expression?

I dunno - someone will just say the TFR is like setting up a "free speech zone". If you could fly a banner big enough to be read from just outside the stadium TFR, somebody would do it. Just need to yell louder.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ners-will-fly-over-four-stadiums-in-week-two/

Hmm, anyone want to make a case about how the TFR is an infringement of freedom of expression?

Sure, it was most likely flying around well before the game time and/or the TFR started. Football culture is steeped in the all-day, now woefully modestly named "tailgate party". One can still reach a fair number of interested parties flying before the game, though not as many as are assembled once the TFR goes into effect and/or the game actually begins.

If it truly was a "security" issue, and not a $uppre$$ion issue, why has there never been a vetting process, such as in place for the DC SFRA and/or FRZ?

Of all the professional sports leagues, the NFL is the biggest on enforcing the TFR and trying to make people pay to play.

Nah, I nominate Disney for that title. How many years have their "Temporary" flight restrictions been in effect? No such benefits for Six Flags or other less federally connected parks.

The sports TFR was about security, it would apply to Hockey games :)

Its all moot anyway considering most stadiums are domed now (how boring is that view? Look kidsm, its the roof of the Metrodome!), and the prevalence of night games, the only time a towed banner might be seen is pre-game anyway. Most aerial footage shown during the game was shot from a helicopter days or weeks before the event. While there are still billboard blimps (including Goodyear, MetLife, DirecTV), I don't think they even try to preserve the notion that they are floating over the game itself in real time.

Any sporting event with more than 30k people is a TFR.

Besides I have more respect for the NFL (even the raiders and cowboys) than MaObama.

Any sporting event with more than 30k people is a TFR.

Besides I have more respect for the NFL (even the raiders and cowboys) than MaObama.

Incorrect, read the entire statements. If you have a stadium with a music concert this doesn't apply, Hockey = nope, Soccer=No...

ALL AIRCRAFT AND PARACHUTE OPERATIONS ARE PROHIBITED WITHIN A 3 NMR UP TO AND INCLUDING 3000 FT AGL OF ANY STADIUM HAVING A SEATING CAPACITY OF 30,000 OR MORE PEOPLE WHERE EITHER A REGULAR OR POST SEASON MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL, NATIONAL FOOTBALL LEAGUE, OR NCAA DIVISION ONE FOOTBALL GAME IS OCCURRING. THIS NOTAM ALSO APPLIES TO NASCAR SPRINT CUP, INDY CAR,

Nah, I nominate Disney for that title. How many years have their "Temporary" flight restrictions been in effect? No such benefits for Six Flags or other less federally connected parks.

I'm saying, that any other major sporting league would allow for operators to apply for a waiver and operate in it, for a legitimate reason. With the NFL, you could have the waiver, and if you weren't paying them cash, you weren't going to be allowed there.

It would be an interesting argument. Very possibly a successful one.

Freedom is sacrificed on the altar of security daily. . . . my God man, haven't you seen Bloody Sunday?

Not all of the Disney World property is under the TFR - they centered it over the Magic Kingdom and the Animal Kingdom is outside the circle. Last time I was there I was hearing a big radial engine obviously doing some maneuvering - found a clear area and saw that it was a skywriter. :dunno:

The idea of banner tow pilots suing the government over first amendment issues is a fun one, though unworkable for a number of reasons. The current court strongly favors security over freedom issues, they have in a number of instances. And banner tow pilots haven't enough money to hire lawyers anyway.

Really the banner tow pilot has no skin in this game and isn't gonna fight anyone about the TFR. It's not a first amendment issue for the pilot, it's a business issue. I'm betting that if they like remaining in business they will tell their customer (the ones with the message) that they are only allowed to fly over the stadium up until the TFR goes into effect unless that customer wants to deal with all the BS involved in getting them clearance into the TFR.

It's pretty simple, and I think all of you guys are overthinking it. It's not impossible to get clearance into the TFR, as I've seen many banner tows at many events. The question is whether or not they can get that clearance, and really even if they dont they can still get their message out. I'm betting the news articles written about this plan are getting their message out far better than the actual banners would anyways, which is also probably why they are announcing it ahead of time.

Back