Asus eee Pad Transformer

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
Has anyone seen this yet? Sold out in all stores at the moment, looks to be the best tablet on the market right now (Apple products inclusive).

Items marked in Red are clear winners.

ASUS eee Pad Transformer:
Price: $399 (16GB, WiFi Only)
Screen size: 10.1"
Processor: 1ghz Dual Core Tegra 2
Resolution: 1280 x 800
Camera: 5MP Rear, 1.3MP Front
Ports: HDMI Output, 2x USB
Battery Life: 8 hours
Weight: 1.4lbs

Compare that to the iPad 2:
Price: $499 (16GB WiFi Only)
Screen Size: 9.7"
Processor: Dual Core A5 (no speed published)
Resolution: 1024 x 768
Camera: 0.92MP (720P) Rear, 0.3MP (640x480) VGA Front
Ports: None?
Battery Life: 10 hours
Weight: 1.3lbs
*** Note that I would pick a winner for the processor, but Apple doesn't give any specs on it (or RAM, interestingly)

But the best part? It has a keyboard dock, with a touchpad. The keyboard dock has 2 USB ports on it, and an additional 8 hour battery, bringing the total to 16 hours. Also, the WiFi only version HAS A GPS in it, and only runs $399. Also - Android supports Flash. the iPad does not and never will....

^^^ This guy is annoying. But its a pretty good head to head comparison.

Last edited:
There have been a lot of "iPod killers" and "iPhone killers" and now the "iPad killers" are starting to come out... And they've all failed so far.

This one at least looks somewhat reasonable. Do they have a 3G-enabled version? How about other capacities? 16GB ain't enough for me... The idea of having another battery and USB ports on the keyboard dock is pretty cool.

But until it's got something like ForeFlight, it just won't do what I want it to do anyway.

It's not a new concept, a few people tried to ship Tegra-based tabs (Advent Vega), and even Atom-based (ExoPC rebadges like Onkyo). The difference is that it's going to be mass-produced this time and perhaps stay on the market long enough to common people to get their hands on it.

Advantages:
- Asus will deliver, quality is going to be good
- Better screen
- Windows allows to run any kind of EFB software, e.g. Seattle Avionics' wares

Disadvantages:
- Huge like iPad
- Battery life is suspect

Also, what is the thickness and weight on it?

I have an ASUS netbook, and while it is well designed and excellent value for the money, the company's online product support is a bit hit-or-miss.

It's not a new concept, a few people tried to ship Tegra-based tabs (Advent Vega), and even Atom-based (ExoPC rebadges like Onkyo). The difference is that it's going to be mass-produced this time and perhaps stay on the market long enough to common people to get their hands on it.

Advantages:
- Asus will deliver, quality is going to be good
- Better screen
- Windows allows to run any kind of EFB software, e.g. Seattle Avionics' wares

Disadvantages:
- Huge like iPad
- Battery life is suspect

Also, what is the thickness and weight on it?

This one runs Android instead of Windows, which is huge to me.

But you're right....this one has a real shot. I don't know about thickness, but the weight is 1.4lbs, only 0.1lbs more than the iPad.

There have been a lot of "iPod killers" and "iPhone killers" and now the "iPad killers" are starting to come out... And they've all failed so far.

They've all been missing something key....and it varies from device to device. I think Android is doing ok for itself, considering it's in a constant battle for 1st place with Apple now, and since its being released on more and more different devices compared to Apple's very few iOS devices, it has a pretty good advantage that will eventually takeover, presuming something dumb doesn't happen to Google.

This one at least looks somewhat reasonable. Do they have a 3G-enabled version? How about other capacities? 16GB ain't enough for me... The idea of having another battery and USB ports on the keyboard dock is pretty cool.

No 3G yet, but ASUS is promising one later in the year. There is a 32GB version slated to be released in a month or so for $499.

I'm more curious what Android is like with a mouse pointer. I can't wait for them to come back in stock - already got permission from the wifey to buy one!

But until it's got something like ForeFlight, it just won't do what I want it to do anyway.

Yeah. Foreflight's BS weather app for Android has ****ed off a lot of Android users. While I hope they pull their head out of their ass and release a full featured version of their app, I don't know that it'll do so well after so many people got burned.

In the meantime, however, there are a few Android apps that promise similar features, even though they're MUCH less refined than ForeFlight is.

Yeah. Foreflight's BS weather app for Android has ****ed off a lot of Android users. While I hope they pull their head out of their ass and release a full featured version of their app, I don't know that it'll do so well after so many people got burned.

Burned? ****ed off? Why? They never promised that ForeFlight Weather would be anything more than what it is. :dunno:

ForeFlight is still a small company who's making a GREAT product for the aviation market. Porting it over to Android would basically be a complete re-write, which would take significant time and resources away from improving their existing product.

Just like Mac OS X plays second fiddle to Windows for desktop aviation apps, Android is gonna play second fiddle to iOS. I'm sure you'll eventually see a Jepp app and Pilot My-Cast on Android, but Jepp and Garmin have a lot more money to throw at multiple platforms than the smaller players do.

Burned? ****ed off? Why? They never promised that ForeFlight Weather would be anything more than what it is. :dunno:

ForeFlight is still a small company who's making a GREAT product for the aviation market. Porting it over to Android would basically be a complete re-write, which would take significant time and resources away from improving their existing product.

Just like Mac OS X plays second fiddle to Windows for desktop aviation apps, Android is gonna play second fiddle to iOS. I'm sure you'll eventually see a Jepp app and Pilot My-Cast on Android, but Jepp and Garmin have a lot more money to throw at multiple platforms than the smaller players do.

Comments on the Market:
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.foreflight.android.weatherstation&feature=search_result

So it is stagnant, and they haven't really tried to work out any of the bugs, or so it seems. At $9.99 (which is actually quite a bit for a simple weather app), you'd think there'd be better support and features.

Additionally, a lot of people saw "ForeFlight" and immediately assumed it was the same product. I was not one of those people, because I could tell by the pricetag that it wasn't the same. I suppose people wanted to see "WARNING: THIS IS NOT THE SAME PRODUCT AS AVAILABLE ON iPHONES" or something.

edit: And I don't think Android playing second fiddle is set in stone forever. A lot of people are gonna need new devices in about 2 years. Unless something radical happens with the iPhone 5 or whatever, I think there will be a big shift somewhere (maybe not to Android, but somewhere).

edit2: Forgot the best feature of this tablet: No need to use iTunes for anything. That's good. iTunes is probably the one piece of software on a Mac (or PC) that actually makes Microsoft look competent at something....and they're not.

Last edited:
This one runs Android instead of Windows, which is huge to me.
Indeed I was wrong. For some reason I wrote down that Tegra was based around an x86 core, but apparently it's an ARM after all. Perhaps it's because nVidia did want their own x86 at some point, and it was speculated that Tegra would be it. Now I revisited it and you're right.

Comments on the Market:
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.foreflight.android.weatherstation&feature=search_result

So it is stagnant, and they haven't really tried to work out any of the bugs, or so it seems. At $9.99 (which is actually quite a bit for a simple weather app), you'd think there'd be better support and features.

Additionally, a lot of people saw "ForeFlight" and immediately assumed it was the same product. I was not one of those people, because I could tell by the pricetag that it wasn't the same. I suppose people wanted to see "WARNING: THIS IS NOT THE SAME PRODUCT AS AVAILABLE ON iPHONES" or something.

Yikes... It might be a better idea for them to just pull it off the market, and maybe even refund everyone's money.

edit: And I don't think Android playing second fiddle is set in stone forever. A lot of people are gonna need new devices in about 2 years. Unless something radical happens with the iPhone 5 or whatever, I think there will be a big shift somewhere (maybe not to Android, but somewhere).

The default will be for people to not shift. When you switch platforms, you have to re-buy all the various apps and re-learn how to use the device. I think there will not be much of a shift at all.

edit2: Forgot the best feature of this tablet: No need to use iTunes for anything. That's good. iTunes is probably the one piece of software on a Mac (or PC) that actually makes Microsoft look competent at something....and they're not.

No kidding. I was just making a similar comment on another thread today - iTunes was an MP3 player and it's had all this other stuff glommed onto it. Very kludgy. They really need to split iTunes up into an actual iTunes product that focuses on being a really good music library and player, and another product that handles all the various iDevice syncing and such. Maybe even a third app for movies and TV.

Last edited:
Does it run ForeFlight? I bought my iPad for the apps available. Not because of the specs, price, or OS.

Anyone can build a product with better specs than Apples. That's been going on for a long time in all their markets. The problem is that most of them fail to execute on the experience and fail to realize that the average consumer is not a geek and doesn't care about jigahertz or pixels.

Does it run ForeFlight? I bought my iPad for the apps available. Not because of the specs, price, or OS.

Anyone can build a product with better specs than Apples. That's been going on for a long time in all their markets. The problem is that most of them fail to execute on the experience and fail to realize that the average consumer is not a geek and doesn't care about jigahertz or pixels.

It runs ForeFlight Perfectly. And its only $9.99!!!!

The experience is actually quite nice. Pictures from the camera look great, and the higher resolution makes it feel more complete than the iPad.

And I'm pretty sure that the keyboard dock is precisely what you're talking about: Experience. For those really long emails when on the road, slapping the keyboard dock on the device will allow for a much easier experience than trying to type using the onscreen jobby.

Last edited:
And I'm pretty sure that the keyboard dock is precisely what you're talking about: Experience. For those really long emails when on the road, slapping the keyboard dock on the device will allow for a much easier experience than trying to type using the onscreen jobby.

You do know that there's a keyboard dock for the iPad, right?

There's also several iPad cases with integrated Bluetooth keyboards.

You do know that there's a keyboard dock for the iPad, right?

There's also several iPad cases with integrated Bluetooth keyboards.

But they don't increase the battery life 2x. And they also don't give the user the experience of having a netbook in their laps either. And they don't have USB ports, which allow a user to charge their mobile device when stuck in airports where all the plugs are taken up. And there's no trackpad.

Not the same at all. FWIW, those same bluetooth keyboards will work with most Android devices just fine.

edit: And the iPad's physical keyboard dock? Have you tried it? It doesn't move, which pretty much leaves you with a very uncomfortable viewing angle. And I think its been discontinued too.

It runs ForeFlight Perfectly. And its only $9.99!!!!

The experience is actually quite nice. Pictures from the camera look great, and the higher resolution makes it feel more complete than the iPad.

Not the ForeFlight that is actually worth having...it also doesn't run my apps (yet) which I actually do use on a daily basis.

Not the ForeFlight that is actually worth having...

That's why I linked to the discussion in this thread where we covered that already.

But - I do believe that something will come soon. I hope. I think WingX might eventually fit the bill if ForeFlight never comes around. In the meantime, though, that's the one glaring missing piece - which is unfortunate since one doesn't need to waste money on a 3G antenna just to get a GPS.

But they don't increase the battery life 2x.

Like I said... A very cool idea.

And they also don't give the user the experience of having a netbook in their laps either.

So?

And they don't have USB ports, which allow a user to charge their mobile device when stuck in airports where all the plugs are taken up.

Huh? How does a USB port allow you to charge something when the plugs are all taken up? :dunno:

And there's no trackpad.

I'm thinking the trackpad is a bad idea. These are mobile OS's and are designed for touch-based interaction. Putting a mouse pointer in there is completely unnecessary and only serves to complicate things, IMO. It's faster to just point and touch with your finger on the screen than to move your hand down, move the pointer around, etc...

Not the same at all. FWIW, those same bluetooth keyboards will work with most Android devices just fine.

You were talking about the experience of using a keyboard dock... I was pointing out that you can get that same experience (minus the extra battery) on the iPad. (Of course, the iPad's battery lasts longer in the first place.)

Check out Naviator from the droid market. I installed it last night on my Nook Color and it looks like it has all the feature of Foreflight.

Check out Naviator from the droid market. I installed it last night on my Nook Color and it looks like it has all the feature of Foreflight.

It appears that you are right....free trial for 60 days.

Once I buy mine, I'll give it a shot and report back on it.

edit: Pricing looks interesting:

One time $19.99 fee for features. Then, either $19.99 every quarter or $49.99 a year. Comes with "VFR sectional charts, terminal area charts, IFR enroute HI/LO charts, approach plates, database updates, weather updates, and the low-detail base map."

And when the subscription expires, it still works as expected except you are using outdated charts (and the approach plates get disabled).

Last edited:
I'm downloading Naviator to my Incredible now... might do the trick for the emergency backup. I'm also experimenting with Chartview on my Win7 tablet and am liking it pretty well too.

Has anyone seen this yet? Sold out in all stores at the moment, looks to be the best tablet on the market right now (Apple products inclusive).

*** Note that I would pick a winner for the processor, but Apple doesn't give any specs on it (or RAM, interestingly)

Why specs don't necessarily mean everything (the Xoom seems to have almost the exact same specs):

http://philip.greenspun.com/wireless/motorola-xoom
Conclusion

An $800 10-inch television. If you need an $800, 10-inch television, you can buy a Xoom from Amazon.com. The Motorola shareholders should be rioting.
Ouch.

Last edited:
Naviator does seem to be a pretty decent program. I'm running it on my samsung galaxy tab but I haven't had a chance to get it in the plane yet. Just some playing around in the car.

My galaxy tab is also my phone so that saves me from carrying around a tablet as well. I do think I will wish it were 10" when in the airplane but I think I'll get by with it and my overpriced anywheremap from before the great ipad takeover.

Why specs don't necessarily mean everything (the Xoom seems to have almost the exact same specs):

http://philip.greenspun.com/wireless/motorola-xoom
Conclusion

An $800 10-inch television. If you need an $800, 10-inch television, you can buy a Xoom from Amazon.com. The Motorola shareholders should be rioting.
Ouch.

FWIW, every review I've read that compares it to the Xoom mentions how much faster and better it is than it in every way, so I hope that's just because Motorola doesn't know how to make mobile devices that aren't RAZRs.

Naviator does seem to be a pretty decent program. I'm running it on my samsung galaxy tab but I haven't had a chance to get it in the plane yet. Just some playing around in the car.

My galaxy tab is also my phone so that saves me from carrying around a tablet as well. I do think I will wish it were 10" when in the airplane but I think I'll get by with it and my overpriced anywheremap from before the great ipad takeover.
Who's your carrier, and how does the galaxy act as your phone? does it have all the voice features already or are you using skype or something?

If the iPad could be a phone with a bluetooth headset, that would be awesome.

I really don't want to carry around multiple devices. If I could replace my HTC incredible with an android tablet that's a phone too (or an iPad that's a phone also) I'd be a happy guy. The 7" form factor would probably be just fine for me for viewing charts - the first tablet I had (TC1000) didn't have resolution as good as the samsung.

Who's your carrier, and how does the galaxy act as your phone? does it have all the voice features already or are you using skype or something?

I really don't want to carry around multiple devices. If I could replace my HTC incredible with an android tablet that's a phone too (or an iPad that's a phone also) I'd be a happy guy. The 7" form factor would probably be just fine for me for viewing charts - the first tablet I had (TC1000) didn't have resolution as good as the samsung.

Skype would do it for you, but what I want to see is someone to harness Google Voice's Google Chat through Gmail feature for a mobile device. Would render mobile phones 100% unnecessary.

But I suspect, given their track record, that Apple would not allow that app in their market.

The size is just fine for viewing charts. I just like the idea of having a bigger picture without unfolding a sectional or moving my finger on the screen. It doesn't matter at all in the real world. It still gives 40 miles or so top to bottom depending on zoom setting. Sometimes I just wonder ahead to the next airport for the ATIS or other information.
I really want to try it in the plane.

I'm on ATT. They are phones natively in the European market and the functionality is only software disabled here. I just had to install a new rom and it works.

Functionally, it only has a speakerphone on the bottom and the mic on the side. I don't like carrying around a headset so I just flip it over (the screen rotates around) and use the speakerphone next to my ear on a lower volume. I need to find a better bluetooth piece than my old motorola one.

I actually bought it on eBay as a Rogers model so ATT doesn't have a record of my IMEI. I heard on another forum (xdadevelopers) that ATT (as well as TMobile) were disabling user's dataplans that were unlocking this functionality on their tabs. So far, I haven't received their message and I'm still on my grandfathered unlimited dataplan.

I'll make it to a flyin once I get my insurance hours in the twinkie and hopefully meet some of you and show off the setup.

If I could replace my HTC incredible with an android tablet that's a phone too

edit: This is why I like it better than the iPad. I don't carry two devices and even leave my laptop at the hotel for work. Better size (fits in pocket) and reads just fine for young, 23 year old eyes.

Too bad Apple and the American carriers basically killed the 7" form factor size as an everything device instead forcing you to buy two devices and two dataplans or pay for tethering that is already built into android (just flash a new rom and it's there!)

Last edited:
SC20110510-221414.png

Now you know two zoom settings and kind of where my living room is.
SC20110510-221530.png

Ok, I am downloading the database for the FIFTH time on Naviator. You can not d/l in the background. If the screen turns off, the d/l stops. I downloaded the May 5-Jun 30 database then tried to run the software, and it says database is not current. Trying it again....

So far, not impressed.

Ok, I am downloading the database for the FIFTH time on Naviator. You can not d/l in the background. If the screen turns off, the d/l stops. I downloaded the May 5-Jun 30 database then tried to run the software, and it says database is not current. Trying it again....

So far, not impressed.

Unfortunately, that's an issue with the device (a "feature" if you will). Not all Androids turn off the radios when they go to sleep, but some do to conserve battery.

You need to download 3 things to get Naviator to work:

1. Low Detail Base Map
2. Naviator Database
3. At least one of the sectionals

The third is optional, but there's no reason not to get one. If you are missng 1 or 2, I've gotten the same message.

Remember, the software is young. Give it a chance. Foreflight was riddled with stupid bugs at first too, from my recollection of people's discussion back then.

Other programs will download in the background on my phone - even with the display off. Either way I registered over at the forums for naviator, and Mike is quick on the responses.

For anyone playing with a NookColor as a android tablet have you had any luck with getting a standalone GPS to talk to it? I've got the tetherGPS app loaded on my droid incredible and on the tablet and it works fine when your phone has a signal but Monday I took my plane up and at 7500 over the eastern shore of MD I could not get a signal on my phone so I'm assuming that is why I could not get the two to play together nicely. I'm thinking a bluetooth GPS for when I'm out of phone range would be the ticket here.

For anyone playing with a NookColor as a android tablet have you had any luck with getting a standalone GPS to talk to it? I've got the tetherGPS app loaded on my droid incredible and on the tablet and it works fine when your phone has a signal but Monday I took my plane up and at 7500 over the eastern shore of MD I could not get a signal on my phone so I'm assuming that is why I could not get the two to play together nicely. I'm thinking a bluetooth GPS for when I'm out of phone range would be the ticket here.

I've read reports of other people doing exactly as you are and not having problems. You're bluetooth tethering the two devices using tetherGPS, right? Maybe check to make sure BlueTooth doesn't disable after so much time without signal or something?

I've read reports of other people doing exactly as you are and not having problems. You're bluetooth tethering the two devices using tetherGPS, right? Maybe check to make sure BlueTooth doesn't disable after so much time without signal or something?

Not exactly. I'm using the wifi hotspot in the incredible and linking them via wifi.

Not exactly. I'm using the wifi hotspot in the incredible and linking them via wifi.

I mean for the GPS signal. You will need to bluetooth tether them and then use GPSTether for the Nook Color to work the way you want. I'm not sure that wifi tethering will share anything other than the wifi (and probably location based on the cellular network).

Try it via bluetooth, see what happens.

Huh? How does a USB port allow you to charge something when the plugs are all taken up? :dunno:
Off the device with the greater battery capacity. I had a similar situation in KORD the other day. I plugged in my laptop and charged a cell phone and a GPS off the USB ports on the laptop. One electric plug charged 3 devices.

It also works well here in Europe. I have one plug adapter (plug my USA plug into a UK wall outlet) but I again charge other stuff off the computer.

If one discharged their phone, nice to have a battery backup from the USB port to charge the phone enough to make a call.

Off the device with the greater battery capacity. I had a similar situation in KORD the other day. I plugged in my laptop and charged a cell phone and a GPS off the USB ports on the laptop. One electric plug charged 3 devices.

That's what I suspected, but it's completely incorrect to assume that you can't do that with the iPad. I use my laptop to charge my iPhone/iPad all the time when I'm traveling. Hell, sometimes the laptop becomes nothing more than a big extendo-battery for the iGadgets. :lightning:

I mean for the GPS signal. You will need to bluetooth tether them and then use GPSTether for the Nook Color to work the way you want. I'm not sure that wifi tethering will share anything other than the wifi (and probably location based on the cellular network).

Try it via bluetooth, see what happens.

Actually the way it works is that the app on the droid piggy backs the information on the wifi channel by broadcasting it and the app on the tablet gets the data and mocks the tablet into thinking it has a gps. I can do it via broadcasting when both the droid and tablet are getting wifi access from my home access point or by tethering the tablet to the droid when I'm out and about. The problem I'm seeing now is that when the phone does not get a phone signal then it seems to be breaking down and not sending it's gps information out. I'm guessing that it's because the phone tether app does not send out anything when it does not have network access. Makes sense in a way, why would it forward packets when it can send them out over it's network connection.

But the best part? It has a keyboard dock, with a touchpad. The keyboard dock has 2 USB ports on it, and an additional 8 hour battery, bringing the total to 16 hours. Also, the WiFi only version HAS A GPS in it, and only runs $399. Also - Android supports Flash. the iPad does not and never will....

^^^ This guy is annoying. But its a pretty good head to head comparison.
Owner of a Xoom because I didn't want to wait until it turned into a reality. I waited out Archos 101 for several months; having bought it ahead of shipping; so I'm still not convinced ASUS isn't vaporware, not having seen one up close. There's also a number of promises over the last year for similar devices that just plain disappeared.
Just checked Fry's Electronics and noticed the keyboard is a separately priced item from the pad. And I thought it was one kit. You can get all the keyboards you want just not the pad.
Things get curiouser and curiouser.

I like it.... good to see some serious competition in the market. If only the eee pads weren't sold out or getting a price premium ($500+ from resellers on Amazon)

Back